Expired

Asus C300 chromebook - any good for gaming?

Found 10th Oct 2014
I need your input, please. Has anyone played games on this notebook, for example, Minecraft etc? Are they any good, or will it lag, like most laptops? My 13 year old son is into all the usual games, and I just wanted to know if it's any good, before I buy one. Thanks x
Community Updates
AskAsusChromebook
5 Comments
You will only be able to play browser based games on this laptop. It is running the Chrome operating system so will NOT have Windows installed. Not sure if you were aware of this information?
Edited by: "ipswich78" 10th Oct 2014
Hi. This isn't suitable for the type of gaming you mention. Chromebooks are extremely slimmed down laptops. They are designed to give access to the internet and light activities such as word processing. They do these things well and battery life is good because their primary purpose is low intensity. They are cheaper too because they don't usually run Microsoft Windows and this saves on licensing. They are generally not designed for installation of third-party software since almost everything they do is aimed towards web based.

As already mentioned, this will be capable of playing some browser based online games but not much else.
Aww that's a shame.....
Thanks for that information about the chrome books, I bought one for my son last March and asked if it was suitable for gaming, the staff at Curry's reckoned it was, however he wants to play Roblox and Minecraft etc. Reading your questions and answers have helped me greatly. I am now going to buy a refurbished Dell Tower and use our own bits and pieces to put a decent computer together which I will be able to use too. That way his usage can be monitored better too.
Good luck to all confused mum's and dad's.
Some good advice is to read up on i3, i5 and i7. Also compare the intel processing of Pentium, Core and Atom.
nontechnomum

Some good advice is to read up on i3, i5 and i7. Also compare the intel … Some good advice is to read up on i3, i5 and i7. Also compare the intel processing of Pentium, Core and Atom.

Ignore that branding at the start of the model name and focus on the individual CPU model - the Q6600, G2020 or 3470 bit.

The branding gets applies to new chips every couple of years so there's quite a spread of performance on each brand.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions