Audio Switch (One Input Multiple Switched Output)

Edited by:"MitchellT"Found 10th Jan
Hi,

I have two headsets, one for gaming and one for music (better quality for music).

I'm not liking the fact that I have to continually unplug and re-plug every time I want to switch headsets and I think over time this would knacker my dedicated sound-card in my PC.

I'm having a hard time finding an audio switch that will allow me to connect it to my soundcard via 3.5mm and then has two 3.5mm outputs (or more) which I can switch between depending on whether I am gaming or listening to music.

A work friend suggested a splitter but than doesn't solve the issue as sound will play through both and I'll still have to plug/unplug.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments
Either buy a small extension lead to move the wear along or buy a simple switch like
ebay.co.uk/itm…961

Plenty on ebay but it's just finding a less ugly one.

Higher quality ones out there with amplifiers built in but depends on if you're worried it might affect the sound quality.

Probably easier to buy the parts and install them into your PC desk and it's just a manual switch circuit with no electronics.
Why not just use your better quality headset for both?
Original Poster
EndlessWaves1 h, 31 m ago

Why not just use your better quality headset for both?

It doesn't have a mic and the gaming headset is more comfortable to game with longer. I prefer the sound through that headset when gaming as well i.e. footsteps when playing first person shooters, wasn't at all pleased when I tried the other headset which I use for music.

I'm sure I need to sit down and play around with the soundcard's EQ but I'm no expert
Edited by: "MitchellT" 11th Jan
Original Poster
kester767 h, 7 m ago

What I would …What I would buyhttps://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-MicroAMP-HA400-Headphone-Amplifier/6M0?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Behringer&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=1+-+Product+Level+-+Behringer&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=8568d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=111957472159&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8--HjZnP2AIVjrztCh02AQR3EAQYCSABEgJ-KvD_BwE

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

Is it possible that having both an amplifier on the sound card and an external one could distort the sound or effect its quality?
MitchellT2 h, 19 m ago

Hi,Thank you for your replies.Is it possible that having both an amplifier …Hi,Thank you for your replies.Is it possible that having both an amplifier on the sound card and an external one could distort the sound or effect its quality?

I don't know, found it on Amazon and there's some good reviews and bad ones. Amazon Link
Looking again it seems like the TI 4850 OP AMP isn't a bad one but no mention of additional filters besides the ones built in but it would depend on the circuit.
ti.com/lit…pdf

Looks more to be used by musicians in live performances where you need multiple headphone outputs.

Looking at the specs it's rated for headphones with an impedance of approx 80ohms which might be too low for you and barely function with 600ohms headphones. If you own a card like the soundblaster Zx then I would miss this.

head-fi.org/thr…08/ <= a few different review but I assume the differences are from how high the impedance of the headphones is.

Another option is the DIY one with a small box, 3x3.5mm sockets and a switch.

33040364-mFf7V.jpg
instructables.com/id/…iy/
Original Poster
kester761 h, 20 m ago

I don't know, found it on Amazon and there's some good reviews and bad …I don't know, found it on Amazon and there's some good reviews and bad ones. Amazon LinkLooking again it seems like the TI 4850 OP AMP isn't a bad one but no mention of additional filters besides the ones built in but it would depend on the circuit.http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/rc4580.pdfLooks more to be used by musicians in live performances where you need multiple headphone outputs.Looking at the specs it's rated for headphones with an impedance of approx 80ohms which might be too low for you and barely function with 600ohms headphones. If you own a card like the soundblaster Zx then I would miss this.https://www.head-fi.org/threads/behringer-ha400-worth-50.437108/ <= a few different review but I assume the differences are from how high the impedance of the headphones is.Another option is the DIY one with a small box, 3x3.5mm sockets and a switch.[Image] http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Construct-a-35mm-Switch-diy/

I am using that sound card, in the short time i guess i will use a short extension cable then in the future as you suggested, create one with my dads help.
MitchellT47 m ago

I am using that sound card, in the short time i guess i will use a short …I am using that sound card, in the short time i guess i will use a short extension cable then in the future as you suggested, create one with my dads help.

I would have a look at the round wooden trinket boxes on ebay for a box to mount the circuit in. You can buy those braided audio cables that finish off the look. Would look better with a latching 3PDT push button hot glued inside instead of the nasty looking toggles.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants