Groups
    EXPIRED

asus or archer router, which is best for bt infinity 2 - whats AC like 1750ac for example?

HI Guys

Real stupid question

Whats the AC models in the archer and asus routers and which is best suited for btinfinity 2 option.

Replacing bt hub for better speeds and wifi

thanks in advance, budget well under 100 - looking in ebay or new (if there is any offers on)

6 Comments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#802.11ac

That explains what the 'AC' part means. As to what the best router is currently I can't say as I've not purchased on in years.

What I will say is what exactly is the issue you are trying to resolve by changing as a number of issues cannot be resolved by a different router and some issues can be solved for free or much lower cost. If you can say the actual issue you are experiencing then people can certainly make a more informed suggestion.

Original Poster

Thanks mate, the wifi is very poor on the homehub 3 (low bars as you move to other room). Not sure if the full potential of the speed we get from infinity is actually reached. Meant to be getting 75-80Mb - nowhere near that with wired.

Read around and archer and asus seems to be the routers to replace with, Needed some fellow hduk users views, rather than reading tons more tech info.

So any advice on the D7/C7 or the N56u/N66u than will make a difference.

AC was mentioned on a number of routers as well as DSL (just remembered that)!

Don't want to buy the wrong one.

godzillafan

Thanks mate, the wifi is very poor on the homehub 3 (low bars as you move … Thanks mate, the wifi is very poor on the homehub 3 (low bars as you move to other room). Not sure if the full potential of the speed we get from infinity is actually reached. Meant to be getting 75-80Mb - nowhere near that with wired.Read around and archer and asus seems to be the routers to replace with, Needed some fellow hduk users views, rather than reading tons more tech info.So any advice on the D7/C7 or the N56u/N66u than will make a difference.AC was mentioned on a number of routers as well as DSL (just remembered that)!Don't want to buy the wrong one.

First, I'd suggest you try the free options available to improve matters as no point spending more money and finding it has little/no improvement. I will say you are unlikely and more likely cannot achieve the full speed out of your internet connection over wireless. Wired is the way to go if you want to get the maximum out of it. I personally connect my server and games consoles to the router with wires, everything else on Wifi.

If moving about is the issue is may be best to try moving the hub to slightly different locations as the prorogation of the Wifi signal can be made worse if the router is in a bad location. Even more likely is that your router is experiencing a conflict with a neighbours set up and simply changing the routers channel can often solve this and improve matters.

http://jasmcole.com/2014/08/25/helmhurts/
    It's more the images that this post you'd be interested in than all the technical text.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9605/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt-home-hub-1.0-or-1.5%3F
    This is one page about how to change the channel but I don't know which router you have as I've no idea what BT are sending out these days but there are guides for every router readily available so do try to change the channel and see if that helps with the problem.

Original Poster

cheers astec, i will have a read of them and see if that makes a difference. Everything is wired at the moment apsrt from the phones and lappys which move room to room and tablets.

Hi Argoj - not a fan of the hubs. Mixed results put me off the 5 ( I have the 3), about its updates and restarting.

I guess having your own getting you more control of your settings.

I will need to check if the youview tv from bt tv box, I got from my bt package will work, if i get a new or used router like a archer d7 for example.

Original Poster

Had a good read, I also need to make sure that the replacement will work with our bt vision box. ABT^ forums and many other pan the HH3, that's what we have.

Beginning to wonder, that is the cuase of our problems.

Would a Archer D7 not the job out of interest, compared to a C7 model?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1517
      2. Iptv1228
      3. Music download79
      4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67

See more discussions