Groups

Attitudes and outlets Post Brexit

The thing is I work in the food industry and personally I have found Post Brexit there has been a few more "snobs" than usual. I mean I understand how people might judge others different that is normal, the reason I am posting is why there is more of these people. IT is okay to keep your opinion to yourself and no need to give cues either verbal or non verbal about your stance or what you think about how I should do my job.

One very real example at my job is the waiting time for customers who have to put their order through, during busy periods this might take more than a minute or two. This has not changed, the issue is who is serving, if a customer sees an "English" woman serving they are more than happy to wait on the other hand if there is a non-English lady serving they feel more entitled to express their rights in such terms as 'it was never like this before' (politely) or perhaps followed by the death stare... Alright not to go on a tirade but a little forbearance does not hurt any one.

Seriously I just wanted to know who clicked on the switch for snobbery? I stress, and honestly do not believe that customers are being more derogatory because of races however what I am stating is that people in Britain feel more entitled to express their opinion about "their rights" but the thing is I have the same rights as you, just because we left the EU does not automatically mean Britain is going to be divided by who is most English. Let me tell you something not everyone working likes to hear you on a tirade thank you. Please bear that in mind.

91 Comments

First of all unless you see the same person behaving differently between a British colleague and a non-British colleague I think it is unfair to make assumptions.
    What I will say is maybe now that tensions have been heightened by the referendum, you are now aware of it and are maybe seeing things a little differently and how people may behave, although they may have been there all the while.
    One thing I have found in your industry is that there are people who feel they can talk down to those who are serving them, as some kind of delusional power trip, because they feel they are better. I can't stand it, personally - there's no reason to be impolite to someone who's giving you a good or service.

Original Poster

drasim

First of all unless you see the same person behaving differently between … First of all unless you see the same person behaving differently between a British colleague and a non-British colleague I think it is unfair to make assumptions. What I will say is maybe now that tensions have been heightened by the referendum, you are now aware of it and are maybe seeing things a little differently and how people may behave, although they may have been there all the while.One thing I have found in your industry is that there are people who feel they can talk down to those who are serving them, as some kind of delusional power trip, because they feel they are better. I can't stand it, personally - there's no reason to be impolite to someone who's giving you a good or service.

Yeah maybe that is true. However we have a high footfall and repeat customers every week. Personally I have found there has been a change in attitudes of those people who use our food business. I am in no way stating this is because of race or whatsoever, at least not in that instance. What I am saying is that how people respond because of whether they think you are or are not English for the same service (checking out a product during busy periods) has changed. While the majority of customers I have had no issue with. The main thing I am pointing out is that they are more open to criticise or exercise what they think is their rights in terms of customer service. I am not paid to be talked rudely to but I have found some people are behaving this way more often.

Original Poster

On a different point I saw on the news that race crime has gone up more than 58% Post Brexit. That is not what I am referring to, I would like to very clearly point out what I am asking about is why there so much more snobs and high senses of self entitlement from customers.

I really enjoy sausage and egg mcmuffins

Original Poster

The thing is there is a very real chance there will be more jobs around Post Brexit as I can see some people quitting already especially in the services industries. The real cost will be productivity, it is too soon to say whether quality will drop. It could improve. But I am putting my foot down, there is no need for all this drama.

makemakemaker

On a different point I saw on the news that race crime has gone up more … On a different point I saw on the news that race crime has gone up more than 58% Post Brexit. That is not what I am referring to, I would like to very clearly point out what I am asking about is why there so much more snobs and high senses of self entitlement from customers.

As Drasim stated some people just think they can speak to people in service industries that way.
    Reasonable people treat others as they expect to be treated themselves.

benjammin316

I hope you ask for it nicely

Original Poster

Treboeth

I hope you ask for it nicely

I hope that is the case and not me being more sensitive as it has been flagged so often. But experience does not seem to be like that. I hope it all dies down. I live in a small town so people not liking change is giving but when your neighbor down the road for the last ten years comes down and acts that way it really feels like listening to teeth scraping a chalkboard.

Original Poster

@ Ceres wouldn't let me post the comment correctly.

What I was saying was that that is what I have felt from my own experience. The reason I put it like that is so people do not draw negative connations to that, as that is not why I raised it but inevitably you can't take the context away from the situation. How can you make toast without burning the bread. Which is why I have so phrased it. Apologies if you misunderstood.
    Edited by: "makemakemaker" 9th Sep 2016

I think some people are just plain ignorant full stop, and feel entitled to speak up over things that in reality do not really matter.

I stalled my car at the lights the other day left it in 2nd, as such it was green I held everyone up but one guy was honking his horn at me like I had done it on purpose, wasnt going to change anything, but made him feel better calling me a **** and honking at me like I had just nearly caused a major crash. when in reality I made him wait for 10 more seconds while I started my car and then drove off again.

haritori

I think some people are just plain ignorant full stop, and feel entitled … I think some people are just plain ignorant full stop, and feel entitled to speak up over things that in reality do not really matter.I stalled my car at the lights the other day left it in 2nd, as such it was green I held everyone up but one guy was honking his horn at me like I had done it on purpose, wasnt going to change anything, but made him feel better calling me a **** and honking at me like I had just nearly caused a major crash. when in reality I made him wait for 10 more seconds while I started my car and then drove off again.

Heres a similar case after a motorway crash
    google.co.uk/url…d2s
    Some people are impatient and lacking in brain cells.

Original Poster

haritori

I think some people are just plain ignorant full stop, and feel entitled … I think some people are just plain ignorant full stop, and feel entitled to speak up over things that in reality do not really matter.I stalled my car at the lights the other day left it in 2nd, as such it was green I held everyone up but one guy was honking his horn at me like I had done it on purpose, wasnt going to change anything, but made him feel better calling me a **** and honking at me like I had just nearly caused a major crash. when in reality I made him wait for 10 more seconds while I started my car and then drove off again.

That is probably true but I personally feel is that there has been a bunch more of these people around. Leaving the EU was supposed to help people living here to have better conditions and more competitive living standards but I have not felt any thing good so far. If anything it might have pushed up my immediate holiday prices (possible visa needed later?) and the exchange rate not so good right now.

Original Poster

ceres

So really, despite your protestations to the contrary and attempts to … So really, despite your protestations to the contrary and attempts to dress it up as 'snobbery', this is about race? Staff who appear 'more English' are treated differently than staff who appear 'less English' by customers? Because of Brexit?

No I was asking why people are more snobby and feel more self entitled. The example I gave is just an example, I don't understand why you are focusing on it so much. If you have any questions or something you feel the need to discuss to that extent you can post it on another thread.

makemakemaker

Yeah maybe that is true. However we have a high footfall and repeat … Yeah maybe that is true. However we have a high footfall and repeat customers every week. Personally I have found there has been a change in attitudes of those people who use our food business. I am in no way stating this is because of race or whatsoever, at least not in that instance. What I am saying is that how people respond because of whether they think you are or are not English for the same service (checking out a product during busy periods) has changed. While the majority of customers I have had no issue with. The main thing I am pointing out is that they are more open to criticise or exercise what they think is their rights in terms of customer service. I am not paid to be talked rudely to but I have found some people are behaving this way more often.

I think you'd probably need to separate the two points of discussion: 1) Customer Entitlement and 2) Behaviour toward Non-British workers, to not make this a race debate.

If we talk about the aspects of customer service, in my line of work I haven't seen any behavioral change in end consumers. I still see those who think it's alright to get lawyers involved if they open up a pack of knives in a shop and get injured from being an idiot. I also see those who think they are entitled to have a saucepan replaced under warranty after 30 years of owning it and will jump up and down until it's done. I don't think entitlement is related to the referendum at all.

In regards to behaviours towards non-nationals, I think it will be interesting to hear of other people's experiences. If I take experiences of myself - for voting leave I have been called racist, and a friend of mine received death threats.
    Also, you'd need to break down your race violence statistics for clarity, as it can literally account for anything between White on Black, Black on White, White on Asian, Asian on Black, etc. Obviously statistics go up and down month on month so it would be useful to know timescales and previous statistics.

Original Poster

Treboeth

Heres a similar case after a motorway … Heres a similar case after a motorway crashhttps://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj58eGWnIPPAhXGzRoKHY7TCcUQqQIIHzAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmetro.co.uk%2F2016%2F09%2F08%2Fformer-soldier-slams-impatient-drivers-after-shielding-crash-victim-with-lorry-6116088%2F&usg=AFQjCNFm8iHEBPiDMbjR0YuqeSYzXkwbxg&sig2=aYMgAA65eC4zR4Zykrb36Q&bvm=bv.131783435,d.d2sSome people are impatient and lacking in brain cells.

Yeah I guess I will take it that way then. It just feels different, I mean like another poster who commented it might because I am more sensitive to this issue as it has been flagged and the area I work in. But I just felt exasperated so I posted to ask around is all. Thanks for being sincere and replying to my post.

benjammin316

I dunno, I think Bacon and Egg McMuffins are where it's at - and with scrambled egg, not that cuttable egg product they call 'round egg' X)

makemakemaker

That is probably true but I personally feel is that there has been a … That is probably true but I personally feel is that there has been a bunch more of these people around. Leaving the EU was supposed to help people living here to have better conditions and more competitive living standards but I have not felt any thing good so far. If anything it might have pushed up my immediate holiday prices (possible visa needed later?) and the exchange rate not so good right now.

​good for exports tbh

why do you relate rudeness based on race with Brexit?

Original Poster

drasim

I think you'd probably need to separate the two points of discussion: 1) … I think you'd probably need to separate the two points of discussion: 1) Customer Entitlement and 2) Behaviour toward Non-British workers, to not make this a race debate.If we talk about the aspects of customer service, in my line of work I haven't seen any behavioral change in end consumers. I still see those who think it's alright to get lawyers involved if they open up a pack of knives in a shop and get injured from being an idiot. I also see those who think they are entitled to have a saucepan replaced under warranty after 30 years of owning it and will jump up and down until it's done. I don't think entitlement is related to the referendum at all.In regards to behaviours towards non-nationals, I think it will be interesting to hear of other people's experiences. If I take experiences of myself - for voting leave I have been called racist, and a friend of mine received death threats.Also, you'd need to break down your race violence statistics for clarity, as it can literally account for anything between White on Black, Black on White, White on Asian, Asian on Black, etc. Obviously statistics go up and down month on month so it would be useful to know timescales and previous statistics.

Look I was just posting to express my own opinion and experience there is no need to be pedantic and argue over every single point. That is not why I posted, I posted to try to understand others opinion or see what other people thought and to share. Maybe I gave a bad example but I cannot make up just to start an argument, the thing is I am not arguing, I was asking a question. If it bothers you that much then I can't help that.

Furthermore i am happy you shared your opinion but not how you are rephrasing what I think I am saying. But people who can read can decide themselves. In any case then so after voting to leave have you or do you think you felt any changes or benefited ?

drasim

I dunno, I think Bacon and Egg McMuffins are where it's at - and with … I dunno, I think Bacon and Egg McMuffins are where it's at - and with scrambled egg, not that cuttable egg product they call 'round egg' X)

I love them round eggs!

You can buy the circular sausage patty from Iceland too!

Treboeth

Heres a similar case after a motorway … Heres a similar case after a motorway crashhttps://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj58eGWnIPPAhXGzRoKHY7TCcUQqQIIHzAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmetro.co.uk%2F2016%2F09%2F08%2Fformer-soldier-slams-impatient-drivers-after-shielding-crash-victim-with-lorry-6116088%2F&usg=AFQjCNFm8iHEBPiDMbjR0YuqeSYzXkwbxg&sig2=aYMgAA65eC4zR4Zykrb36Q&bvm=bv.131783435,d.d2sSome people are impatient and lacking in brain cells.

Terrible.

benjammin316

I love them round eggs! You can buy the circular sausage patty from … I love them round eggs! You can buy the circular sausage patty from Iceland too!

Stop pushing your own agenda

Some of us like to get the square sausages from Farmfoods as they fit in between 2 slices of bread to the edge

Original Poster

davewave

why do you relate rudeness based on race with Brexit?

I didn't that was just the example, I probably chose a bad one because another poster misunderstood what I said. However that is the example that happened in RL, would it have been better if i called a bean a pea then? Like I said we have a high footfall in the business I work at and repeat customers, so that is just my experience only. Whether my sensitivity to it has guided my experience, that might be the case. But the point of posting a topic I want is that it my topic and my experience which I have reiterated several fold.

benjammin316

I love them round eggs! You can buy the circular sausage patty from … I love them round eggs! You can buy the circular sausage patty from Iceland too!

I made the patties once, some youtube guide, they were disgusting

haritori

I made the patties once, some youtube guide, they were disgusting

Thats why I never bother making things from scratch

Treboeth

Stop pushing your own agenda :pSome of us like to get the square sausages … Stop pushing your own agenda :pSome of us like to get the square sausages from Farmfoods as they fit in between 2 slices of bread to the edge

I think your both clearly overlooking sausage shaped sausages, everything was alright with the sausage world before the square and round sausages come over here, send em back i say

Treboeth

Stop pushing your own agenda :pSome of us like to get the square sausages … Stop pushing your own agenda :pSome of us like to get the square sausages from Farmfoods as they fit in between 2 slices of bread to the edge

Vote circle into power! Succumb to the circular god

haritori

I think your both clearly overlooking sausage shaped sausages, everything … I think your both clearly overlooking sausage shaped sausages, everything was alright with the sausage world before the square and round sausages come over here, send em back i say

They are equals like the sausage shaped sausage.

They look different, but they're the same on the inside

makemakemaker

Look I was just posting to express my own opinion and experience there is … Look I was just posting to express my own opinion and experience there is no need to be pedantic and argue over every single point. That is not why I posted, I posted to try to understand others opinion or see what other people thought and to share. Maybe I gave a bad example but I cannot make up just to start an argument, the thing is I am not arguing, I was asking a question. If it bothers you that much then I can't help that. Furthermore i am happy you shared your opinion but not how you are rephrasing what I think I am saying. But people who can read can decide themselves. In any case then so after voting to leave have you or do you think you felt any changes or benefited ?

I'm not arguing either - I'm just offering you another opinion and personal experience, the same as you have.
    If you mean I am being pedantic in regards to statistics, it's very important in a discussion. For example, in previous work if I threw a piece of paper at you, that would be classed as an assault, therefore it becomes a statistic on violence. Whether it was actually violence or not is another matter. Statistics are commonly manipulated to deliver an argument and it would be good to use them in context. For example, do you feel that race crime statistics could also include arrests of Black Lives Matter UK protesters?

Yes I've personally benefited since the referendum, but they are completely separate from eachother.

Original Poster

drasim

I'm not arguing either - I'm just offering you another opinion and … I'm not arguing either - I'm just offering you another opinion and personal experience, the same as you have.If you mean I am being pedantic in regards to statistics, it's very important in a discussion. For example, in previous work if I threw a piece of paper at you, that would be classed as an assault, therefore it becomes a statistic on violence. Whether it was actually violence or not is another matter. Statistics are commonly manipulated to deliver an argument and it would be good to use them in context. For example, do you feel that race crime statistics could also include arrests of Black Lives Matter UK protesters?Yes I've personally benefited since the referendum, but they are completely separate from eachother.

Sorry there were too many long words there, it kinda flew past.
    So the fact that you gained some benefits after voting to Leave has no impact on why you voted? So why did you vote to Leave out of interest?

makemakemaker

Sorry there were too many long words there, it kinda flew past. So the … Sorry there were too many long words there, it kinda flew past. So the fact that you gained some benefits after voting to Leave has no impact on why you voted? So why did you vote to Leave out of interest?

I've covered that many times in various threads on here before and after the event, had the heated debates, got the t-shirt. Feel free to join in on them.

Original Poster

drasim

I've covered that many times in various threads on here before and after … I've covered that many times in various threads on here before and after the event, had the heated debates, got the t-shirt. Feel free to join in on them.

Ok. Is the tshirt free?

makemakemaker

Ok. Is the tshirt free?

No it isn't, and the quality is abysmal. I'm trying to get through to customer services to give them a grilling and be extra rude.

benjammin316

And Tesco. 6 for £2

We haven't left the EU yet ffs, it's a process, they need to get article 50 activated, the sooner we get our economy sorted the better.

shauneco

We haven't left the EU yet ffs, it's a process, they need to get article … We haven't left the EU yet ffs, it's a process, they need to get article 50 activated, the sooner we get our economy sorted the better.

What about the sausages?

Round or square?

How can you say you "honestly do not believe that customers are being more derogatory because of races" when your complaint is that more people are treating "non-English" people negatively?

So, in summary... The op is anti Brexit and has found yet another angle to express their beliefs.

Brexit is happening, and because the economy hasn't collapsed Remainers are claiming society has. Utter rubbish.

I also work in an industry very much customer focused, and do you know what, people feel liberated and far more open with each other.

I see strangers prepared to get into open conversation with each other and discuss their fears, and about how they now have hope and optimism about the future.

For the first time in generations people have real pride in themselves, and are able to talk openly and freely to each other.

I see nothing of what the OP has written about, except another Remainer yet again blaming Brexit.
    Edited by: "coathanger" 10th Sep 2016

coathanger

For the first time in generations people have real pride in themselves, … For the first time in generations people have real pride in themselves, and are able to talk openly and freely to each other.

This is both surprising and somewhat depressing.

What environment have you or the people you know existed in that you haven't had 'real pride in themselves'?

What world do you live in where you've been unable to speak 'open and freely to each other'?

It's not a place I recognise. It's not an existence I've experienced, and I think that if a referendum result (that is pie in the sky at best) is a catalyst for what you perceive as change then the issues run far deeper than that.

I've always felt pride in myself and I'm by no means unique in that regard. Millions of hard-working, decent, self-motivated people have felt proud about what they, their families, their colleagues and their country has achieved for many years. That you haven't.....well I'm sorry, I truly am.

Remainers just can't let go, still with their heads buried deeply in the sand, and the reality of what being within the EU actually meant to the majority of the population. Their eyes were wide shut before, and their ears wide closed afterwards.

The saddest thing of all is the state of the Labour Party as an effective opposition, that is where the real problem now lays.

Vote Corbyn and you get a leader who is anti monarchist and who will put in place nuclear disarmament.

Vote Owen and you get a leader who has stated he will ignore the Referendum result and the wishes of the people.

Either way, you get a policy that the majority of the population do not want, trying to be forced upon it by default. Labour have now made themselves totally unelectable.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any tips on finding a cheap new kitchen plus bathroom with fitting?45
      2. Amazon prime subscribe & save410
      3. Looking for a mobile phone with a £300 budget11
      4. Decent Mp3 Player?44

See more discussions