attach a shed door to cladding help

Found 3rd May 2015
We have a massive family argument going on. bought a shed and it's shiplap or whatever design. obviously it's in pieces and needs building but the instructions state to attach the door to the frame and ensure screws go through cladding to the supports behind - this to me will make the t hinges wonky. as the go across 2 slats... I am thinking of attaching the hinges to the he back of the hehe frame and door but not sure this will work. Basically the hehe he instructions are crap and mind I'm this close to smashing the shed apart. which will result in even bigger arguments... Any idea please????

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskDoorShed
11 Comments
Original Poster
It's the mercia apex overlap if that helps or if anyone has bought it..
Looking at the picture here: tesco.com/dir…prd

The hinges are attached to the frame, with the cladding sitting over the top.
I beg to differ, zoom in on the shot of the door closed, you will see the hinges are attached to the outside of the cladding. Looks orrid with the bar of the hinge braced across the gap between two cladding sections.

I would mark around the hinges, cut the cladding away, place some glued timber there to get the hinge height from the frame back and screw the hinges to that. Much neater but a lot more fidding.
Edited by: "MikeT" 3rd May 2015
Original Poster
Yeah the 2nd pic shows hinges over top. might have to cut it away. what a terrible design. The old shed that's falling down has a frame around the door to attach hinges to. This doesn't.
MikeT

I beg to differ, zoom in on the shot of the door closed, you will see the … I beg to differ, zoom in on the shot of the door closed, you will see the hinges are attached to the outside of the cladding. Looks orrid with the bar of the hinge braced across the gap between to cladding sections.I would mark around the hinges, cut the cladding away, place some glued timber there to get the hinge height from the frame back and screw the hinges to that. Much neater but a lot more fidding.

yes they are.
a more simple strategy would be to pack the screws with washers if your not comfortable cutting the cladding.
personally I would cut the cladding as suggested.
IMHO it also looks insecure - a little crowbar or big screwdriver and the hinges will pop off.

I'd sooner tweak the build to get hinges inside - shouldn't be too difficult.

I know sheds are an easy target anyway but that design looks pathetic. Also put some good mesh (or similar) inside to cover the glass/plastic windows.
MikeT

I would mark around the hinges, cut the cladding away, place some glued … I would mark around the hinges, cut the cladding away, place some glued timber there to get the hinge height from the frame back and screw the hinges to that. Much neater but a lot more fidding.

I agree with this suggestion, I wouldn't hide the hinges behind the cladding as they are made of cheap steel and when they rust it will be a lot more aggravation to replace them

Edited by: "mikey_d" 3rd May 2015
my hinges are on the outside, I wasn't concerned about security so I just put longer screw's in to get through to the frame on the inside, hasn't moved although I added a hinge making 4 hinges rather than 3 it came with.

if I was concerned about security I might have put the hinges on the inside instead, might have to replace the hinges with a different type to allow it to open.
philphil61

Also put some good mesh (or similar) inside to cover the glass/plastic … Also put some good mesh (or similar) inside to cover the glass/plastic windows.

very good advice, although I bought a cheap double glazed window off of eBay for 99p, built a frame inside and mounted the window, even managed to find a brown framed upvc window - looks great IMO
or buy some different hinges from screw fix or toolstation
Original Poster
Cheers for answers. Some good ideas and advice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions