Expired

Audi A3 1.9tdi turbo noise

Found 9th Jun 2014
Hi,

My 2005, 46k a3 is making a weird noise, which I assume is from the turbo.
Happens when you acceleration thro the gears, when you lift off to change up.
Beeeeeeooooooooow- its not loud, and no performance issues.

I've had the 1.9 and 2.0 versions of this engine, and never heard anything like it before.

Any suggestions??
Community Updates
AskAudiHeadphones
13 Comments
How often has the oil been changed and do you use good quality - fully synthetic - oil?

Assuming that you don't have a silly dump valve fitted.
Original Poster

No, car is well looked after, and is standard.
Noise is way less than boyracer dump valves....

mas99

How often has the oil been changed and do you use good quality - fully … How often has the oil been changed and do you use good quality - fully synthetic - oil?Assuming that you don't have a silly dump valve fitted.

I don't know if its "weird" it should have a little whistle. There is a recirc valve that will deal with excess turbo gases.

If its just started to get a lot louder and or you are experiencing a drop in power go check the intercooler and the hoses, one maybe split.
Banned
sounds like the turbo bearings are on the way out
If its the bearings on the turbo it will be a rougher sound, leave it long enough it should leave a clatter as well.
On a car like the A3 you should not hear the turbocvharger - period

turbo noise can be caused by all kinds of things ...

bad / dirty / carbonised oil as previously mentioned - who has done servicing? was oil really changed and for correct grade

unlikely to be bearings at 46k, unless oil or filter is very bad.

is a3 petrol or diesel - not so up on Audi but know BMW well

can you better describe the noise - whistle / whine / groan / drone / rattle / high pitch or low pitch ?

EliTom

ah - just spotted the clue in the title
- tdi - that makes noises more complex if it has variable vane - will find out who is the turbo manufacturere

Edited by: "elitom" 9th Jun 2014
Could be a leaking turbo hose.
ah could be Honeywell / Garrett !

EliTom
I have an a3 2.0 tdi and makes a rattle noise when I go slow and come off the accelerator any clues
Paul0120

I have an a3 2.0 tdi and makes a rattle noise when I go slow and come off … I have an a3 2.0 tdi and makes a rattle noise when I go slow and come off the accelerator any clues

Do you know what the engine code is? also is it around a 2004/2005 plate?
Paul0120

I have an a3 2.0 tdi and makes a rattle noise when I go slow and come off … I have an a3 2.0 tdi and makes a rattle noise when I go slow and come off the accelerator any clues

No idea, but I have an A3 2L TDI (9 months old, I have owned it for 3 months) and similarly, it clatters quite noticeably,in lower gears, at around 1000 - 1500 revs. Noisy or what?! I previously owned a Jetta, 2L TDI... quiet as anything.
NJS130

No idea, but I have an A3 2L TDI (9 months old, I have owned it for 3 … No idea, but I have an A3 2L TDI (9 months old, I have owned it for 3 months) and similarly, it clatters quite noticeably,in lower gears, at around 1000 - 1500 revs. Noisy or what?! I previously owned a Jetta, 2L TDI... quiet as anything.

I'm sorry to tell you your A3 probably had the living daylight ragged out of it during its 6-months as a hire car. It will have had whatever oil was about put in.

Oh dear...
Edited by: "bankerscum" 12th Oct 2015
NJS130

No idea, but I have an A3 2L TDI (9 months old, I have owned it for 3 … No idea, but I have an A3 2L TDI (9 months old, I have owned it for 3 months) and similarly, it clatters quite noticeably,in lower gears, at around 1000 - 1500 revs. Noisy or what?! I previously owned a Jetta, 2L TDI... quiet as anything.

​Oil pump chain sounds most likely, what year is it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants