Groups

Asus Motherboard - Help!

Has anyone any recommendations for an Asus Motherboard to use with a Q6600.
    I'd like to experiment with overclocking, and have as much future proofing as possible.
    A budget of £150 would be good.
    Also, any thoughts on a top notch graphics card to go with the set up around the £100 mark would be helpful.

6 Comments

£150 on a motherboard and £100 on a graphics card? You've got unusual priorities.

I recently bought the P5Q Pro myself, although you may prefer the Deluxe. There's a handy graph ]here showing the differences in the P5Q range.

I haven't tried overclocking it yet but it seems to work reasonably well, the software is rubbish (as usual from Asus) and it flexed alarmingly when I installed the CPU cooler (which might be normal as I hadn't had a new one in five years and they're much bigger now) but I've not had any major problems.

For graphics card I went for gigabyte's passive 4850, slightly more expensive (£25 I think) than a cheap £100 4850 but silence is nice.

I'de switch your budgets over and look ~ £100 for a mobo and ~£150 for graphics.

Then i would look at either the 48** series ATI cards or the 9800GTX+ Nvidia cards.

Places to look include Aria, EBuyer, Novatech, Scan, Saverstore and a few more im sure

BFM

Original Poster

Thanks guys, maybe I should have a think about exactly where to spent the money!
    I guess you are saying that there is not too much to be gained between an £80 mobo and one for £150, compared the the same prices for a graphics card.
    Lets put it another way then..... what set up (cpu,mobo & graphics) would you have for say £300 -£400?

Nymrod;3342539

I guess you are saying that there is not too much to be gained between an … I guess you are saying that there is not too much to be gained between an £80 mobo and one for £150, compared the the same prices for a graphics card.

There's not much to be gained between a £40 motherboard and a £300 one in terms of performance (maybe 5%), although of course you'll get RAID, multiple PCI-E slots, more connections, more bios options and other similar things.

I went for a Q6600 (£120), P5Q Pro (£85) and Gigabyte Passive 1GB 4850 (£128) for £333 total, if I wanted to spend a little more I'd have looked at a GTX 260 graphics card (I did consider it, but I couldn't find any passive versions).

So - any reports back on the P5Q Pro? Im tempted but also thinking for future memory upgrades may go for the P5Q3 Deluxe instead - but £50 more!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions