Auschwitz trip

Posted 2nd Jan
Hi,

Once place i have always wanted to go but cannot seem to buy a package with flights and hotel for here. Looking around the end of June time if anyone can recommend or advise best way to travel and stay

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Lots of info on trip advisor
And see if they have visits to auschwitz, you can combine salt mine visit + the camp... I’ve never been but hubby went and said it’s pretty harrowing.
jimmy_the_fridge03/01/2020 00:08

Comment deleted

I bet it does.. take it you’ve been... always wanted to go, think I will wait until kids are older and take them with me. Things like this cannot be forgotten, though history has already proven me wrong, sadly
We stayed in Krakow in Hotel Batory Krakow. The hotel sorted the trips, picked up from the Hotel, so that wasn't a problem. we booked our own flights and we were away. The Hotel seemed much better value and quality than a lot in the area. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the epi-centre, where the Church is, but we enjoyed that and meant we saw a bit more.

The salt mines were good and Auschwitz and the other camps was like stepping into a movie set - unreal! Definitely worth paying to go in a group with a guide.
Edited by: "Wolfylee" 3rd Jan
Wolfylee03/01/2020 00:13

We stayed in Krakow in Hotel Batory Krakow. The hotel sorted the trips, …We stayed in Krakow in Hotel Batory Krakow. The hotel sorted the trips, picked up from the Hotel, so that wasn't a problem. we booked our own flights and we were away. The Hotel seemed much better value and quality than a lot in the area. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the epi-centre, where the Church is, but we enjoyed that and meant we saw a bit more.The salt mines were good and Auschwitz and the other camps was like stepping into a movie set - unreal! Definitely worth paying to go in a group with a guide.

Hi,

How much did flights, hotel cost? Looking at 2 nights in June

Thanks
It was 15 years ago (doesn't seem it!) but it was 75 euros per room per night then. I think that might be expensive now because they weren't as geared up as they seem to be now. You'll find better hotels and flights now I reckon for less than 200, based on two sharing, flights included.

If you only want to go for two nights be aware the visiting Auschwitz is a no-kidding full day.
Wolfylee03/01/2020 00:41

It was 15 years ago (doesn't seem it!) but it was 75 euros per room per …It was 15 years ago (doesn't seem it!) but it was 75 euros per room per night then. I think that might be expensive now because they weren't as geared up as they seem to be now. You'll find better hotels and flights now I reckon for less than 200, based on two sharing, flights included.If you only want to go for two nights be aware the visiting Auschwitz is a no-kidding full day.

Appreciate that, i want to book flights and hotel. Hotel that does the tour too

Cheers
I went in April and did it all seperate. We went for 4 days and a central hotel including flights cost us £125 each. The hotel is called apartmenty bonerowska 5 if you're interested. Really nice and 2 min walk to centre. Auschwitz we just paid for it online before we went. Aushwitz is an all day tour so make sure you plan for that. I would recommend doing the salt mine on a different day as its too much for 1 day as you can buy a package which does both.
@deeky is the world expert on krakow.
If you do a bit of research it is easy to do by Auschwitz and Birkenau public transport from Krakow as are the salt mines. It's 5 years since we went but don't think things will have changed. There was a free shuttle bus from Auschwitz to Birkenau . Some good information on the official website auschwitz.org/en/
LillyM03/01/2020 00:06

And see if they have visits to auschwitz, you can combine salt mine visit …And see if they have visits to auschwitz, you can combine salt mine visit + the camp... I’ve never been but hubby went and said it’s pretty harrowing.

Definitely do not do this on the same day.

You will want half a day to appreciate the salt mine and almost a full day for auschwitz
adamwilko00703/01/2020 09:06

Definitely do not do this on the same day.You will want half a day to …Definitely do not do this on the same day.You will want half a day to appreciate the salt mine and almost a full day for auschwitz

Oh I didn’t mean to do it on the same day but in the same trip as they are not too far from each other, sorry if that didn’t come across clearly on my previous post 😁
Polish children simulate being gassed to death at Auschwitz-themed dance recital...

timesofisrael.com/pol…al/
Edited by: "seb" 3rd Jan
When I went last year there was Jews taking selfies smiling in front of the demolished gas Chambers. I guess it was there way of saying f you?
Edited by: "adamwilko007" 3rd Jan
We went a few years ago and stayed in Krakow. Caught the public bus to Auschwitz which showed an interesting journey of the local area. No idea how much it was but very cheap. Signed up to join an organised tour on the day when we arrived.
kt2103/01/2020 10:17

We went a few years ago and stayed in Krakow. Caught the public bus to …We went a few years ago and stayed in Krakow. Caught the public bus to Auschwitz which showed an interesting journey of the local area. No idea how much it was but very cheap. Signed up to join an organised tour on the day when we arrived.

We did the same, beware though the bus is a couple of hours if I remember rightly and was absolutely crammed - way over standing capacity and was the worst journey I’ve ever had! Was cheap though around £2 If I remember rightly. We didn’t do the organised tour there and regretted it, missed a few key areas so I’d definitely recommend that. Also if you go when it’s going to be sunny beware as there is hardly any shade and it’s blisteringly hot and in winter it’s absolutely freezing. Be prepared though it’s harrowing the scale of the camp and really made my skin crawl
Edited by: "iang007" 3rd Jan
I did it twice last year, 7 weeks apart. The first time I went, I did not know what to expect and as such emotionally 'shut down' as i was completely overwhelmed. There are a couple of exhibits that really hit home the abhorrent acts that happened. I was really taken aback at how small Auschwitz was The second time whilst knowing what I was going to face, I found it much more informative. The first time I did not have a guided tour, the second time I did. Both have their benefits.
Both times I flew from Bristol to Krakow and stayed in the old town. We took the bus from the station to Auschwitz.

Cost for 4 days was as follows: -

Flights return were £110 each.
Accommodation was £100 total (apartment as it was much cheaper).
Bus fare was 6zl each for a single.
Entry is free without a guided tour but must be booked in advance.
With a guided tour the price was 24zl each.

Birkenau was far more harrowing, the desolate exposed area, and both times I went it was windy, cold and raining. This is where the tour really let itself down. They only take you to about 10% of the area and so much would of been missed if I hadnt gone there previously. To complete Birkenau and do it justice you will walk over 5 miles and it will take most of the day.

Be prepared though, for people taking photos and selfies in the gas chamber and the graffiti in some of the buildings at Birkenau really show that people have not learnt any lessons.

Well worth going, but really hit me hard a couple of days after each visit, but if it has taught me just a little about tolerance to other peoples beliefs, then it was worth the experience.
This is a trip that we're also intending to do this year, have been wanting to go for a long time.
On another note, what is the food like in Krakow? Is it reasonably priced?
Edited by: "Money_Saving_Mum" 3rd Jan
Money_Saving_Mum03/01/2020 20:45

This is a trip that we're also intending to do this year, have been …This is a trip that we're also intending to do this year, have been wanting to go for a long time. On another note, what is the food like in Krakow? Is it reasonably priced?

Really cheap. You will pay a premium on the square but still under £10 for a main meal. Some authentic polish restaurants a meal for 2 and a couple of beers each was less than £15. Service is fantastic and they are really friendly if you show them manners. Both times I went Monday to Friday, but the other problem with Krakow is British stag dos and you get hassled a lot to go into lap dancing clubs at the tail end of the week.
Just book your trip to Krakow. Once you’re there, there are plenty of tourist operator shops dotted around where you can just walk in and book an Auschwitz trip for the next day, this is what I did.
I went in January a few years ago and the Auschwitz trip was worth it, although it was deep snow which really added to the eerie feel of it.
Thanks for replying people, booking today for back end of April. Gonna book the tour when we are in Krakow.
kickinkez04/01/2020 11:56

Thanks for replying people, booking today for back end of April. Gonna …Thanks for replying people, booking today for back end of April. Gonna book the tour when we are in Krakow.

One of them places that everyone should visit... There is also a salt mine not too far outside Krakow...
catch2204/01/2020 12:05

One of them places that everyone should visit... There is also a salt mine …One of them places that everyone should visit... There is also a salt mine not too far outside Krakow...

Definitely all booked for 4 of us. £177 pp
Flights, hotel and transfers cheaper than i thought it would be, result!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions