Groups

Atlantic Gas & Electric

Does anyone know if Atlantic do a price freeze offer like BG was doing up until today?!
    Its getting a little scary with 35% hikes in gas!

32 Comments

Banned

No they do not but as they are less than half the price of current capped rates, their prices would need to go up by 100-150% in the next 6 months to make a capped rate a better option.

atlantic gas 2.62p (BG cap = 7.2p)

atlantic electric 10.26p (BG cap = 24.1p)

its a no-brainer. People who have rushed to get a cap are mad IMHO as caps are far and away higher than atlantic's standard tariffs.

You could save
    £15.75
    Sorry, we can't beat your current electricity supplier on price but we can offer you savings on your gas. We can also offer first class customer service and exclusive benefits. Apply today!
    Apply
    Click the button to apply.
    Breakdown
    Electricity A slight increase of £44.09
    Gas Save £15.75

Where'd you get your special rates from csi? According to them it'd cost me more than british Gas, this is before the increase so it's likely slightly cheaper than them now. I would've thought that BG price fix prices would be roughly the same, not about 3 times as much like you've quoted.

Doesn't the capped rate have tiers? ie you may pay 7.2 at the start but after a whil you'd be on tier 2 paying about 3.5? Good for heavy users, not good for low users.

Banned

Benjimoron;2639548

Doesn't the capped rate have tiers? ie you may pay 7.2 at the start but … Doesn't the capped rate have tiers? ie you may pay 7.2 at the start but after a whil you'd be on tier 2 paying about 3.5? Good for heavy users, not good for low users.

Yes it does but I;m not a heavy user so most of my units for BG would be at 24p / 7.2p as opposed to what I currently pay which is 10.26 / 2.62 (BG are 150% more!) :-

atlanticeg.co.uk/For…spx

I didnt include the standing charges as that comes to about £40 each for gas and electric but I get a loyalty discount of 1 months premiums every year (£90)

csiman;2639745

Yes it does but I;m not a heavy user so most of my units for BG would be … Yes it does but I;m not a heavy user so most of my units for BG would be at 24p / 7.2p as opposed to what I currently pay which is 10.26 / 2.62 (BG are 150% more!) :-http://www.atlanticeg.co.uk/ForYourHome/OurPrices.aspxI didnt include the standing charges as that comes to about £40 each for gas and electric but I get a loyalty discount of 1 months premiums every year (£90)

On BG you get the same sort of loyalty discount, so to be fair you should include the standing charges, or take the loyalty discount off the bg prices.

Banned

Benjimoron;2639759

On BG you get the same sort of loyalty discount, so to be fair you should … On BG you get the same sort of loyalty discount, so to be fair you should include the standing charges, or take the loyalty discount off the bg prices.

OK - that means:-

BG would be at 22p / 6.4p as opposed to what I currently pay which is 10.26 / 2.62 (BG are 135% more!) :thumbsup:

csiman;2639780

OK - that means:-BG would be at 22p / 6.4p as opposed to what I currently … OK - that means:-BG would be at 22p / 6.4p as opposed to what I currently pay which is 10.26 / 2.62 (BG are 135% more!) :thumbsup:

I don't get it though, I compared using Atlantic's site and they said they were more expensive than BG. Fair enough they're probably now about 20% cheaper because of the rise but they'll probably have their own soon therefore wiping that amount out.

Have I just got some super special BG rate? Is the click 5 rate much cheaper than standard and fixed?

With Click Energy 5 (BG) the first £260 a year on duel fuel is charged at the higher rate, but after that it's charged at cheaper rates than Atlantic. So I guess if you don't use hardly any at all then you're better with Atlantic, if you use a reasonable amount then you're better with click 5.

As far as I can see BG capped rates are just well above their click 5 rates.

could you guys helps please, im trying to see whehter atalatic will be cheaper than my current suppliers, only problem is i have no idea how many units of electricity and gas i am likely to use. could you guys help make a more informed guess. there will be five of us living in the house

5 of you living in a house,

hmmm

I have no idea!!!

Maybe some more details, how much heating do you use? How energy efficient is the house?

I'd hazard a rough guess that you'd be paying about £1500 a year, use Atlantic's web-site to compare that to your current tariff.

Banned

Benjimoron;2639895

With Click Energy 5 (BG) the first £260 a year on duel fuel is charged at … With Click Energy 5 (BG) the first £260 a year on duel fuel is charged at the higher rate, but after that it's charged at cheaper rates than Atlantic. So I guess if you don't use hardly any at all then you're better with Atlantic, if you use a reasonable amount then you're better with click 5. As far as I can see BG capped rates are just well above their click 5 rates.

What are the tiers and rates for click 5?

csiman;2639978

What are the tiers and rates for click 5?

britishgas.co.uk/pro…tml

How much do you spend on gas and elec csi?

the house has just been recently renovated by some eco company so im guessing that all the house is well insulted and the heating system is efficient.

Banned

Just found them out:-

British Gas Click Energy 5 domestic single rate electricity charges pence per kwh
    Seeboard 21.605 for first 125 per qtr thereafter 7.077

British Gas Click Energy 5 domestic gas charges pence per kwh, with effect from 30 May, 2008
    5.968 for first 625 per qtr thereafter 2.504

These are definitely old rates.

guerilla;2640004

the house has just been recently renovated by some eco company so im … the house has just been recently renovated by some eco company so im guessing that all the house is well insulted and the heating system is efficient.

Well I'd guess about what I said, obviously it depends on how much you use stuff. You can make a comparison using that figure but remember that other companies will likely follow suit and increase prices, comparison sites probably haven't changed their prices yet so bare that in mine too.

If I spend just £100 a year on gas and £100 a year on electricity then Atlantic is better:

You will save
    £22.62
    It's not just savings on offer either! We can offer first class customer service and many exciting benefits exclusively for our customers. Apply today!
    Apply
    Breakdown
    Electricity Save £14.17
    Gas Save £8.45

If I spent £1000 a year (£2000 total) then I would be much worse off with Atlantic:

You could save
    £21.74
    Sorry, we can't beat your current electricity supplier on price but we can offer you savings on your gas. We can also offer first class customer service and exclusive benefits. Apply today!
    Apply
    Breakdown
    Electricity A slight increase of £235.51
    Gas Save £21.74

Banned

Benjimoron;2639994

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/energy/dual/click-energy/rates-page.htmlHow much do you spend on gas and elec csi?

Gas -550cubic metres (x31 to get kwh = 17176kwh)

electric - 5000kwh per year

It seems that £500 a year total spend seems to be th magic figure, spend less than that and you're better off with Atlantic, spend more than that and you're better off with BG Click 5.

Electricity A slight increase of £27.74
    Gas Save £25.54

csiman;2640068

Gas -550cubic metres (x31 to get kwh = 17176kwh)electric - 5000kwh per … Gas -550cubic metres (x31 to get kwh = 17176kwh)electric - 5000kwh per year

How much money on each?

513 elec, 450 gas?

Banned

Benjimoron;2640054

If I spent £1000 a year (£2000 total) then I would be much worse off with … If I spent £1000 a year (£2000 total) then I would be much worse off with Atlantic:You could save£21.74Sorry, we can't beat your current electricity supplier on price but we can offer you savings on your gas. We can also offer first class customer service and exclusive benefits. Apply today!Apply Click the button to apply.Breakdown Electricity A slight increase of £235.51 Gas Save £21.74

Mine was similar so I will await the new click 5 prices before possibly switching. Either way is far better than any available cap by a very large margin. Just put off by BG's terrible customer service.

csiman;2640106

Mine was similar so I will await the new click 5 prices before possibly … Mine was similar so I will await the new click 5 prices before possibly switching. Either way is far better than any available cap by a very large margin. Just put off by BG's terrible customer service.

Yep, the capped rates are above standard prices, which are far above the rates you should be paying anyway. I would avoid capped rates, especially as you're then tied in.

csi, you'd be approx £100 a year better off with Click 5.

You could save
    £12.48
    Apply
    Breakdown
    Electricity A slight increase of £107.32
    Gas Save £12.48

I am assuming here that Atlantic will announce a similar price increase, will be a miracle if they don't.

Benjimoron;2640121

I would avoid capped rates, especially as you're then tied in.

Your not tied in to most Capped rates including Scottish Power.

Banned

col;2640174

but you have to pay a penalty premium for leaving within the tie-in period.

Banned

Benjimoron;2640131

csi, you'd be approx £100 a year better off with Click 5.You could … csi, you'd be approx £100 a year better off with Click 5.You could save£12.48Sorry, we can't beat your current electricity supplier on price but we can offer you savings on your gas. We can also offer first class customer service and exclusive benefits. Apply today!Apply Click the button to apply.Breakdown Electricity A slight increase of £107.32 Gas Save £12.48 I am assuming here that Atlantic will announce a similar price increase, will be a miracle if they don't.

Atlantic are generally last in announcing prices. I am tempted by that ebico not for profit company but will await any price increase from atlantic before switching.

I certainly want to avoid BG at all costs especially out of principle of them hiking the gas price by 35% after announcing a 93% jump in profits!

col;2640174

Like csi says, I believe there is a penalty.

I think that if you decide to leave BG then they have to keep you at current rates until you change?

Benjimoron;2640264

Like csi says, I believe there is a penalty. I think that if you decide … Like csi says, I believe there is a penalty. I think that if you decide to leave BG then they have to keep you at current rates until you change?

Yeah sorry, Im on a EDF fix atm with no exit charges but that ends later this year then I may join the new 2009 fixed tariff.

Personally I wouldn't go fixed, they're fixed above the standard rates. People shouldn't be paying standard rates anyway! Get yourself a nice rate.

csiman;2640190

Atlantic are generally last in announcing prices. I am tempted by that … Atlantic are generally last in announcing prices. I am tempted by that ebico not for profit company but will await any price increase from atlantic before switching.I certainly want to avoid BG at all costs especially out of principle of them hiking the gas price by 35% after announcing a 93% jump in profits!

What? 89% increase in wholesale prices for gas and you can't see that their margin shrinks? I think you need some facts...

telegraph.co.uk/mon…xml

Banned

pghstochaj;2640329

What? 89% increase in wholesale prices for gas and you can't see that … What? 89% increase in wholesale prices for gas and you can't see that their margin shrinks? I think you need some facts...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/money/2008/07/31/bcncentrica131.xml

So a £1,000,000,000 profit isnt enough :whistling:

Wholesale prices have been falling lately actually :roll:

And dont forget they benefit somewhat from rising wholesale prices as they are a producer too!

Quite frankly, no, it's not, 1 billion in the oil/gas industry is nothing, unfortunately. It is also far more complex than a wholesale price would make it look. Part of the problem is now limits of supply, thus LNG (a very expensive way of importing gas) is becoming necessary (etc.) - pushing up UK prices.

Currently, gas is being purchased for this coming winter (based on contract) and this year, it is costing 90% higher than the same period last winter. That's a fact. Anybody that thinks any energy supplier can absorb these costs is wrong. They did manage for a while, but can't any longer.

Centrica and their production is a very complex issue where even the media gets confused. BG Group own the name British Gas abroad and are mainly upstream whilst British Gas (as in the retail company in the UK) is more consumer and downstream.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2597
      2. Free Sky Sports Day Pass if anyone wants it33
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764427
      4. O2 priority £1 lunch to end for good11

See more discussions