Attention all Nike Fuel Band Owners potential £70 refund

Found 28th Apr
I know that not many people have these devices but if you didn't already know Nike in their godly manner has decided to 'retire' the devices, this means that you can no longer sync them to the Nike + servers meaning in a week from the 30th of April they will fill up with storage. Now I paid £150 for this activity tracker in 2015 so to hear that my 3 year old device was to made non-functional angered me, I sent them this email:
-----Hello Nike plus people
Now, last week received email from you informing me of the retiring of some of products. After skimming through the email I thought I was fine as I had an SE rather than the older model, I read on your website today that it was actually the SE as well, shocked the £150 I spent , what 3-4 years ago, on what now seems nothing more than a disposable item! £150 for something that expires! Have you guys’ve heard of planed obsolescence? It’s the concept of company’s making a product less functional than it was when new, eg a cars engine needing to be replaced after a a few years, now the aim of this is to promote, force the consumer to upgrade and the cycle continues, what you have decided to do is not reduce the functionality but render the device useless, and no, I don’t believe that telling the time is useless but just like your car breaking after a few years and the dealership telling you “hey, at least you’ve got a chair!” I do not appreciate spending my money on a device that will track my activity for a few years and then permanently hibernate, no not happy at all.
Let me make a few things clear, although there is a comical tone featured in this email -or at least I tried- I am still rather annoyed, I am a 16 year old who when investing in things, say a smart watch activity tracker, expect it to remain functional for a decent period of time, it’s like me coming to Nike HQ smashing your offices up and saying “ it was time for a retirement”. The old saying “why fix something that is not broke” springs to mind here yet Nike seems to have taken a different approach, “let’s break something that people like and not give them a refund!” Now sure you offered me a generous 20% off but that does not satisfy me, I would like my money back for this valuable, useful and treasure device which will be missed. To sum up Nike, I offer you no ticks, only crosses, good day
Ps
This is not a joke but is meant for people higher up, I would like to be taken seriously, I am 16 but am not stupid, I will not be ignored, to the poor person who had to read this I apologise but kindly request this go to your higher ups, thank you-------

to sum up I recived a reply, they are sending me a partial refund of £70, partial refund but not bad.
Community Updates
Misc
15 Comments
Good on them providing a refund. Honestly Nike's customer service is A1
Hi, thinks for the heads up, how would I go about getting the refund? Would I just email nike? Or go in store?

Thanks in advance.👌👌👋
Great email - we’ll done you!
Honestly, four years out of a consumer electronic device is not bad, I'm surprised they gave you a refund, I certainly wouldn't expect them to do so en masse
Where's the claim form link?
harshiklacmane28th Apr

Where's the claim form link?

There isn't one, the OP emailed them complaining and got a £70 refund.
Good for you. Personally I still think it is disgusting. I think with all these modern gadgets that rely on additional support there ought to be an automatic diminishing refund over a given period made very clear upon purchase.
I've emailed them
richard.kirby20 h, 2 m ago

Hi, thinks for the heads up, how would I go about getting the refund? …Hi, thinks for the heads up, how would I go about getting the refund? Would I just email nike? Or go in store?Thanks in advance.👌👌👋

just pop an email to nikestore-en-gb@mailva.custhelp.com
phox28th Apr

Honestly, four years out of a consumer electronic device is not bad, I'm …Honestly, four years out of a consumer electronic device is not bad, I'm surprised they gave you a refund, I certainly wouldn't expect them to do so en masse

I see why they would. It’s not a cheap disposable product and the other option is a class action lawsuit as they can’t be bothered to pay for server upkeep any more (and it does break the device) because they would rather sell over-priced branded tat through Apple to people who don’t actually like fitness all that much but do love it when a branded product from someone like Apple sells it.

Actually they should also open-source the software or open the platform so people can tinker with it. Many companies do this when their items goes end-of-life.
Did you get £70 refund back or as Nike store credit?
plewis0029th Apr

I see why they would. It’s not a cheap disposable product and the other o …I see why they would. It’s not a cheap disposable product and the other option is a class action lawsuit as they can’t be bothered to pay for server upkeep any more (and it does break the device) because they would rather sell over-priced branded tat through Apple to people who don’t actually like fitness all that much but do love it when a branded product from someone like Apple sells it.Actually they should also open-source the software or open the platform so people can tinker with it. Many companies do this when their items goes end-of-life.

It had lived out its expected life, if it had been under a year old, there would be grounds for a claim, but there is not in this situation
phox21 m ago

It had lived out its expected life, if it had been under a year old, there …It had lived out its expected life, if it had been under a year old, there would be grounds for a claim, but there is not in this situation

I think it's a bit of a grey area, especially where it's not failure due to hardware (e.g. broken strap) but because of it being remotely killed - I think that's the point. If there wasn't a claim, Nike wouldn't have paid the OP, I think there are pretty strong grounds for it.
plewis008th May

I think it's a bit of a grey area, especially where it's not failure due …I think it's a bit of a grey area, especially where it's not failure due to hardware (e.g. broken strap) but because of it being remotely killed - I think that's the point. If there wasn't a claim, Nike wouldn't have paid the OP, I think there are pretty strong grounds for it.

It didn't fail, it completed its life cycle.

I've yet to see any evidence that Nike did indeed pay out

Will you be complaining to Microsoft when the Xbox 360 can't go online anymore?
phox37 m ago

It didn't fail, it completed its life cycle.I've yet to see any evidence …It didn't fail, it completed its life cycle.I've yet to see any evidence that Nike did indeed pay outWill you be complaining to Microsoft when the Xbox 360 can't go online anymore?

Do you seriously think that is the same comparison? The Nike band is useless without the server-side functionality. The Xbox functions perfectly fine without online, as I and many others will tell you; I never played online, only did things like single-player GTA V offline. Also Microsoft aren't canning it after 3 years are they? The 360 is still valid even today as a good games console, over 10 years after it launched...

How did it 'complete a life cycle' when Nike turned the servers off?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants