Audi a3 1. 9 tdi. flywheel issue

Posted 6th Jul 2020
I'm selling the wife's car but the flywheel ( dual mass) is slightly rattling.
it's a good car but could be difficult to sell with this issue has a flywheel is a very expensive job.
I. did replace the clutch last year and should have replaced the flywheel but didn't.
car isn't worth that much so not sure what to do.
any ideas, solid single flywheels are much cheaper. could that be a viable fix?
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Sell it as it is, I wouldn't waste your money on replacing the flywheel, reflect it in the price & make sure the buyer is advised verbally & written that the dual mass is on its way out. It may go on for a lot longer as it is.
I did a solid flywheel conversion on my dads mondeo when his dual mass flywheel started playing up. Long job but wasn’t overly complicated, most of this was getting access.

I didn’t drive the car regularly but it felt completely fine after the conversion and my dad didn’t ever mention it driving or feeling different so it’s definitely a valid option, especially for the cost saving and better reliability.

I would check on an Audi forum. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of entries on this but from what I remember I had to change a few extra pieces for it to take the solid wheel, so just double check whether you will need a conversion kit, or if it is a straight swap. When I did the mondeo I had kit off eBay with the flywheel, the clutch and a few other bits and pieces so can’t remember what I had to change to get it to fit, but if you look on a forum there’s likely guides on how to do it.
S50506/07/2020 18:21

I did a solid flywheel conversion on my dads mondeo when his dual mass …I did a solid flywheel conversion on my dads mondeo when his dual mass flywheel started playing up. Long job but wasn’t overly complicated, most of this was getting access. I didn’t drive the car regularly but it felt completely fine after the conversion and my dad didn’t ever mention it driving or feeling different so it’s definitely a valid option, especially for the cost saving and better reliability. I would check on an Audi forum. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of entries on this but from what I remember I had to change a few extra pieces for it to take the solid wheel, so just double check whether you will need a conversion kit, or if it is a straight swap. When I did the mondeo I had kit off eBay with the flywheel, the clutch and a few other bits and pieces so can’t remember what I had to change to get it to fit, but if you look on a forum there’s likely guides on how to do it.

Cheers I've seen solid conversion kits at sensible price. I'm definitely going to explore this option.
thanks for the info
My 2.2 mondeo has been rattling for a couple of years.
Some models are OK with solid conv. . . some less so.
Sell it, some people don't know the difference.. they can rattle on for years.
Edited by: "coolbob" 8th Jul
zzzz07/07/2020 17:32

My 2.2 mondeo has been rattling for a couple of years.Some models are OK …My 2.2 mondeo has been rattling for a couple of years.Some models are OK with solid conv. . . some less so.

Thats the one with the same engine as the jag x type. my x type made a rattle for 3 years. no issues other than rattle
adamderak08/07/2020 02:24

Thats the one with the same engine as the jag x type. my x type made a …Thats the one with the same engine as the jag x type. my x type made a rattle for 3 years. no issues other than rattle

Mine went on for a couple of year but then got a reconditioned flywheel and clutch fitted for £700 and lasted the life time of the car.
I changed the internal clutch slave cylinder only 18 months ago but left clutch alone.
It is the labour costs if you don't do the job yourself.
I don't think many people would recognise the noise on a diesel
Post a comment
@
    Text