Expired

Assault at workplace - should I claim compensation?

Found 23rd Feb
Evening. So, I'm just looking for advice, maybe there were people in the same situation as me and they can recommend what to do.
2 days ago, 2 teenagers tried stealing from the store where I'm working at as a supervisor. They were a couple of feet from me when they ran and I managed to grab one of them with the idea of detaining him to get his details. When he saw I'm not letting him lose, he started punching me in the face, shouting for his friend, which also came back and started punching me as well. Being outnumbered and injured, I let him go.
I've got CCTV footage. Didn't have security that day. I was in the store with only one other female colleague.
Called the Police afterwards, which were not able to come that day, canceled the next day as well so I haven't managed to talk with them yet.
Went to the hospital the same day, scratched, bruised, and with a swollen eye, just to be told to take ibuprofen and paracetamol.
My questions are: is it worth claiming for compensation for assault at work, do I have a leg to stand on, and if so, would you recommend a claims company.
Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask
40 Comments
My initial thought is what is your employers policy regarding apprehending shoplifters? Did you comply with company policy? Are you in the union? Could they perhaps advise?

My employers have a policy of advising not to make physical contact with a shoplifters. Just note details and log the incident. I've known colleagues that have given chase, and been injured for their efforts . No compensation was ever given by the company.
I'd second the above opinion. Before going down any compensation route, make sure you read the company policy. If it says don't confront them or touch them, then you don't have a leg to stand on.
Compensation from who?
MIDURIX5 m ago

Compensation from who?

The employers insurance maybe
Didn’t think security was allowed to grab someone like that, let alone a store assistant.
When you bring a claim against your employer, you are accusing them of being negligent and you have to be able to prove that they were at fault for your injuries.

is it the shops fault that the teens tried to steal? Is it the shops fault that you tried to act a hero and detain them? Is it the shops fault the teenager hit you?
farmlama7 m ago

When you bring a claim against your employer, you are accusing them of …When you bring a claim against your employer, you are accusing them of being negligent and you have to be able to prove that they were at fault for your injuries.is it the shops fault that the teens tried to steal? Is it the shops fault that you tried to act a hero and detain them? Is it the shops fault the teenager hit you?

I didn't try to be a hero, i was trying to do my job which also includes protecting the companys profits. It could be the companys fault that we didn't have a security guard in you go that path
Share the cctv footage on Facebook, find out who they are and give them a good beating with a few of your mates.
Contact the police, or get your employer to do so - don't cancel. See what they have to say, show them the cctv, this will help with any case you may have.
Edited by: "tregs" 23rd Feb
dodo828 m ago

My initial thought is what is your employers policy regarding apprehending …My initial thought is what is your employers policy regarding apprehending shoplifters? Did you comply with company policy? Are you in the union? Could they perhaps advise?My employers have a policy of advising not to make physical contact with a shoplifters. Just note details and log the incident. I've known colleagues that have given chase, and been injured for their efforts . No compensation was ever given by the company.

I'm having a look in the policy and it says if you see anyone trying to take property without permission, tell a manager or security colleague. Don't take any risks trying to challenge or stop the person.
There was no security guard at that moment, and being the supervisor, i was the manager on duty. What was I suppose to do, just fill in it as a theft report without even trying to stop it even if it happens in front of me?
CristianC896 m ago

I didn't try to be a hero, i was trying to do my job which also includes …I didn't try to be a hero, i was trying to do my job which also includes protecting the companys profits. It could be the companys fault that we didn't have a security guard in you go that path

You restrained this person of your own accord and need to take some personal responsibility for that.

i assume the shoplifter was a minor, therefore your restraint of them could have been deemed inappropriate force.

you put yourself in this position, it is nobody’s fault but your own and perhaps you should use it as a learning curve to have better judgement in the future
Would you normally have had security? If so, why not then? If you normally have security the company had acknowledged a need for security. They need to explain why security was not in duty at this time.
Other replies are correct - don't put yourself set risk. You may have cause for a claim, but if you have no major injury, loss of income or financial losses or psychological damage then I don't see what a court could award you.
CristianC893 m ago

I'm having a look in the policy and it says if you see anyone trying to …I'm having a look in the policy and it says if you see anyone trying to take property without permission, tell a manager or security colleague. Don't take any risks trying to challenge or stop the person.There was no security guard at that moment, and being the supervisor, i was the manager on duty. What was I suppose to do, just fill in it as a theft report without even trying to stop it even if it happens in front of me?

The policy says do not challenge or try to stop the person. This is s policy that would apply to all staff and you didn’t follow it.

i imaging the correct action would have been to alert the police to deal with the matter correctly
dataload5 m ago

Share the cctv footage on Facebook, find out who they are and give them a …Share the cctv footage on Facebook, find out who they are and give them a good beating with a few of your mates.

I am not allowed to post cctv footage. I was thinking of going detective as most likely they live locally. When they ran, they went on the street behind the store. Had a walk today on that street. Saw 4 CCTV cameras. Thinking of asking the bussiness owners if they can show me footage so I can trace where they went.
CristianC891 m ago

I am not allowed to post cctv footage. I was thinking of going detective …I am not allowed to post cctv footage. I was thinking of going detective as most likely they live locally. When they ran, they went on the street behind the store. Had a walk today on that street. Saw 4 CCTV cameras. Thinking of asking the bussiness owners if they can show me footage so I can trace where they went.

Show the police the cctv
CristianC894 m ago

I am not allowed to post cctv footage. I was thinking of going detective …I am not allowed to post cctv footage. I was thinking of going detective as most likely they live locally. When they ran, they went on the street behind the store. Had a walk today on that street. Saw 4 CCTV cameras. Thinking of asking the bussiness owners if they can show me footage so I can trace where they went.

Oh my god.

do not track them down and harass them. You could get yourself in more trouble, especially as they are possibly kids and you are an adult.
How long was you at the hospital?
farmlama11 m ago

The policy says do not challenge or try to stop the person. This is s …The policy says do not challenge or try to stop the person. This is s policy that would apply to all staff and you didn’t follow it.i imaging the correct action would have been to alert the police to deal with the matter correctly

Imagining and giving advice without being in the same boots is easy. If it is my fault I didn't follow the correct procedure, I will take the credit and the swollen eye for it. I was trying to do my job, and I am very passionate about it as it would be my own business.
Imagine yourself working in your own store and this would happen. Would you just watch it happen and call the police? You should know very well, unless the suspects haven't left yet or are detained, police won't even come.
I didn't want it to go violently. If I knew he would have started fighting I would have let it go. I just wanted to get his name, find out his address, inform parents or school of the teenagers habits.
CristianC8920 m ago

I didn't try to be a hero, i was trying to do my job which also includes …I didn't try to be a hero, i was trying to do my job which also includes protecting the companys profits. It could be the companys fault that we didn't have a security guard in you go that path

Whether or not there was a security guard makes no difference, you had no place and most likely went against policy by doing what you did. You'd most likely get fired if you bring it to their attention that you got yourself injured because you went against their policies. If you attempt to track down the kids that shoplifted then you will most definitely be fired. Stop.
CristianC8911 m ago

Imagining and giving advice without being in the same boots is easy. If it …Imagining and giving advice without being in the same boots is easy. If it is my fault I didn't follow the correct procedure, I will take the credit and the swollen eye for it. I was trying to do my job, and I am very passionate about it as it would be my own business.Imagine yourself working in your own store and this would happen. Would you just watch it happen and call the police? You should know very well, unless the suspects haven't left yet or are detained, police won't even come.I didn't want it to go violently. If I knew he would have started fighting I would have let it go. I just wanted to get his name, find out his address, inform parents or school of the teenagers habits.

If I was in your place in that situation then I would know that my safety is more important than a few quid of stock.

i have worked in retail and hospitality and everywhere I worked had similar policies to not put yourself in danger. I worked in pubs where car fights occurred a couple of timesand it was standard practice to not try and break it up because employee safety is number 1.

I actually work in insurance now, including employers liability and it is as if everyone is out to get a quick few quid and not willing to take responsibility for them self.
also what sort of person goes to the hospital for a black eye when it is massively advertised on the news how stretched our A&E departments are, especially as winter is the busy period. I imagine you had pound signs in your eyes and wanted it documented in medical evidence?

man up and accept that this was your fault. You didn’t follow policy. You restrained a minor. You wasted valuable nhs time and now you are singing to the internet like the victim. I’m sorry you was hurt, but you only have yourself to blame and nobody owes you anything.
Don't try and be a hero if you can't even cope with a teen. You won't get any compo as you shouldn't try and apprehend when you're just an assistant. Think yourself lucky they weren't tooled up otherwise it may have played out a lot worse.
CristianC8928 m ago

I'm having a look in the policy and it says if you see anyone trying to …I'm having a look in the policy and it says if you see anyone trying to take property without permission, tell a manager or security colleague. Don't take any risks trying to challenge or stop the person.There was no security guard at that moment, and being the supervisor, i was the manager on duty. What was I suppose to do, just fill in it as a theft report without even trying to stop it even if it happens in front of me?

Yes, exactly that. Simply log the incident. The way I see it, the company is insured for a certain amount of loss through theft. My own personal safety is worth more than a 4 pack of beer or a few steaks.

If the company were losing that much through theft, they would pay for a security guard to be present at all times. This is where the incident reporting is crucial. The more you report the more it gets flagged up to Head Office. If there is a high level of theft and antisocial behaviour, then action will be taken. Action could also result in a loss of liquor licence if that is a major issue for the attending police.
I'd just like to say that I have enormous respect for you. In an era where the 'have-a-go hero' is a bit of a rarity I think you showed great bravery. If more people did this, the scum who rob and assault with impunity, just might think twice. Sadly, your employer who should be rewarding you, are more likely to be protecting their corporate backs. So, you may just have to make do with the self respect that came from not being pushed around. I'd be quite satisfied with that.
Thank you all for the advice. I will take it as a lesson learned and take it easier.
Also, to respond to the previous posters, I didn't go after them hoping this will happen, having dollar signs in my eyes.
I didn't go to the hospital for evidence, but to check my own health as head trauma can have complications. I can see you work in insurance now and have no humanity.
I am not a violent person and wish nobodies harm.
I am just surprised how crooked justice is, when thieves have more rights than honest people.
And minor or not, in my eyes a minor doing this is even worse. If they shoplift and assault at this age, further down the line what can you except, murder?
Thank you again
CristianC892 m ago

Thank you all for the advice. I will take it as a lesson learned and take …Thank you all for the advice. I will take it as a lesson learned and take it easier.Also, to respond to the previous posters, I didn't go after them hoping this will happen, having dollar signs in my eyes.I didn't go to the hospital for evidence, but to check my own health as head trauma can have complications. I can see you work in insurance now and have no humanity.I am not a violent person and wish nobodies harm.I am just surprised how crooked justice is, when thieves have more rights than honest people.And minor or not, in my eyes a minor doing this is even worse. If they shoplift and assault at this age, further down the line what can you except, murder?Thank you again

So have you talked to your employers and the police?
tregs5 m ago

So have you talked to your employers and the police?

At work everything has been logged. With the police I will talk the following days as they are too busy for these sort of issues to come earlier.
CristianC891 m ago

With the police I will talk the following days as they are too busy for …With the police I will talk the following days as they are too busy for these sort of issues to come earlier.

Rubbish - you said they were coming to see you but you cancelled
tregs5 m ago

Rubbish - you said they were coming to see you but you cancelled

They have cancelled, not me.
CristianC891 m ago

They have cancelled, not me.

What did your employer say?
CristianC8922 m ago

Thank you all for the advice. I will take it as a lesson learned and take …Thank you all for the advice. I will take it as a lesson learned and take it easier.Also, to respond to the previous posters, I didn't go after them hoping this will happen, having dollar signs in my eyes.I didn't go to the hospital for evidence, but to check my own health as head trauma can have complications. I can see you work in insurance now and have no humanity.I am not a violent person and wish nobodies harm.I am just surprised how crooked justice is, when thieves have more rights than honest people.And minor or not, in my eyes a minor doing this is even worse. If they shoplift and assault at this age, further down the line what can you except, murder?Thank you again

Sorry if I sounded harsh, trust me I have a lot of humanity. But everyday I deal with chancers who need to blame their actions on someone else to get a big payout. You will be surprised how many people drive into stationary objects and then insist it wasn’t their fault.

im not saying that the shoplifting is ok, because it isn’t. And yes the justice system sucks and they will most likely get away with it, but that doesn’t mean you should get hurt/in other trouble by dealing with it your way.
Hi, sorry about your incident at work. But personally i believe you were in the wrong. You have put “tried stealing” Did they leave the store? Have to follow strict guideline - scone.
Selection
conseal
observe
non payment
exit

if they had attempted to steal and not left store you would have gone againsed any company policy by grabbing them instore.

I get shoplifters all the time at work, if i spot them selecting and consealing and we have no security on i will approach them and ask for the items back. 9/10 they will give the product. If they run or abusive i dont give chase. Its not my stock - The company like somebdy said above they are insured for theft. Log the incident with the security department if you have one.

I report the thefts to the police as info only just so i get a crime number or log number they dint have to attend. I send the incident reports off via email and burn the cctv to disk then file it away with a printed incident report.

Your safety is more important. I do applaud you for being a have a go hero.

Hope you feel better soon
Kick-A$$ comes to mind.....
I probably would do the same thing it's most likely a normal reaction for you. If you were the manager at the time to me it is suggesting that the company you work for isn't very professional. As they haven't trained you properly on what to do when security isn't there and possibly other issues can happen. If you are a manager you really should have been trained on lots of things from evacuation procedures for anything from fires bomb threats gas leaks etc etc . If not you need go back to your employer and ask them for all these things are you trained in first aid or any other staff do you know this etc etc . Seems like it's just a small company with no long proper produces in place.
The first thing you need to do is talk to the police because that’ll be the first thing any solicitor will ask for, hell your employer should be asking for it aswell really.

However a mate of mine works in a big nationwide company and if there’s any kind of shoplifting etc you never apprehend or give chase because for a start your putting yourself at risk cause they could have a weapon, if you give chase your off the premises and anything could happen not to mention your leaving the store short staff so if they have friends they could go back to the store which could lead to a even worse situation. Especially if it’s only woman left in the store, not being sexist just men are generally stronger and will do anything to protect women even if it’s just a colleague.

I work in healthcare and have experienced a few similar situations when working in a residential home that was literally 3 big house combined and was next to the city centre of a town that’s pretty well known for partying and violence at the weekend. I made a point of working every Friday and Saturday night despite being 22-27.
In one instance a group of people climbed over the back wall and were wrecking the place and I wasn’t letting the 56 year old woman I was working with go out so I had to go out and handle it which ended in a scuffle cause the lasses were cheering on the couple of lads in their drunken state but I handled it because it was that or they would have gotten into the home and done god knows what. I ended up with a fractured elbow but nothing serious I just reported it to the manager the next morning, got praised by the day staff for protecting the place and got a box of celebrations off the lass I worked with.

The other major time there was knocking on the front door so I went to answer it cause, again, I want risking putting the lass I was working with in harms way although this one was 32 but that’s beside the point. So I answered it and it was a guy who was clearly on something and was being about as aggressive as world war hulk and had destroyed the flower pots in the front garden and ripped up the bench which was bolted down. Obviously I tried to calm the guy down but he was having none of it and barges past me. Went into fight or flight mode as he was storming around and shouting went into a residents room, dragged him out of bed and was on top of the patient and was about to punch a 93 YEAR OLD MAN IN THE FACE! I dived and managed to stop him before he did and I dragged him out of the room and the lass I was working with was petrified and didn’t know what to do she went to help the old guy who wasn’t bothered as he was half asleep still by some miracle. This drugged up freak kicked me in the knee and ran upstairs putting the covers off the radiators in the corridor and draws a elderly woman into the corridor and kicked her before I managed to get him and she ended up with a couple of broken ribs. At this point I lost it and tackled him punching him a few times and choking him out as I was still doing MMA back then (from 2008-2015) and took him downstairs in the lift. The police arrived and I had to fill a form out saying that it was in the defence of a patient and staff in my care as I was the night shift senior. The family of both patients sued the guy, the guy sued me for £14000 due to “emotional and physical distress” and that was that I got 6 Yankee candles off the lass I was working with so it was worth it. I just came out with a torn acl and fractured patella that meant not working for 2 months and getting taxis back and forth for a year since I wasn’t able to walk for a while.

But I would happily do either of them again. I didn’t get any compensation or anything like that the families offed me money and gifts which I refused and the other staff did aswell they did a collection but I refused that aswell as there was no need and I obviously didn’t do it for the money.
CristianC897 h, 18 m ago

Well to be fair you were acting a hero because any retailer will tell you that staff are to simply let shop lifters take the goods if it puts yourself or others at risk. You certainly should never grab a shoplifter because that’s you assaulting them and the fact you assaulted a child is extremely serious and you could easily go to jail for it. If either of them have a mark then you will more than likely go to jail and be sued.

If I was you I would not take any action cause if it’s followed up then it will be you that suffers the most to be honest.

Can I just ask why did you grab the teen? You could have left them and simply called the police who would look at the video and go from there cause chances are they will be known
CristianC897 h, 16 m ago

But you weren’t the manager you were a supervisor. There’s a big difference as managers go through specific training to handle such situations and a manager wouldn’t have grabbed them neither would a security guard they would have told someone to call the police and ran after them
farmlama6 h, 59 m ago

If I was in your place in that situation then I would know that my safety …If I was in your place in that situation then I would know that my safety is more important than a few quid of stock.i have worked in retail and hospitality and everywhere I worked had similar policies to not put yourself in danger. I worked in pubs where car fights occurred a couple of timesand it was standard practice to not try and break it up because employee safety is number 1. I actually work in insurance now, including employers liability and it is as if everyone is out to get a quick few quid and not willing to take responsibility for them self.also what sort of person goes to the hospital for a black eye when it is massively advertised on the news how stretched our A&E departments are, especially as winter is the busy period. I imagine you had pound signs in your eyes and wanted it documented in medical evidence?man up and accept that this was your fault. You didn’t follow policy. You restrained a minor. You wasted valuable nhs time and now you are singing to the internet like the victim. I’m sorry you was hurt, but you only have yourself to blame and nobody owes you anything.

Sorry but this made me laugh I slipped on some ice a couple of years ago and broke my head yet didn’t want to go to a&e it was only when it was triple its size my mam made me go as it was after night shift so I just wanted my bed.

I’ve got to be honest I’m not sure if this is real as I can’t imagine someone restraining a kid, going to hospital for some cuts and bruises from 2 kids and act like it wasn’t their fault
airbus3306 h, 50 m ago

I'd just like to say that I have enormous respect for you. In an era where …I'd just like to say that I have enormous respect for you. In an era where the 'have-a-go hero' is a bit of a rarity I think you showed great bravery. If more people did this, the scum who rob and assault with impunity, just might think twice. Sadly, your employer who should be rewarding you, are more likely to be protecting their corporate backs. So, you may just have to make do with the self respect that came from not being pushed around. I'd be quite satisfied with that.

So your saying this guy is a hero for grabbing a kid and going to a&e for a black eye and some bruises? I really hope your a troll and taking the pee
CristianC896 h, 45 m ago

Ok now I’m sure this is all a joke. Your being way, way too dramatic over this and head trauma? You got punched by a teenager who wouldn’t have anywhere near enough force to cause trauma to a grown man.
Your saying you weren’t thinking of money yet it’s exactly what your doing here expecting a hand out cause you got beaten up for taking the law into your own hands. If everyone who got a punch or knock on the head went to a&e the nhs would be more crippled that it already is.

Lastly, and most humorous of all, you think shop lifting leads to murder?? Are you serious or just a troll
So they didn't steal any thing, but you assaulted them anyway. There may well be talk of compensation later, but probably not to the person you are thinking of.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions