Audi A6 : What's your advice?

Found 7th May
Hello guys

I am in the market for a new used car. I have few questions if you kind guys could advice.

I am considering Audi A6. Budget is upto 15k

What I have found is that they are only diesel engines, as Iive in London, I am aware of impending ULEZ regulations making it hard for diesel cars to be driven in London.

So I have found out that most Audi A6 s manufactured after 2014 are Euro 6 compliant.

I would like to ask following questions:

1. Is it a good car for family use and reliable. It's 2 litre TDI. engine that I would opt for, if I did.

2. Any known common issues that I should look out for.

3. Would you advise against buying a diesel?

the other alternative cars that I have considered are as follows:

BMW 5 series

Honda CRV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV ( electric hybrid)

Are there other cars that you would advise me to consider???

Can you please help, thanks.
Community Updates
AskAudi
25 Comments
There's much anti-diesel sentiment at the moment, however much of it is over the top so don't rule it out on principle. That said though, if you're only doing short journeys, driving in central London and the like, then you may have DPF troubles at some point. To get the best from a diesel they need a good run.

Also any reason why you've plumped for the Audi A6? Good car certainly, but your budget would go further with a Skoda Superb. It can be had with the same 2 litre diesel engine as the A6 (if that's what you want), and is also pretty well built. Servicing ought to be cheaper, plus Skoda also seem to come out above Audi in reliability surveys. £14k should get you a 16 plate.

Main downside though, driving around London you may look a lot like a taxi!
Just to make you aware there is only a temporary reprieve for euro 6 until the next euro 7 standard is created which will be far tougher on all vehicles (non electric). You may be ok for a year or two but the launch of these ultra low emission zones is an unknown at the moment in terms of what rules they will set out.
For 15k I would want something bit more plusher. New shape is imminent so could be wise to hold on for a bit as prices will tumble.
Have you considered mercedes CLS 250 CDI ,( 2.2 diesel engine). Or even Audi A7, although they only come in 3.0tdi engines.
Edited by: "adamderak" 7th May
If you go for the 2.0TDi make sure it is not one of those affected by the EA189 update. The update, once done, seems to cause all sorts of issues and makes the car less driveable.

A 1.4 Petrol Octavia or Superb would probably be a better bet.
adamderak13 h, 20 m ago

For 15k I would want something bit more plusher. New shape is imminent so …For 15k I would want something bit more plusher. New shape is imminent so could be wise to hold on for a bit as prices will tumble.Have you considered mercedes CLS 250 CDI ,( 2.2 diesel engine). Or even Audi A7, although they only come in 3.0tdi engines.

I second that, I live in London and went for a diesel but I know I will hardly ever drive in the ulez if I need to i got the mrs’s Hybrid or the tube.

I too had the same budget, I went for the merc as for that price I was getting a fully loaded car,
has every possible extra.
Edited by: "samosa" 7th May
Thanks guys...

Kepp it coming

Really useful

Interested to know your views on CRV and PHEV please, if possible
samosa13 m ago

I second that, I live in London and went for a diesel but I know I will …I second that, I live in London and went for a diesel but I know I will hardly ever drive in the ulez if I need to i got the mrs’s Hybrid or the tube. I too had the same budget, I went for the merc as for that price I was getting a fully loaded car,has every possible extra.

Can I ask which car did you go far? And where did you buy it from

My limited research tells me that there's only Cargiant around here...or would you suggest something else
paul123edwards12 h, 43 m ago

If you go for the 2.0TDi make sure it is not one of those affected by the …If you go for the 2.0TDi make sure it is not one of those affected by the EA189 update. The update, once done, seems to cause all sorts of issues and makes the car less driveable.A 1.4 Petrol Octavia or Superb would probably be a better bet.

How do you find this out??

Any tips ??
Bump
rambobambo16 h, 10 m ago

Can I ask which car did you go far? And where did you buy it fromMy …Can I ask which car did you go far? And where did you buy it fromMy limited research tells me that there's only Cargiant around here...or would you suggest something else

My first choice was an Audi due to new arrival to the family, I settled for the C-class C250 on advice from family members who know a thing or two about cars, has all the optional extra's (amazed at how many) and i'm still learning new tricks/functions each day.Purchased from up north advertised in Autotrader. (friend works for British Airways so got cheap ticket to fly up inspect and buy)
Edited by: "samosa" 8th May
Thanks for coming back, I have been looking at Merc after your advice.

Concerned that most E class are registered as Taxis around London , see them all the time in Kew.

And C class might be too small.

What's your experience.

Also can you advise which model type you went for?? Did you purchase from trader or privately?
rambobambo20 h, 42 m ago

How do you find this out??Any tips ??

Honest John has a lot about this.
paul123edwards1 h, 45 m ago

Honest John has a lot about this.

Found out from Audi website itself, thanks for the help.
My advice would be don’t be like 99% Of Audi drivers and over take me in a 30mph and get out of Lane 3 - When 1 and 2 are empty
What is your annual mileage and type of usage? You do not appear to have said this yet and it does have an effect on what engine would be best for you.
rambobambo8th May

Thanks for coming back, I have been looking at Merc after your …Thanks for coming back, I have been looking at Merc after your advice.Concerned that most E class are registered as Taxis around London , see them all the time in Kew.And C class might be too small.What's your experience.Also can you advise which model type you went for?? Did you purchase from trader or privately?

I went for the c-class, picked it up with low mileage (approx 45k) I went for the amg sport plus as I really liked the seats and the red stitching.

so far I love it and thought I would have buyers remorse afterward but don’t regret it, mrs is always wanting to drive it and prefers it over hers car.

im getting approx 35mpg (according to onboard computer) from daily commute in West London (Ealing)
Edited by: "samosa" 10th May
paul123edwards9th May

What is your annual mileage and type of usage? You do not appear to have …What is your annual mileage and type of usage? You do not appear to have said this yet and it does have an effect on what engine would be best for you.

Annual mileage won't top 10k, really split between petrol and diesel.

Don't really need diesel but can see any large premium family saloons in petrol

Help...
rambobambo11th May

Annual mileage won't top 10k, really split between petrol and diesel.Don't …Annual mileage won't top 10k, really split between petrol and diesel.Don't really need diesel but can see any large premium family saloons in petrolHelp...

What type of driving, many short local journeys or a few long journeys? You may struggle to find a petrol but if you are doing lots of short journeys in the city you are going to be asking for trouble with a diesel.
paul123edwards1 h, 3 m ago

What type of driving, many short local journeys or a few long journeys? …What type of driving, many short local journeys or a few long journeys? You may struggle to find a petrol but if you are doing lots of short journeys in the city you are going to be asking for trouble with a diesel.

Tanks for the time, it's mainly oval journeys.
Once every month or 6 weeks I would be on the motorway thrashing upto 300 miles in a day, back and from Leeds to Indonesia.

As considering Outlander PHEV but reviews seem pretty bad...
How about a Mazda 6. Seem to be quite a few petrol ones out there.

No turbo or DPF to go wrong either.
Hmm didn't consider Mazda will have a look, Thanks for the concern.
Didn't they say ULEZ will be extended to the whole of London by 2022?
how much space do you need? Will there be rear seat passengers? The c class and the bmw really dont have a lot of room in the back. If you really need space then nothing beats a skoda superb - they are huge inside.
Thanks guys, went and bought a 64 plate Audi A6 few weeks ago, it's diesel as well...
Get a hybrid
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants