Groups

Attic Storage

just been up in the attic of our new home to see about storage.

the whole attic is covered with insulation, nothing to actually put our boxes on.

is it just a case of throwing some wooden boards over the insulation then putting the items onto the boards?

14 Comments

Yes, basically. I found Wickes were the cheapest recently 3 packs for £10 I think.

Just be careful of the electrical wires as they cross the rafters when screwing down the boards.

The recommended thickness for insulation is actually larger than the height of most floor joists, so a better job would be increase the height of the joists by screwing on additional timber, before laying boards

A lot of faff, but this keeps the insulation working at it's best

Banned

wbmkk

The recommended thickness for insulation is actually larger than the … The recommended thickness for insulation is actually larger than the height of most floor joists, so a better job would be increase the height of the joists by screwing on additional timber, before laying boardsA lot of faff, but this keeps the insulation working at it's best

I just squashed mine down, I know it says not to but what the hell

What were you expecting to see OP?

Banned

qwerta369

treasure, a dead body, a wasps nest these are all the things I've found in past attic spaces.

lumoruk

treasure, a dead body, a wasps nest these are all the things I've found … treasure, a dead body, a wasps nest these are all the things I've found in past attic spaces.

You found a body in the attic...! oO
    I hope it was not a human body....

rsethi

You found a body in the attic...! oOI hope it was not a human body....

it was JFKs.

Original Poster

qwerta369

my attics in the past have already been boarded up, with walk spaces.

just asking if its a case of boarding over the insulation.

wbmkk

The recommended thickness for insulation is actually larger than the … The recommended thickness for insulation is actually larger than the height of most floor joists, so a better job would be increase the height of the joists by screwing on additional timber, before laying boardsA lot of faff, but this keeps the insulation working at it's best

Good advice, if insulation is squashed down, then it loses it's insulation properties.

Original Poster

thanks for your replies,

uh oh, extending the height of the joists seems like a big job.
    Edited by: "Yuzo" 7th Jan 2011

I was also going to get a load of board and screw them down in the attic, problem is... This is not really supposed to support weight is it???? Or can it???

Banned

Chiptivo

I was also going to get a load of board and screw them down in the attic, … I was also going to get a load of board and screw them down in the attic, problem is... This is not really supposed to support weight is it???? Or can it???

Depends what type of board, if it's the loft panels at wickes then yes you can

£5.85 for 3

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/invt/116420/Loft-Panels_large.jpg

lumoruk

Depends what type of board, if it's the loft panels at wickes then yes … Depends what type of board, if it's the loft panels at wickes then yes you can £5.85 for 3

Yes, but will this support weight. i.e walking across the ceiling thin beams???
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. BT FIBRE EXISTING CUSTOMER810
      2. CAR QUESTION: Difference Between Lexus IS300 and Lexus IS300h?48
      3. Best laptop for a budget of £700?11
      4. Free EE data (contract)11

See more discussions