Groups

At last the Oscars got it right!

Banned
    In your face Cameron, your ex beat you to!

So glad Avatar didn't win any of the main Oscars. It's popularity at the box office is reward enough for the just about average special effects fest. Can't believe it won Cinematography mind, can it even count as Cinematography??

22 Comments

Yep, Enjoyed the 3D roller coaster ride, but take that away and average as a description is being kind.

just like to add .Nice to see Jeff (the dude) bridges finally get an oscar . Crazy heart did suck but he was over due for many years

Original Poster Banned

Reeferman;8045728

just like to add .Nice to see Jeff (the dude) bridges finally get an … just like to add .Nice to see Jeff (the dude) bridges finally get an oscar . Crazy heart did suck but he was over due for many years

They should have presented him with a special Oscar for services to Dudeness!

Original Poster Banned

dcx_badass;8045780

Its really over rated, hurt lockers not that good either though.

To be honest I was in the "anything but Avatar" frame of mind but I think Hurt Locker is a modern Masterpiece.

I never expected avatar to win tbh-I know many people loved it and visually it was impressive,but best picture at the oscars? never! the hurt locker was one of a few I think deserved it(blind side/invictus as well)

sandra bullock got an oscar because it was "her time",I guess,altho her performance was terrific. Crazy heart is a great "acting" film,but not a great watch methinks.

Just think that "best film" of the year should include everything,english language or not-after all best film should mean exactly that,in which case "a prophet" should have won imho

Original Poster Banned

barky;8045793

I never expected avatar to win tbh-I know many people loved it and … I never expected avatar to win tbh-I know many people loved it and visually it was impressive,but best picture at the oscars? never! the hurt locker was one of a few I think deserved it(blind side/invictus as well)sandra bullock got an oscar because it was "her time",I guess,altho her performance was terrific. Crazy heart is a great "acting" film,but not a great watch methinks.Just think that "best film" of the year should include everything,english language or not-after all best film should mean exactly that,in which case "a prophet" should have won imho

Not seen "A Prophet" yet but I disagree with the combined best picture/best foreign picture award as it would generally mean (unfairly in most cases) that the foreign movies wouldn't get nominated at all.

I hate Sandra Bullock, she's never been deserving of an Oscar in her career so I don't think she should have had "her time". Bridges on the other hand definitely had "his time".

Banned

master_chief;8045792

To be honest I was in the "anything but Avatar" frame of mind but I think … To be honest I was in the "anything but Avatar" frame of mind but I think Hurt Locker is a modern Masterpiece.

It isn't. It's one of the better 'War on Terror' films, but I actually preferred The Messenger of this year's crop.

What it shows is how rubbish this war is - it's early but Hollywood was desperate for a half-decent war movie and The Hurt Locker was it. It was good, but I didn't see anything special in it.

The Hurt Locker has to be one of the most over-rated films in a long while.

There's more tension in the first scene of Inglorious Basterds than in the whole of The Hurt Locker, but that was never going to win.

The Oscars are about as useful and relevant as the Brit Awards.

But as Filth points out, they wanted an American war film, they got an American war film, with a female director for added kudos.

Original Poster Banned

FilthAndFurry;8046071

It isn't. It's one of the better 'War on Terror' films, but I actually … It isn't. It's one of the better 'War on Terror' films, but I actually preferred The Messenger of this year's crop.What it shows is how rubbish this war is - it's early but Hollywood was desperate for a half-decent war movie and The Hurt Locker was it. It was good, but I didn't see anything special in it.

Yet it is one of least political war movies out there!

Hurt Locker was a decent war movie - nothing incredible - really can't understand all the awards it got - especially screenplay (IG should have won that).

There were at least (haven't seen all) 3 movies in the nominations that were better than The Hurt Locker.

The media get a hold of a favourite, and 'hey presto' it wins.

Banned

Reeferman;8045728

just like to add .Nice to see Jeff (the dude) bridges finally get an … just like to add .Nice to see Jeff (the dude) bridges finally get an oscar . Crazy heart did suck but he was over due for many years

two wrongs dont make a right though. Brilliant actor but massively overhyped film, just like hurt locker and avatar (imho)

Banned

barky;8045793

I never expected avatar to win tbh-I know many people loved it and … I never expected avatar to win tbh-I know many people loved it and visually it was impressive,but best picture at the oscars? never! the hurt locker was one of a few I think deserved it(blind side/invictus as well)sandra bullock got an oscar because it was "her time",I guess,altho her performance was terrific. Crazy heart is a great "acting" film,but not a great watch methinks.Just think that "best film" of the year should include everything,english language or not-after all best film should mean exactly that,in which case "a prophet" should have won imho

Watched 'Un prophete' yesterday

smashes hollywood crap out the park. Watching NORTH FACE at the mo and is looing good! :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

csiman;8048569

too wrongs dont make a right though. Brilliant actor but massively … too wrongs dont make a right though. Brilliant actor but massively overhyped film, just like hurt locker and avatar (imho)

He won for his performance, not the quality of the movie.

Original Poster Banned

csiman;8048581

Watched 'Un prophete' yesterdaysmashes hollywood crap out the park. … Watched 'Un prophete' yesterdaysmashes hollywood crap out the park. Watching NORTH FACE at the mo and is looing good! :thumbsup:

Don't be the guy who has to rubbish on Hollywood because you're a too cool for school foreign movie watcher. Hollywood has, does and will continue to make great movies. It produces a lot of dire movies granted, but then so does the rest of the world. Trust me on that as someone who used to watch more foreign movies than Hollywood stuff in the past.

Banned

master_chief;8048616

Don't be the guy who has to rubbish on Hollywood because you're a too … Don't be the guy who has to rubbish on Hollywood because you're a too cool for school foreign movie watcher. Hollywood has, does and will continue to make great movies. It produces a lot of dire movies granted, but then so does the rest of the world. Trust me on that as someone who used to watch more foreign movies than Hollywood stuff in the past.

AT last, I have a saddo stalker. Do I win a prize? :-D

Original Poster Banned

csiman;8048631

AT last, I have a saddo stalker. Do I win a prize? :-D

Responding to someone's post counts as stalking now? In my own thread no less!

Banned

master_chief;8048647

Responding to someone's post counts as stalking now? In my own thread no … Responding to someone's post counts as stalking now? In my own thread no less!

in your own thread, perhaps you should not throw your toys around when someone posts an alternative viewpoint. Just a thought......try it sometime :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

csiman;8048664

in your own thread, perhaps you should not throw your toys around when … in your own thread, perhaps you should not throw your toys around when someone posts an alternative viewpoint. Just a thought......try it sometime :thumbsup:

Huh? What toys are being thrown around, we're engaging in debate aren't we? You're hyper sensitive...

Banned

master_chief;8047245

Yet it is one of least political war movies out there!

I think this was Hollywood patting itself on the back because it's 'apolitical'. I just didn't think there was anything original or exceptional about the film. It was a good film and Jeremy Renner deserved recognition, but I just think Avatar probably deserved it more.

I would've been happy with it getting best director, but not screenplay and film.

Then again, this is the same academy that gave best actor last year to Sean Penn because he's Sean Penn and he played a gay politician in San Francisco, rather than Mickey Rourke who gave one of the all-time great screen performances.

Original Poster Banned

FilthAndFurry;8049238

I think this was Hollywood patting itself on the back because it's … I think this was Hollywood patting itself on the back because it's 'apolitical'. I just didn't think there was anything original or exceptional about the film. It was a good film and Jeremy Renner deserved recognition, but I just think Avatar probably deserved it more.I would've been happy with it getting best director, but not screenplay and film.Then again, this is the same academy that gave best actor last year to Sean Penn because he's Sean Penn and he played a gay politician in San Francisco, rather than Mickey Rourke who gave one of the all-time great screen performances.

I get the feeling if it was overtly political you would be saying Hollywood would be patting itself on the back because it's so political.

Banned

master_chief;8048687

Huh? What toys are being thrown around, we're engaging in debate aren't … Huh? What toys are being thrown around, we're engaging in debate aren't we? You're hyper sensitive...

fair enough. Back on topic then. Do you really think Hurt Locker was the best film of 2009? :w00t::thinking:

Original Poster Banned

csiman;8049784

fair enough. Back on topic then. Do you really think Hurt Locker was the … fair enough. Back on topic then. Do you really think Hurt Locker was the best film of 2009? :w00t::thinking:

It comes very close, for me my favourite was Let the Right One In.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News11
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764382
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32187
      4. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30383

See more discussions