Expired

ATi Radeon HD 3870

3 replies
Found 20th Nov 2007
What is the cheapest? Prefer Sapphire/HIS. I can see £135 on Dabs but no stock or anything.

4 Comments

they arent very good mate! the 256mb 8800gt will likely be better than that and can be got for £117 delivered off scan, stock tomorrow.

From what I've read and been told by the various manufacturers (although obviously, they would be biased) they're actually good for the money.

Hardware Canucks

This is going to be a bit of a tough one for me because in the end, the … This is going to be a bit of a tough one for me because in the end, the HIS HD3870 presented us with a mixed bag of performance figures even though its price is nothing short of a revelation. In some games this card is really able to burn up the track while in others it lags behind other cards quite significantly; particularly in some of the DX10 benchmarks. When looking at the overall picture, I have to say that ATI should be proud of what they have done with the performance of this card. In many tests it was very close in performance to everyone’s new Cinderella card – the 8800GT- which is quite amazing considering the HD3870 is not much more than a respin of the older R600 core. The increased clock frequencies go a long way to helping it punch above its weight category but unfortunately, it seems like the beta drivers we used (both the 8.43 that shipped with the card and the 8.44) need a bit more work in certain areas.

8800gt's will be £140 when there is plenty of stock, which is only £10 ish more expensive than these and yet the gt's are MILES faster, dont waste your money on 1 of these, wait until gt's are in stock and get cheaper.

Original Poster

Yeah, I realise the 8800GT is faster...just the prices as they are. If the 8800Gt comes down then I will get that. Will be a costless upgrade more or less as can sell my HD2900XT for an alright price.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247656
    2. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    4. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11

See more discussions