Auction Snipers

Posted 14th Apr
Hi, is there a best one to use? Fed up of being outbid by others using these!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It's nothing to do with snipe tools

You're losing out because other people are willing to pay more than you
Bid only in the last 10 seconds
Unless you have TalkTalk Broadband, then bid at least 5 minutes before ending, it'll take around 4 minutes to refresh
27 Comments
You don't need them anymore with ebays maximum bid, that's basically how it works now, it will always outbid anyone who bids lower than you, it does this in increments until it reaches your max bid
Bid only in the last 10 seconds
Unless you have TalkTalk Broadband, then bid at least 5 minutes before ending, it'll take around 4 minutes to refresh
Ah.. Yes... If your being outbid your not bidding enough? Highest bid wins... Some bid £100 but can win item for £75. You understand that bit? I could bid £100 now for a pen but win it and pay £3. Always set the sniper to the highest you will pay but hope that you don't pay that price at the end...
deleted701517
I've used Gixen for years.
Snipers aren't as fast as ebays maximum bid so if someone has a higher bid than yours you still lose, I've won items and the time between my bid and the last bid before mine is less than a second.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 14th Apr
I use auction sniper and their server is very close to ebay in America so I set it to 4 seconds. I have had issues with the bid price not being correct as item raised in pounds not 50p ect but never has a problem if I setup correctly. Highest bidder wins so there is not time to react manually under 10 seconds
Edited by: "wayners" 14th Apr
4Real201614/04/2019 20:04

You don't need them anymore with ebays maximum bid, that's basically how …You don't need them anymore with ebays maximum bid, that's basically how it works now, it will always outbid anyone who bids lower than you, it does this in increments until it reaches your max bid

That's how it's always worked. You're missing the whole point of a snipe tool bidding in the last 10 seconds
chocci14/04/2019 20:32

That's how it's always worked. You're missing the whole point of a snipe …That's how it's always worked. You're missing the whole point of a snipe tool bidding in the last 10 seconds

I'm not missing the point of anything, I used a sniper for years, you might very well win a bid with a snipe tool if theres no ebay maximum bid above yours, because other bidders don't have the time to react to your bid, if there is an ebay maximum bid above your snipe bid you won't win because it's to fast.
It's nothing to do with snipe tools

You're losing out because other people are willing to pay more than you
Tip is not to bid at all until last 15 or 10 seconds. That way the other bidders don't know there's another bidder ready to snap up a last minute bargain.

Oh and just be thankful you haven't overpaid for anything or bid on stuff you really don't need.
4Real201614/04/2019 20:45

I'm not missing the point of anything, I used a sniper for years, you …I'm not missing the point of anything, I used a sniper for years, you might very well win a bid with a snipe tool if theres no ebay maximum bid above yours, because other bidders don't have the time to react to your bid, if there is an ebay maximum bid above your snipe bid you won't win because it's to fast.

The whole point of a snipe tool is to bid right near the end so that other bidders dont have time to increase their maximum bid. Putting in your maximum bid days beford the auction ends gives other buyers time to outbid you.
chocci15/04/2019 07:03

The whole point of a snipe tool is to bid right near the end so that other …The whole point of a snipe tool is to bid right near the end so that other bidders dont have time to increase their maximum bid. Putting in your maximum bid days beford the auction ends gives other buyers time to outbid you.

Did you even read my post you quoted? that's exactly what I said.

Who said anything about putting in a maximum bid days before? that would be idiotic.
MonkeysUncle14/04/2019 22:16

Tip is not to bid at all until last 15 or 10 seconds. That way the other …Tip is not to bid at all until last 15 or 10 seconds. That way the other bidders don't know there's another bidder ready to snap up a last minute bargain.Oh and just be thankful you haven't overpaid for anything or bid on stuff you really don't need.

...That's what snipe tools do on your behalf...

The whole point of a snipe tool is to bid right near the end so that other …The whole point of a snipe tool is to bid right near the end so that other bidders dont have time to increase their maximum bid. Putting in your maximum bid days beford the auction ends gives other buyers time to outbid you.

Haha, I did think about trying to explain what sniping tools are for but I feared the stupid would be too much hard work for me. I can see that you're trying but still failing to educate. Good luck if you continue to try to make them see sense but remember, you can't teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
MadeDixonsCry15/04/2019 10:18

...That's what snipe tools do on your behalf... Haha, I did think about …...That's what snipe tools do on your behalf... Haha, I did think about trying to explain what sniping tools are for but I feared the stupid would be too much hard work for me. I can see that you're trying but still failing to educate. Good luck if you continue to try to make them see sense but remember, you can't teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.

Who needs educating?

Your maximum snipe bid will still lose if there's a higher ebay maximum bid, even if you bid in the last second
Edited by: "4Real2016" 15th Apr
4Real201615/04/2019 10:27

Who needs educating?Your maximum snipe bid will still lose if there's a …Who needs educating?Your maximum snipe bid will still lose if there's a higher ebay maximum bid, even if you bid in the last second

I agree, but that's not what it's for.
MadeDixonsCry15/04/2019 10:52

I agree, but that's not what it's for.

So I guess you think it stops the price from becoming over inflated?
All this snipe talk makes me want to ensure I shill all my eBay items. Just to get them up to the point where know it reasonable.

The trick is not to watch items either, that's when people shill them up. If you know nobody is watching you're less likely to artificially bump the price.

What an arms race.

Not really.. If bid is £40 and you are the highest bidder with your maximum bid of £90 how will others know you typed in £90? They can wait until the last 5 seconds and bid £50 and still won't win. I won 2 identical car roof racks for £20 each once so that back fired as I forgot to cancel the second snipe when I won the first one. Lol...
Edited by: "wayners" 15th Apr
4Real201615/04/2019 11:10

So I guess you think it stops the price from becoming over inflated?

Exactly. You got there in the end
wayners9 h, 58 m ago

Not really.. If bid is £40 and you are the highest bidder with your …Not really.. If bid is £40 and you are the highest bidder with your maximum bid of £90 how will others know you typed in £90? They can wait until the last 5 seconds and bid £50 and still won't win. I won 2 identical car roof racks for £20 each once so that back fired as I forgot to cancel the second snipe when I won the first one. Lol...

That's not what I'm saying. If I bid £90 with 2 days left, then bidders have that time to outbid me. If the highest current bid is £40,then my snipe of £90 may get me the item for £41-£90.

If I don't win, then that's fair enough as that was the maximum I would pay.
chocci5 h, 29 m ago

Exactly. You got there in the end

Yeah, it just came to me, wasn't obvious at all
Edited by: "4Real2016" 16th Apr

4Real201615/04/2019 09:59

Did you even read my post you quoted? that's exactly what I said.Who said …Did you even read my post you quoted? that's exactly what I said.Who said anything about putting in a maximum bid days before? that would be idiotic.

What you two don't seem to get is that an eBay maximum bid will beat any sniping tool. Putting in a maximum bid days before is not idiotic (in fact if you really want the item it's idiotic not to).

If I put in a max. of £100 on an item that's currently 99p anything over a £100 will win it from me. If you then come along and see the item at 99p that's worth £120 and you put a snipe on that item for £100 then my original bid will still win despite your last minute (10 second) bid because first bid at that price wins and my bid (made days ago) already goes up to £100.

eBay auctions aren't won by the person who bids the winning amount last, auctions are won by the person who puts in the winning amount first. Thinking that, putting in the bid too early gives people a chance to outbid you, is rubbish. They can only win if they outbid you, they will only outbid you if they are willing to pay more for it than you. Sniping tools are only useful against someone who hasn't put in their maximum bid. Sure people can bid up the price in the days before but they can only win if they bid more for it than you think it's worth (which you have set with your maximum bid).
fablanta21/04/2019 04:49

What you two don't seem to get is that an eBay maximum bid will beat any …What you two don't seem to get is that an eBay maximum bid will beat any sniping tool. Putting in a maximum bid days before is not idiotic (in fact if you really want the item it's idiotic not to). If I put in a max. of £100 on an item that's currently 99p anything over a £100 will win it from me. If you then come along and see the item at 99p that's worth £120 and you put a snipe on that item for £100 then my original bid will still win despite your last minute (10 second) bid because first bid at that price wins and my bid (made days ago) already goes up to £100.eBay auctions aren't won by the person who bids the winning amount last, auctions are won by the person who puts in the winning amount first. Thinking that, putting in the bid too early gives people a chance to outbid you, is rubbish. They can only win if they outbid you, they will only outbid you if they are willing to pay more for it than you. Sniping tools are only useful against someone who hasn't put in their maximum bid. Sure people can bid up the price in the days before but they can only win if they bid more for it than you think it's worth (which you have set with your maximum bid).

Really? Thanks for that diatribe of stating the bleeding obvious enistein. Lmao
chocci1 h, 55 m ago

Really? Thanks for that diatribe of stating the bleeding obvious enistein. …Really? Thanks for that diatribe of stating the bleeding obvious enistein. Lmao

Ready to give up yet chocci? 😁
37505582-YY1pp.jpg
fablanta21/04/2019 04:49

What you two don't seem to get is that an eBay maximum bid will beat any …What you two don't seem to get is that an eBay maximum bid will beat any sniping tool. Putting in a maximum bid days before is not idiotic (in fact if you really want the item it's idiotic not to). If I put in a max. of £100 on an item that's currently 99p anything over a £100 will win it from me. If you then come along and see the item at 99p that's worth £120 and you put a snipe on that item for £100 then my original bid will still win despite your last minute (10 second) bid because first bid at that price wins and my bid (made days ago) already goes up to £100.eBay auctions aren't won by the person who bids the winning amount last, auctions are won by the person who puts in the winning amount first. Thinking that, putting in the bid too early gives people a chance to outbid you, is rubbish. They can only win if they outbid you, they will only outbid you if they are willing to pay more for it than you. Sniping tools are only useful against someone who hasn't put in their maximum bid. Sure people can bid up the price in the days before but they can only win if they bid more for it than you think it's worth (which you have set with your maximum bid).

"Putting in a maximum bid days before is not idiotic" - I wouldn't call it idiotic but bidding early in an auction is likely to drive up the final end price.

Bidding early gives other people time to think about what the maximum price they are prepared to bid and with additional time many people will raise their maximum price. Just look in the bid history of an item and you can see occasions of an earlier bidder returning a few days later with an increased price.

I personally mostly bid only in the last few seconds of an auction - i appreciate I will not win if someone is prepared to pay more than me but I prefer to stay "invisible" till the end rather than declare my interest early. Same with actual auctions - if you want to get something for the lowest possible price don't declare any interest until right at the end!
Van19737 h, 16 m ago

"Putting in a maximum bid days before is not idiotic" - I wouldn't call it …"Putting in a maximum bid days before is not idiotic" - I wouldn't call it idiotic but bidding early in an auction is likely to drive up the final end price. Bidding early gives other people time to think about what the maximum price they are prepared to bid and with additional time many people will raise their maximum price. Just look in the bid history of an item and you can see occasions of an earlier bidder returning a few days later with an increased price. I personally mostly bid only in the last few seconds of an auction - i appreciate I will not win if someone is prepared to pay more than me but I prefer to stay "invisible" till the end rather than declare my interest early. Same with actual auctions - if you want to get something for the lowest possible price don't declare any interest until right at the end!

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I thought the obvious point of sniping was made clear earlier but it seems not. (annoyed)(y)
fablanta14 h, 41 m ago

Maybe you should read all my posts first, see below.

4Real201615th Apr

Your maximum snipe bid will still lose if there's a higher ebay maximum …Your maximum snipe bid will still lose if there's a higher ebay maximum bid, even if you bid in the last second

Reactive bidding is a part of any auction, it doesn't matter if its a real person or a bot they are bidding against, people don't always stick to their maximum bid when they really want an item.

It's a argument nobody can really win anyway, it's impossible to prove or disprove what snipping actually does to final prices.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions