At what stage do you replace your boiler?

Posted 6th Jan
I have an old boiler which has been in the house before me. Must be around 15-20 years old minimum. The bloke who sold me the house 6 years ago said it will probably only last a few more months.

It has had one thing go wrong on it 4 years ago which was fixed.

2018 it turned itself off randomly a few times but then magically was okay again.

Very very occasionally when i have had the heating on the radiators will still be slightly warm 10 hours later as it has obviously not turned off quiet correctly. This will maybe only happen once a month.

Do i keep running the thing into the ground until it is no longer economical to repair (any bills £150 +) and it may go another few years? Or replace early?

This is my first home so unsure how people generally deal with it?

It has been serviced every year
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Is "boiler" code for Wife?
You're amongst friends, you can tell us
24 Comments
Is "boiler" code for Wife?
You're amongst friends, you can tell us
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell06/01/2020 13:03

Is "boiler" code for Wife?You're amongst friends, you can tell us

genuinely made me spit water all on my desk, glad everyone has left the office for lunch haha
Yes to Q1. Unless you know people and are prepared to research and go out and get your own boiler like I did about 9 years back, £800 inc fitted & cert, you are probably looking at around £1500 to get someone to do a replacement for you. Depending on whether you have a flat or castle of course.
Keep it until it stops......mines in year 43 now - I service it whenever the ignition cycle starts to sound a bit alarming - apart from needing a new thermo couple every 10 years or so it's been fine and i suspect it may even see me out.
Look up how efficient it is and compare to a new one, you might save enough on bills to cover the cost in a few years..
We had a very old Ideal Standard floor standing one which kept on going, heated the utility room and kitchen up nicely to dry the washing but never really got the rest of the house overly warm. Then one morning the carbon monoxide alarm went off, fortunately it was late spring so gas supply turned off (nothing else is gas here). Got a new Valliant fitted and the difference - the house is now lovely and warm and in fact we often turn it off as we are too warm, and we don't heat it like the tropics! The old boiler itself threw out so much heat we did have to have two additional radiators as there were none in the kitchen.
If you decide on keeping it why not take out emergency cover. You can pick it up for around £50 a year and it covers heating and a load of other stuff.

At least them you won't be left with any nasty bills if it does go wrong.
If you can afford then I'd get it done sooner rather than later. The last thing you want is for it to break in the middle of a cold winter and you struggle to get a fitter as that's the busiest period for heat engineers. You'll see a difference in your energy bills aswell.
My 20 year old Ideal Classic keeps playing up. I've had two repairs in the last 7 years since I bought the 4-bed house, and I've been advised to have the system power flushed. It was playing up again this weekend; I think the pump's gone, as the boiler flames on but nothing gets circulated. This morning, it wouldn't even flame on. I'm seriously considering a Boxt replacement this week, as at least I'd then have ten years' warranty and peace of mind. And you get the power flush included with Boxt, too, rather than paying for it in an old system.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 6th Jan
m1keyp1key06/01/2020 13:46

If you decide on keeping it why not take out emergency cover. You can pick …If you decide on keeping it why not take out emergency cover. You can pick it up for around £50 a year and it covers heating and a load of other stuff. At least them you won't be left with any nasty bills if it does go wrong.

Make sure any such policy covers your boiler, given its age. My house insurance has emergency cover, but only up to eight years old.
terriclarkfan06/01/2020 14:24

Make sure any such policy covers your boiler, given its age. My house …Make sure any such policy covers your boiler, given its age. My house insurance has emergency cover, but only up to eight years old.

Can't remember the age on ours but i know it has to be serviced every 2 years or it voids it.

They didnt even ask for any proof when we got ours fixed.
m1keyp1key06/01/2020 14:28

Can't remember the age on ours but i know it has to be serviced every 2 …Can't remember the age on ours but i know it has to be serviced every 2 years or it voids it. They didnt even ask for any proof when we got ours fixed.

Yea I took this out last year was £40 just had to be serviced every 2 years as you say. Do you know if claiming puts up your house insurance next year? Or is it classes as a separate policy which does not affect it?
The still being hot later is probably a zone valve issue.

Boilers aren't directly controlled by your controls. The controls open and close zone valves. The zone valves also contain switches which are activated by the physical opening of the valve. This is what controls the pump and the boiler.

Lots of issues with heating are actually due to failed zone valves (also called 3 way valves) either not opening/closing properly or the microswitches failing.
adamwilko00706/01/2020 14:29

Yea I took this out last year was £40 just had to be serviced every 2 …Yea I took this out last year was £40 just had to be serviced every 2 years as you say. Do you know if claiming puts up your house insurance next year? Or is it classes as a separate policy which does not affect it?

Ours is seperate. As i recall we got house insurance from the halifax and they gave us an offer of £50 for emergency cover that was done through sunlife.

As per usual house insurance went up after the first year so we went with someone else but kept the emergency cover as even though we claimed on that it didnt go up.
When the wife gets frostbite
terriclarkfan06/01/2020 14:22

...And you get the power flush included with Boxt, too, rather than paying …...And you get the power flush included with Boxt, too, rather than paying for it in an old system.

Powerflush has a cost regardless of paying for it seperately or it being hidden in some other service such as boiler replacement. The timing to maximise its benefit is probably more important, and virtually every boiler swap would likely require the system to be coincidentally flushed to satisfy warranty terms, regardless of how the cost of the flush is disguised.
To many variable to give a definitive answer with the limited information but the main one is what type of boiler is it, e.g combi, system, heat only?
paulj4806/01/2020 16:22

To many variable to give a definitive answer with the limited information …To many variable to give a definitive answer with the limited information but the main one is what type of boiler is it, e.g combi, system, heat only?

Good point school boy error not including.

It is a combi

Had a few quotes for a bosch one they are coming in at £2300 mark for a 30i combi +£150 for the cleaning box thing + £170ish for the smart therastat
adamwilko00706/01/2020 16:39

Good point school boy error not including.It is a combiHad a few quotes …Good point school boy error not including.It is a combiHad a few quotes for a bosch one they are coming in at £2300 mark for a 30i combi +£150 for the cleaning box thing + £170ish for the smart therastat

what's your annual gas usage (and what percentage of that id used on the existing boiler?)

With companies like Boxt you can have a boiler fitted 'next day' so gone are the days of waiting weeks and weeks for a local gas fitter so it is tempting to run it as long as you can.

I replaced a 30 year old Ravenheat combi with a new Intergas combi using an Opentherm controller and my gas usage has gone down at least a third so over the next 10 years including the annual service cost and the included 10 year warranty it will have paid for itself before then compared to running the old boiler.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell06/01/2020 13:03

Is "boiler" code for Wife?You're amongst friends, you can tell us

unfortunately getting rid of your wife is not as easy as getting rid of your old boiler! just ask my husband and he will confirm this. in fact just ask any husband and i think they will all confirm this, lol.
m1keyp1key06/01/2020 13:46

If you decide on keeping it why not take out emergency cover. You can pick …If you decide on keeping it why not take out emergency cover. You can pick it up for around £50 a year and it covers heating and a load of other stuff. At least them you won't be left with any nasty bills if it does go wrong.

Can you please give a link to this boiler cover for around £50 a year. Our boiler is still going strong at 25 years old but we pay way more than £50 per year for cover.
nannafish06/01/2020 18:07

Can you please give a link to this boiler cover for around £50 a year. Our …Can you please give a link to this boiler cover for around £50 a year. Our boiler is still going strong at 25 years old but we pay way more than £50 per year for cover.

British gas do a cover, boiler and boiler controls. It's £2.50 a month with £100. Occasionally they have £2/month offer.
nannafish06/01/2020 18:07

Can you please give a link to this boiler cover for around £50 a year. Our …Can you please give a link to this boiler cover for around £50 a year. Our boiler is still going strong at 25 years old but we pay way more than £50 per year for cover.

Is there any point insuring such an old boiler? If they can't find replacement parts from 'their' supplier or deem the boiler BER then don't they just refuse to repair it?
Read this thread if you are looking at changing your boiler:
hotukdeals.com/dis…134
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions