Attic floor suggestions

Found 6th Jul
Looking to put a floor down in my attic, just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the best way to do it.
Boards straight onto the joists, or
Feet onto the joists to raise the boards off the insulation?

Also any deals on attic floor panels etc would be helpful

Thanks all
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
I put mine on those stilts because I have a new house with thick insulation . It was a horrible job to do but not difficult. When I did mine last year boards were on offer in b&q £20 for three packs and the stilts £15 for 12
You need to use the legs to raise the boards. If you squash the insulation it won't do it's job.
I was thinking that about the feet, but then was worried it was just a gimmick.
redfrank187920 m ago

I was thinking that about the feet, but then was worried it was just a …I was thinking that about the feet, but then was worried it was just a gimmick.

Not at all. They work. They are fiddly to fit especially if you have thick insulation but once you get the first few done it's plain sailing. I found it useful to have a cordless drill and cordless screwdriver . Got self tapping screws in bulk from screwfix
Thanks for the feedback!
I got the loft stilts and boards from B and Q. You can put in how many square meters you need and it will tell you how much if each you need to buy. Done the job quite easily. But I only had about 10mm of insulation so I didn’t have it all rubbing up my arms and could easily see the joists
marshy516 m ago

I got the loft stilts and boards from B and Q. You can put in how many …I got the loft stilts and boards from B and Q. You can put in how many square meters you need and it will tell you how much if each you need to buy. Done the job quite easily. But I only had about 10mm of insulation so I didn’t have it all rubbing up my arms and could easily see the joists

Mine has the full 270mm . Two layers going in opposite directions. Can't even see the joists. Had to do it mostly by feel. Not fun
I’ve laid mine straight onto the beams but that was a quick fix, better to do it the way @psychobitchfromhell has done it. Although a house we went to view with a converted loft had it raised with legs it made the floor too high and the only place in the loft you could stand with clearance above your head was the centre of the loft where the point meets in he roof, had to crouch down to move anywhere else. So just check the height of the room to make sure you’ll be happy with it after installing legs. Mark against the wall where the floor will rise to.
psychobitchfromhell38 m ago

Mine has the full 270mm . Two layers going in opposite directions. Can't …Mine has the full 270mm . Two layers going in opposite directions. Can't even see the joists. Had to do it mostly by feel. Not fun

I can imagine. I did it because I was getting 270mm installed by Eon.
jayonline853 m ago

I’ve laid mine straight onto the beams but that was a quick fix, better to …I’ve laid mine straight onto the beams but that was a quick fix, better to do it the way @psychobitchfromhell has done it. Although a house we went to view with a converted loft had it raised with legs it made the floor too high and the only place in the loft you could stand with clearance above your head was the centre of the loft where the point meets in he roof, had to crouch down to move anywhere else. So just check the height of the room to make sure you’ll be happy with it after installing legs. Mark against the wall where the floor will rise to.

Mine has plenty of headroom. My son can stand up in it and he's not much shy of six foot.
marshy514 m ago

I can imagine. I did it because I was getting 270mm installed by Eon.

That's lucky. Win win sceario
jayonline8541 m ago

I’ve laid mine straight onto the beams but that was a quick fix, better to …I’ve laid mine straight onto the beams but that was a quick fix, better to do it the way @psychobitchfromhell has done it. Although a house we went to view with a converted loft had it raised with legs it made the floor too high and the only place in the loft you could stand with clearance above your head was the centre of the loft where the point meets in he roof, had to crouch down to move anywhere else. So just check the height of the room to make sure you’ll be happy with it after installing legs. Mark against the wall where the floor will rise to.

Thanks Jay my ceiling is very high, so I don't imagine it'll be an issue.

I've got a pull down hatch with ladder, is there no danger that putting in the stilts would create an extra "step" into the attic? Potentially dangerous if I was to misjudge the distance...
redfrank18791 h, 16 m ago

Thanks Jay my ceiling is very high, so I don't imagine it'll be an issue. …Thanks Jay my ceiling is very high, so I don't imagine it'll be an issue. I've got a pull down hatch with ladder, is there no danger that putting in the stilts would create an extra "step" into the attic? Potentially dangerous if I was to misjudge the distance...

It would be an extra step, as it would be higher than where your ladder goes to. We don’t have a lot of height in ours roof is quite shallow and you can’t even stand up. We just put ours on top of the insulation and compressed the insulation it’s supposed to be less efficient by about 50% but we don’t seem to see an issue, probably because we only use the middle zone less than three board width and it’s generally full to the brim with airflow and I think that helps with insulating it.
redfrank187915 h, 0 m ago

Thanks Jay my ceiling is very high, so I don't imagine it'll be an issue. …Thanks Jay my ceiling is very high, so I don't imagine it'll be an issue. I've got a pull down hatch with ladder, is there no danger that putting in the stilts would create an extra "step" into the attic? Potentially dangerous if I was to misjudge the distance...

Cant you refix the ladder to the higher position then you wont have the step.
markvirgo2 h, 59 m ago

Cant you refix the ladder to the higher position then you wont have the …Cant you refix the ladder to the higher position then you wont have the step.

It's currently resting on joists and probably would need a carpenter to call to adjust.

Suppose I can do that if it absolutely needs it 🏻
How about laying the boards straight onto the joists 3 foot around the area of the loft hatch and then using the stilts on the surrounding area?. That way any small step will be away from the loft hatch entrance, then you wouldn’t need to adjust the ladder.
Toptrumpet7th Jul

How about laying the boards straight onto the joists 3 foot around the …How about laying the boards straight onto the joists 3 foot around the area of the loft hatch and then using the stilts on the surrounding area?. That way any small step will be away from the loft hatch entrance, then you wouldn’t need to adjust the ladder.

That's actually a decent idea. Might be worth considering when I get to laying the boards.

Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants