Asus RMA NIGHTMARE

Found 20th Nov 2013
TLDR; Asus/Triage (repair centre whom I have to contact myself according to asus) claiming no fault found, despite light bleed on my Nexus 7 2012. Told somebody would get back to, it's been 4 days. Called asus twice today, once told I would definitely get called back. Called up again before closing, was told I would not get a call back today, could not give me a time, and hung up on me. Was not able to ring back. Warranty runs out next week, worried about receiving UNrepaired unit, similar to thousands of other customers

Long version;

On Monday 4 November I was issued an RMA for Nexus 7 2012 32GB, after speaking to Level 1 team Customer Service representative Brian. The RMA number was only issued to me after sending in photographic evidence of the fault (light bleed) however an email by Maureen from the technical department was unable to determine if the device was on. Subsequently I received an email stating to take pictures with the device on. After contacting the CS on the phone to clear up the confusion, I was told that I would receive an RMA number and instructions on postage.

The following day (Tuesday 5 November) UPS picked up the package. On Wednesday, after using UPS tracking service, I was able to determine that the package had been delivered, however the Asus RMA Status checker noted that the device had not been received. After contacting Asus and speaking to Ray, he explained to me that I must get in touch with Triage services myself, the 3rd party whom carry out the repairs. Quite surprised that I had to do the leg work myself, I got in touch with Triage and was told that hey had received the device and the Asus RMA status checker did not get updated.

On Thursday, having checked the Asus RMA status checker, it said the device was *Out of warranty/ Customer Induced Damage*. Surprised at how the technician came to the conclusion that light bleed occurred do to customer induced damage, as well as being out of warranty despite purchasing the device on 27 November 2012 and having emailed Asus with proof of purchase with the images of the defect, as well as providing a copy of the receipt in the parcel which arrived at the repair centre as per the instructions from Asus, I called Triage again. Triage notified me that they need proof of purchase, despite providing Asus an email copy and Triage a photocopy, their response was; "the engineer may have not seen the receipt, please email it to us again as Asus will not email us the details".

The following Monday, contacted Triage again, to find out if they had received the email with proof of purchase. I was told they had received it, and the device would be seen by the senior engineer by the next day. Called on Wednesday (13 November) for an update, was told would get a call back within the day. No such call. Called the next day, got told the same thing, no such call. Called up on Friday evening, only to be told that the engineer had looked at the device, and that no fault was found whilst the device is fully charged, and light bleed only occurs when the device is low on power. Getting nowhere with Triage, I phoned Asus and spoke to a person called James, whom told me the issue would be escalated to the 2nd level after telling him the details of my case.

Monday 18th November, received an email from Kiona Aalderink; The email read stated (paraphrased) that Asus will get in contact with the repair centre on my behalf, and once a response is received I would be notified.

Wednesday 20 November (present day)- Rang Asus for an update- Spoke to Patrick at around 2.45 pm, was told I would definitely get a call back from Kiona before the end of the day.

4.50pm, Ring Asus and speak to Muhammad, whom I inform Kionna has not gotten back to me. He tells me I have been given the wrong information by James, Patrick and Ray and I would not get a call back today. Rather, I should wait, giving me an approximate time until tomorrow. After asking to speak to someone senior several times and Muhammad refusing, he hangs up. Conveniently, it is past 5pm, when the Asus calls centre closes, and I was unable to call back.
Community Updates
MiscAsus
44 Comments
Why did you not take it back to the retailer? This would have saved you all this crap.
hearing your News i cant help but compare it to my own predicament. i too have a nexus 7 32gb in for warranty repair basically it has been sent back unrepaired 3 times with the same fault (screen flicker). upon the latest return i contacted Asus again and was told to send it back again. after describing the discussion that I was promised an escalation that it was agreed to be sent to the netherlands for a Swap Analysis. currently it sits in Holland and i have been told that No fault found. after receiving Emails from kiona (same As you) they have agreed to Re-check . what a shambles ! there is No way i am paying £45 Quote to return. what Do you suggest i think i am going to threaten court Action (and follow though). dont budge keep perservering.
Argoj

Why did you not take it back to the retailer? This would have saved you … Why did you not take it back to the retailer? This would have saved you all this crap.

11 Months after I had bought it?

arvy1

hearing your News i cant help but compare it to my own predicament. i … hearing your News i cant help but compare it to my own predicament. i too have a nexus 7 32gb in for warranty repair basically it has been sent back unrepaired 3 times with the same fault (screen flicker). upon the latest return i contacted Asus again and was told to send it back again. after describing the discussion that I was promised an escalation that it was agreed to be sent to the netherlands for a Swap Analysis. currently it sits in Holland and i have been told that No fault found. after receiving Emails from kiona (same As you) they have agreed to Re-check . what a shambles ! there is No way i am paying £45 Quote to return. what Do you suggest i think i am going to threaten court Action (and follow though). dont budge keep perservering.

Why would you have to pay £45? Wasn't it under warranty?
Edited by: "Al18" 20th Nov 2013
i was told that SWAP Team sent me an Email but i explained that I have never received this. i think that they are going to muck me about As since 19th November nobody has contacted me and i have No tablet in the meantime. i also have 2012 32gb with January 2014 expiry date. i will not buy Asus again Maybe even nexus again As there is No shortage of problems associated . even my nexus 4 didnt charge sometimes. Why cant Nokia make Android phones like their previous phones ?
Al18

11 Months after I had bought it?

Definitely you have 12 months warranty get them to deal with it, and if they point you back to asus then tell them the law and the contrcat is with them not asus.
Hi, today I sent my Nexus 7 back to Asus... your stories worry me. Mine is under warranty. Problem won't turn on or charge also original problem was a software issue and froze on load up screen everytime. I've read the terms & conditions it says if no fault is found then they will charge me. Because I am 100% sure that it has a fault and its not my fault, I too will fight any charges and decisions that Asus come up with that aren't to my liking. Keep in touch and let me know how you all get on.
leeseddon26@hotmail.co.uk
leelee6781

Hi, today I sent my Nexus 7 back to Asus... your stories worry me. Mine … Hi, today I sent my Nexus 7 back to Asus... your stories worry me. Mine is under warranty. Problem won't turn on or charge also original problem was a software issue and froze on load up screen everytime. I've read the terms & conditions it says if no fault is found then they will charge me. Because I am 100% sure that it has a fault and its not my fault, I too will fight any charges and decisions that Asus come up with that aren't to my liking. Keep in touch and let me know how you all get on.leeseddon26@hotmail.co.uk

It's worrying, especially having to ring up everyday just for an update and considering they close at 5 (triage at 4.30 on a friday) it's such a hassle to make time in the day to ring them up, considering everybody has work, school etc during those times.

Keep an eye on this thread, I will keep this thread updated. Round 2 tomorrow, I hope I get Mr. Muhammad again

I am going to record all phone conversations with them now
Welcome to Asus... these stories are all over the internet. Having owned several Asus products, ALL of which developed faults in/just out of warranty, and having had the pleasure of their 'customer service' I vowed never to touch another poorly built, badly supported Asus product again in my life, whether building PCs, buying laptops, phones or tablets.
Hi
the £45 Quote was because the Asus Team in netherlands state on the Asus repair Status Website : wait customer confirmation-no trouble found . i called them yesterday and was told by the Team in the uk by ashy hussain (i think) that it would be £45 to return. i explained that it was the same fault that had been 'repaired' 3 times and explained it again. after that she said they would contact the netherlands team and sent an Email too. heard nothing since. the item is in warranty till January 2014.
good idea i recorded the conversation and i will with all conversations too. ive had to wait on 3 collections and 3 deliveries . All from a 9-7 quote ! and all came after 3pm. simply poor and from the 2nd return all they did was downgrade software. 3rd return saw replaced motherboard . this has given me a different serial number too !
Got an e-mail from Kiona after sending her a very firm email last night. She replied today, apologising, saying she's taking the case on herself personally and won't rest until resolved (Wonder woman?) Triage still claiming to her no fault found so they're looking at how to solve this issue internally apparently. She asked me to send pictures of the defect AGAIN, as I did.

Will keep this thread updated
Edited by: "Al18" 21st Nov 2013
at least you are perservering As am i. not heard from swap Analysis for 2days so i will contact them. will Post if i Hear anything
Update: received an Email from asus_swap saying despite receiving the Feedback from my myself there was no fault found . laughable is not the word! apparently they are Shipping it back via fedex today. i sent an Email warning that if i receive a faulty product back i will consider legal Action lol . any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
Forgot to mention in my earlier post #11 that the rest of the email read "Please be informed that the repair centre indeed replied that they were unable to find a fault with the screen itself but that it was common for this to happen when the battery on the tablet is low. "

Surely that's a defect, poor quality control or something? A product that has a defect only when the battery is low, what kind of **** is that?

Also I received an email from Shyama Thenuwara on friday (22nd) after I had replied to Kiona's email asking me to send her pics of the device which I mentioned in my earlier post.

This email read "Thank you for sending us the pictures, we are currently checking for expert advise on this matter and the pictures are sent.

Will update you as soon as a response is received."
Just to add received my nexus 7 back today , 1 day shipping from Holland is quite impressive to be fair. Upon switching it on it has a reception bar trying to find reception even though it is WiFi only ! Checked the about tablet and has been downgraded to firmware 4.1.1 - full android on grouper, with no Google apps or even an option for system updates! What a cock-up, I reckon they put the galaxy nexus firmware on it despite phoning up and being told nothing had been attempted lies and more lies!
Regarding repair well the screen flicker seems to have gone - although only after using the correct boot loader will this be accepted by me. Asus-always good for a cock-up!
Any ideas on how to fix the boot loader - I haven't rooted or anything and really don't want to risk it as I want to try kit kat.
arvy1

Just to add received my nexus 7 back today , 1 day shipping from Holland … Just to add received my nexus 7 back today , 1 day shipping from Holland is quite impressive to be fair. Upon switching it on it has a reception bar trying to find reception even though it is WiFi only ! Checked the about tablet and has been downgraded to firmware 4.1.1 - full android on grouper, with no Google apps or even an option for system updates! What a cock-up, I reckon they put the galaxy nexus firmware on it despite phoning up and being told nothing had been attempted lies and more lies! Regarding repair well the screen flicker seems to have gone - although only after using the correct boot loader will this be accepted by me. Asus-always good for a cock-up! Any ideas on how to fix the boot loader - I haven't rooted or anything and really don't want to risk it as I want to try kit kat.

Send it back. Take pictures of it, phone them up and explain the previous RMA leading up to this massive **** up. We can't let them get away with it

**** cowboys
Yeah that is a good shout. I sent them an email explaining the situation and attached a photo of the about tablet. Getting a reply back in 48 hours ....
Could only have been the Asus swaps team that did it but why would they put a mobile phone ROM on it ? I forgot to add that I sent them a stern email on Monday morning advising that it had a fault and I was considering legal action.
I would recommend that you always email them as well even if you have to phone in so you have a copy for your records.
Surely people have got to see sense . Nearly all Asus products have lots of complaints so I can't understand the attraction. I will probably try to shift this nexus as soon as it is fixed. I was soo tempted by the nexus 7 2013 for 130 on here yesterday but I held firm even though john lewis 2 year warranty. I will look at the kindle fire hdx next me thinks.
So i received an Email saying they would need to reflash the correct image upon return . Thi Dinh (who to be fair is usually helpful ) said he/she would escalate for a swap because of inconvenience. Why cant they just provide a replacement tablet where the courier would take the faulty One back at the same time ? soo time consuming this process. i mean screen flicker is the Most obvious fault.
arvy1

So i received an Email saying they would need to reflash the correct … So i received an Email saying they would need to reflash the correct image upon return . Thi Dinh (who to be fair is usually helpful ) said he/she would escalate for a swap because of inconvenience. Why cant they just provide a replacement tablet where the courier would take the faulty One back at the same time ? soo time consuming this process. i mean screen flicker is the Most obvious fault.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but it's obvious Asus is incompetent. How they can claim that there is a fault but it only occurs when the battery is low in my case is unbelievable and LOL worthy.

Best thing for either of us would be to get our money back. Hopefully they do do that so I can pick up an iPad mini or something

Warranty for mine runs out today too, it was a year from today I bought the device at Currys
well once you receive yours back i think it is covered for another few months at least. reckon i would need to buy From a retailer with a good service. getting money back would be ideal As i would get a tegra Note /kindle fire hdx (best screen) or maybe nexus 8 (depends who makes it!)
So thi Dinh initiates a replacement for me after all that. i have to send the faulty one back and wait to be contacted with a replacement offer so i can accept or decline. Why not send the replacement and pick up the faulty one back and kill two Birds with One stone.
arvy1

well once you receive yours back i think it is covered for another few … well once you receive yours back i think it is covered for another few months at least. reckon i would need to buy From a retailer with a good service. getting money back would be ideal As i would get a tegra Note /kindle fire hdx (best screen) or maybe nexus 8 (depends who makes it!)

How so?

And regarding your replacement, did you ask for one?
its written on the warranty booklet chapter 1)general : any repaired /replaced components by an Asus accredited center will be under repair for remainder of warranty BUT for no less than 3 months.

well basically yeah i asked for a replacement after i was promised an escalation after 3 failed repairs. this will be the 5th time i have sent it in.
have been advised by Thi Dinh that they will Ask me to accept/decline the tablet.
the person i spoke to originally about the escalation was a scottish Andy Murray -type accent guy over the phone. cant remember his name. i hope this will be the final time .
arvy1

its written on the warranty booklet chapter 1)general : any repaired … its written on the warranty booklet chapter 1)general : any repaired /replaced components by an Asus accredited center will be under repair for remainder of warranty BUT for no less than 3 months.well basically yeah i asked for a replacement after i was promised an escalation after 3 failed repairs. this will be the 5th time i have sent it in.have been advised by Thi Dinh that they will Ask me to accept/decline the tablet.

Hmmm hopefully that is true the writing seems a bit ambiguous, to be honest I'm not that convinced, having spoken to them asking what happens if they send it back unprepared and being out of warranty all they did was assure me that it won't be sent back unprepared, never mentioned to be an additional 3 months will be added.

So you won't be able to get a refund, just a replacement? What happens if you deny it, they'll just attempt to repair it again?
well the tablet currently seems to b fine but with a galaxy nexus firmware as opposed to 4.3 . literally no google apps (so no email spying lol) i suppose is the only good thing but i cant download dead trigger 2 etc.
i am hoping they offer a new one or i suppose they could offer a current alternative value item. it depends on stock and the guy said they had no shortages of nexus 7s. i just want a working item tbh so then i can get rid. my warranty had 2 months left..
I just got an email update, saying "We received instructions from our head engineers team last week and the repair centre tested = the unit as instructed. Unfortunately we could not find any issues with the unit even after extreme testing. We will be returning the unit back to you in the near future" ... Despite the last email stating that fault is common and normal when the battery is low. The pictures I sent to them also show this.

Light bleed of this level is not normal.... Yet they state it only appears when the battery is low, as if that's OK? Where do I stand with this?
Edited by: "Al18" 3rd Dec 2013
I would stress to them many other links via google etc if similar problems exist etc
What does it mean when the battery is low ? From 30, 20 or 40% etc? This would still translate into a significant usage and hence defect time.
I geniunely think Asus customer service lack a key element ie replicating user experience. If your battery was low and you were on a journey with no access to a power plug then it is almost as if Asus are ignoring your plight as the experience would not be pleasant for the half hour , 1 hour or whatever.

Comparing to my issue when they stated :no fault found, upon return of the item it was on a different product code and hence the team indicated that they simply did not care. Only after a reply to Thi Dinh did He 'help' me by escalating it. I would recommend speaking to Thi Dinh or Kiona as they have seemed to help.
When you buy an iPad you're not only paying an extra premium for quality, but you're also paying for the Apple warranty which is unmatched by any electronics manufacturer.

Avoid Asus, they make crap products anyways.
arvy1

Comparing to my issue when they stated :no fault found, upon return of … Comparing to my issue when they stated :no fault found, upon return of the item it was on a different product code and hence the team indicated that they simply did not care. Only after a reply to Thi Dinh did He 'help' me by escalating it. I would recommend speaking to Thi Dinh or Kiona as they have seemed to help.

They worded it in such a way that the "repair centre indeed replied that they were unable to find a fault with the screen itself but that it was common for this to happen when the battery on the tablet is low"

Suggesting somehow that it does happen, but my device is fine apparently. Seems like I'm running out of options

It was Kiona who was emailing me, however this reply came from another lady (?) Who's Thi Dinh, do you have his email? Did he contact you first?
Well since my tablet is in Asus Holland i reply to Thi Dinh. Anytime its in uk then to kiona. When i received my faulty tablet back i spoke to Thi Dinh who straight away promised an escalation. Your best bet would be to speak to Thi Dinh if (he/she) has been contacting you and explain as genuinely this could be a communication error.
One time i called and a guy with a dutch accent could not understand my predicament and was not that helpful !
I am still unsure of my situation as i know Asus Holland has received my tablet today. I have not been contacted since. I sent an email to Thi Dinh on Tuesday explaining that i would not mind a brand new replacement or a superceded model. This followed a previous email from Thi Dinh explaining that i could accept/decline a replacement (dont understand that -help !). Still no further forward.
Well I just replied back to shyama telling her if they return the device back unprepared device I will consider small claims court
Send your complaint to people that care and get it sorted. Yes, direct to the CEO and they'll pass it onto someone that will help, just give as much detail as possible.

ceoemail.com/s.p…964
Yeah thx garriec i am awaiting a replacement from asus. If i dont get the necessary resolution then i will use that method and even if i do i might use it
googled same problem, I get flickering screen and light bleed when it's dark and low battery. already RMA for broken charger port. was pretty good experience mind as they replaced the motherboard and battery at huge cost to them.
@backyard . what good is it replacing the parts for the sake of it . if they fixed your product then it is only what is to be expected. just to break Mines down , i had 1)stuck pixels 2)charger problem 3)screen flicker. after 1st repair they replaced the screen and charger . two problems solved and only screen flicker remains. 2nd repair return sees no fix and only software downgrade. 3rd repair returns and they replace motherboard. 4th repair returns and sees no fault found although they change the product code and tablet is virtually unusable now. 5th repair is currently sitting in holland since wednesday . no contact has been made for promised replacement.
i will have to contact on monday to predictably be ****#ed about and told some random lie. this should have been fixed first time and its not like they dont understand the situation , they,acknowledge the problem and promise a solution and fail miserably to fix it. @backyard are you sure it is fixed ? at this rate i will get my tablet back after new year and most probably after my warranty runs out.
I thought the warranty was 2 years if bought from Google?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions