Groups
    EXPIRED

Asus motherboard heatsink clip snapped

I was wondering if anybody out there could help me. I have an Asus Socket 754 motherboard and one of the plastic clips has snapped off that keep the heatsink attached to the cpu. It can be unscewed from the motherboard so is there anywhere I could buy a replacement one from or do I need to replace the motherboard

Thanks in advance

10 Comments

What asus board is it off?

post a pic maybe we can devise a solution.

Original Poster

Sorry my mistake its a Socket 939. Here is a link to a picture of the motherboard. Its the plastic bit around the cpu.

tomshw.it/gui…jpg

I had one snap on me about 2 years ago, managed to fix the heatsink to it with some cable ties threaded underneath the bracket, still going strong. :-D
    Make sure you use decent thermal paste tho. :thumbsup:

There might be some more hard core heatsinks out there that require you to remove the clip and attach directly using the hole in the motherboard. you could try that. otherwise. if you can mate the two pieces of plastic, epoxy them.

Original Poster

bruffterman;5382831

There might be some more hard core heatsinks out there that require you … There might be some more hard core heatsinks out there that require you to remove the clip and attach directly using the hole in the motherboard. you could try that. otherwise. if you can mate the two pieces of plastic, epoxy them.

The heatsink has to clip back into place and is spring loaded, would epoxy be strong enough?

Try Google: ]Here They are called retention brackets (754/939 use same bracket, so buying either will work)

If you got an after-market cooler, something similar to a Big Typhoon. (See ]here) they use alternate mounting clips. So you have a few options.

If your struggling with temperature issues it might be worth just getting an after-market cooler that uses its own custom mounting kit, the Big Typhoon is pretty good although it is BIG.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.

if you do the epoxy properly it's stronger than the plastic.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2469
      2. 5am gym crew20131
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1319
      4. What's up with people creating accounts just to ask for UNiDAYS codes?33

See more discussions