Groups

Assistance required, looking for a new cordless drill

I've got a friend coming over at the weekend to help me erect some CLS frame work onto brick and lots of plaster boarding, unfortunately my brother in law returned my Stanley Fatmax combi drill last night and I have discovered that it has some significant chuck wobble (a 7mm bit creates an 8mm entry and at 1" depth a 10mm wide hole) and also from the sounds it occasionally makes the clutch is also on the way out as well.... and its rather fatiguing to use.

As such I need to buy a new drill before Friday, I would like to spend a little extra this time to get a brushless motor and all metal gearbox, that said while I know a little about drills I do not know enough to competently buy the best bang for buck... for example I noticed in the screwfix cat that the torque rating for several drills at the same price point varied between 40 and 90.

As such I have cap in hand asking for recommendations / best price links for a sub £180 combi with a kit box and 2 batteries.

Many thanks in advance

P.S

I have ordered one of these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BPAOZPA) for £128, it is however OOS and while I have about a 20% success rate with Amazons under-priced OOS orders, even if I am lucky to get one I doubt it's going to arrive on time.

14 Comments

just picked a random seller , but for your 180 budget id be looking at something like that. If you dont need brushless then you may find a makita in that price range.

Buy the Bosch or dewalt 18v kit from screwfix and your be ok. U don't really need brushless unless your a heavy user.

Original Poster

refix

Buy the Bosch or dewalt 18v kit from screwfix and your be ok. U don't … Buy the Bosch or dewalt 18v kit from screwfix and your be ok. U don't really need brushless unless your a heavy user.

I'm not a tradesperson but I'm renovating a double flight hall and landing, it's literally stripped back to the brick walls and stud walls. It's not going to be used daily but in the next 12 months it is going to be used for 3 more very large projects.

Original Poster

Before asking this question this was the drill that I was considering

screwfix.com/p/m…07p

Just didn't know if the price was good or if there was better for the money.

dozstanford

I'm not a tradesperson but I'm renovating a double flight hall and … I'm not a tradesperson but I'm renovating a double flight hall and landing, it's literally stripped back to the brick walls and stud walls. It's not going to be used daily but in the next 12 months it is going to be used for 3 more very large projects.

I have the dewalt set and use it day in and day out. I been using mine for the last 2 years. I always find dewalt to last longer then makita or Bosch. But that's me using them constantly everyday. But you won't go wrong with either sets

You would also be better of with buying a cordless SDS then combi drill. SDS are so much better then any hammer action drill.
    If it was me I would buy a SDS and impact driver and use the Stanley drill for cordless drilling.
    Edited by: "refix" 13th Jun

Recently I have renewed about 80% of my cordlesstools (kitchen and bathroom fitter). I ended up buying all Makita 18v which I am very happy plus you can register it for a three warranty with Makita. I bought about 4 or 5 of the tools from a guy called Lucian who is based in Wilsden Green London through Gumtree. He sent stuff out next day and is happy to mix and match e.g. batteries, charger, and cases etc , HTH

Original Poster

refix

You would also be better of with buying a cordless SDS then combi drill. … You would also be better of with buying a cordless SDS then combi drill. SDS are so much better then any hammer action drill.If it was me I would buy a SDS and impact driver and use the Stanley drill for cordless drilling.

If I had the cash for this I would consider it, that said wouldn't either a cordless SDS or Impact driver be unsuitable for putting up plaster boards ?
    Edited by: "dozstanford" 13th Jun

Original Poster

I just wanted to say thank you thus far for the replies, I'm sorry for being a pain but could I ask that people be a little more specific about the drills they are recommending as DeWalt/Makita etc sell a wide range of drills and simply recommending a brand isn't really helping, sorry.

refix

I have the dewalt set and use it day in and day out. I been using mine … I have the dewalt set and use it day in and day out. I been using mine for the last 2 years. I always find dewalt to last longer then makita or Bosch. But that's me using them constantly everyday. But you won't go wrong with either sets

​great drill, probably the most popular I've seen on building site.

Always buy the best you can afford. In my case I bought virtually all brushless, 4 or 5ah batteries and a dual charger. However in your case perhaps a couple of 3ah batteries and a single charger would be fine. Without going into too much detail brushless tools are supposed to be more efficient although I do have some that aren't and they are perfectly fine. Makita seemed to do drill drivers or combi drills meaning they have hammer action. The hammer action does not really compare to a lower end corded sds drill, but it added very little in weight or cost so I bought a combi one anyway. I also bought one of their sds ones which is fantastic.
    Edited by: "hubcms" 13th Jun

dozstanford

If I had the cash for this I would consider it, that said wouldn't either … If I had the cash for this I would consider it, that said wouldn't either a cordless SDS or Impact driver be unsuitable for putting up plaster boards ?

You need to buy a impact driver then you will understand how good the really are.
    There the best thing to put plasterboards up.
    Once u tried on your never go back.
    The ones I am mentioning are the drill driver 18 v sets in screwfix.
    I think they are 159 for the dewalt and 149 for the Bosch set

screwfix.com/p/d…17j

Edited by: "refix" 13th Jun

Just to add impact drivers are great for putting up stud walks.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 34 inch Ultrawide Monitor Suggestions35
      2. Need Some Help Connecting An Old Laptop To A New TV35
      3. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup36
      4. Audi A4 2 Batteries and memory card issue58

See more discussions