Found 1st Nov 2010
Who want to recommend me an atom based server?

At the minute my desktop is running constantly whilst it streams video to my xbmc and downloads torrents. This isn't ideal as its a bit loud and i imagine is consuming a fair amount of power.

I was looking to buy/build an atom (or other processor which is low powered) server which would be capable of streaming 1080p mkvs to my xbmc as well as torrenting and perhaps performing back ups of the other computers in the house.

I have zero components for this (other than a 1TB hdd) so will need to get everything. for now i was going to get another 1tb drive and i'd like enough sata ports to upgrade in the future.

ps I have a acer aspire one netwook which i could cannibalise if thats possible

1. Misc
  2. Server
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Server
16 Comments

Banned

In simplistic terms just buy an atom motherboard, some ram, pci sata card, case and psu.

I'll post the components I used for mine later

I have an acer revo, slapped on Ubuntu, all downloads happen as and when they are needed/scheduled, and sent straight to XBMC which is also loaded onto the system. Perfect for my needs as it can remain on for long periods and silent, the external HDD is louder than the revo!

Original Poster

I have a Revo too, that's what xbmc is running on. I'll second that its really quiet.

1GB Ram

80+ PSU

Case

Motherboard with processor

I had an 80gb IDE drive kicking around that I put WHS on, then added 2 1.5tb Samsung F2's for £92 from scan.

Works brilliantly for me, I use it to stream to a Revo with xbmc and a WDTV. Obviously also use it for documents and photo storage too. And thanks to Master Chief a (nearly) fully automated download server.

I love it!!

Original Poster

Cheers ill have a look at those latrr. On my phone at the minute. I plan to have a fully automated download server based on sabnzbd+ and sickbeard.

guerilla

Cheers ill have a look at those latrr. On my phone at the minute. I plan … Cheers ill have a look at those latrr. On my phone at the minute. I plan to have a fully automated download server based on sabnzbd+ and sickbeard.

Not sure what Sickbeard is, but I use sabnzbd

Original Poster

its a program for scheduling tv downloads. Similar to episode butler if you've heard of that

guerilla

its a program for scheduling tv downloads. Similar to episode butler if … its a program for scheduling tv downloads. Similar to episode butler if you've heard of that

Looks good, downloading as we speak

Banned

sancho1983

I'll post the components I used for mine later

Oooh. Thanks very much. I'll PM my address. X)

Original Poster

does anyone know whether an atom 230 will be powerful enough?

guv

Oooh. Thanks very much. I'll PM my address. X)

Har de har

Banned

guerilla

does anyone know whether an atom 230 will be powerful enough?

For what you've mentioned yes it will be.

guerilla

Cheers ill have a look at those latrr. On my phone at the minute. I plan … Cheers ill have a look at those latrr. On my phone at the minute. I plan to have a fully automated download server based on sabnzbd+ and sickbeard.

Just the set up I have along with Couch Potato!

Sickbeard gave an internal server error when I tried to run/install it

Original Poster

couch potato looks good, ill give it a go at the weekend. sancho i dont know how to help with the internal server error, perhaps start again and if you run into trouble head to the sab forums, theres a sickbeard thread there
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition54495
    2. Free flights to Europe22
    3. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)33
    4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!33

See more discussions