Australia - Any must do's? Don't? recommendations?

31 replies
Found 28th Sep 2010
Well as many people know I am going to Australia on a working visa for a year at the end of October, stopping in Singapore on the way. Many people have given me suggestions about what to do in Singapore.

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on Oz? Anything or anywhere I should visit that may not be in guide books? Places i can't miss?

All suggestions welcome as I will be out there and traveling for a year

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

Original Poster

thanks for those DLM but I was after people's visit idea's for the whole place!

Banned

asayer

thanks for those DLM but I was after people's visit idea's for the whole … thanks for those DLM but I was after people's visit idea's for the whole place!

Some tips will help you on your way.

Don't miss me too much

where bouts you going? im going out for 3 weeks at end of oct then back for a year working around march time.

How hard was it to get a work visa? What sort of work will you be doing?

Original Poster

mattbisme

where bouts you going? im going out for 3 weeks at end of oct then back … where bouts you going? im going out for 3 weeks at end of oct then back for a year working around march time.

I am starting in Brisbane, then not sure from there... what about you?
CReilly

How hard was it to get a work visa? What sort of work will you be doing?

Anything i can get!! Reception, admin, school work ect got quite a lot of experience in different areas

Starting in sydney, then going up to byron bay and brisbane for my holiday, for work gonna try do 3 month stints in Sydney, Perth, Darwin then try get sponsorship to stay somewhere perm.

Original Poster

mattbisme

Starting in sydney, then going up to byron bay and brisbane for my … Starting in sydney, then going up to byron bay and brisbane for my holiday, for work gonna try do 3 month stints in Sydney, Perth, Darwin then try get sponsorship to stay somewhere perm.

Sounds like a good plan. I have not been before, got myself some work in a hostel when i arrive then going to take it from there. Just wanted some idea's of places to go and visit so I didnt miss anything!

Banned

What sort of tips are you after?

If you are starting in Brisbane.... places I'd recommend in journey sequence...

Coloundra
Noosa Heads
Frazer Island
Whitsunday Islands
Townsville
Cairnes (for reef, green Island, rain forest)
Then back through train / coach via Townsville and Mt Isa to Alice Springs
Ayers Rock
Adelaide
Melbourne (also get down the peninsula and pop into my mates shop for a pie at Mount Martha)
Sydney - Manly, Coogee, Harbour tour, Watsons Bay

Original Poster

Just key places not to miss really Guv. Going to be out there for a year, so will be doing a couple of months in each key place I would think. Your Journey sequence looks very interesting!! I will be looking into those now.

Banned

Take me, take me!

Original Poster

DLM

Take me, take me!

I think my suitcase/backpack is already full, but if room free's up i will let you know!

Banned

asayer

Just key places not to miss really Guv. Going to be out there for a year, … Just key places not to miss really Guv. Going to be out there for a year, so will be doing a couple of months in each key place I would think. Your Journey sequence looks very interesting!! I will be looking into those now.

OK... In which case, I'd recommend picking a couple of key places to stay a while, then travel a bit. Apart from the cities, you wouldn't want to stay in those places for masses of time.

Of the "must do"...... obviously the reef must be up there, but if I had to chose one place on that list, it would be Shute Harbour/ Arlie beach for the Whitsundays. magic moments I'll never forget... large sailing boat.. dolphins on the bow and dropped off Robinson Crusoe style on my own unihabited island. Great for Stalker avoidance.. it confuses the hell out of them!

Do not get stuck in Mt Isa like I did for 4 days after a flash flood - which I saw with my own eyes! Walked over the main bridge.. went into the travel place, came back out and the whole place was under water and all roads closed. Not a nice place to be trapped for 4 days!

Didnt get to Ayers rock... its 500km (Oz is a big place) from Alice... though that was interesting to see the drunken locals falling over everywhere!

I have spent a year there 12 years ago on a WHV

My brother is going to Brisbane same time as you but stopping in thailand for a week to see me as i live here - got him a great deal on his flights - £71 from london to malaysia and then cheap flights up to see me over in thailand.

fraser island was my favourite place.

- my brother has got a pretty large criminal record which we fully disclosed when applying for him (sent off for police check - he is a good boy now, but has a colourful past - so pretty easy to get these visas in my opinion).

I also used to be able to get free phone calls from phone boxes in Aus but this has changed now - what I would say, is use VOIP gain - you can get 90 days of free calls for 10 euros and then you still have 10 euros left at the end.

i have got a few other money saving tips to tell you, but I think I would get banned if i told you them, so if you want to know send me a pm.

Original Poster

Thanks all, the Shute Harbour/ Arlie beach for the Whitsunday wouldn't have been something i would have thought about but will look into it now.

Have Pm'd you officegimp

mattbisme

Starting in sydney, then going up to byron bay and brisbane for my holiday

I'm doing pretty much the same thing as this, going for 3 weeks on the 2nd November. Flying to Sydney driving up the east coast and flying back from Brisbane. hoping to get the following route in....

Sydney > Blue Mountains > Terrigal > Port Stephens > Port Macquarie > South West Rocks > Coffs Harbour > Byron Bay > Gold Coast > Brisbane > Australia Zoo > Fraser Island.

Quite a lot to fit in in 3 weeks but I think its doable as each place isn't to far apart.
Edited by: "airey" 28th Sep 2010

airey

I'm doing pretty much the same thing as this, going for 3 weeks on the … I'm doing pretty much the same thing as this, going for 3 weeks on the 2nd November. Flying to Sydney driving up the east coast and flying back from Brisbane. hoping to get the following route in....Sydney > Blue Mountains > Terrigal > Port Stephens > Port Macquarie > South West Rocks > Coffs Harbour > Byron Bay > Gold Coast > Brisbane > Australia Zoo > Fraser Island.Quite a lot to fit in in 3 weeks but I think its doable as each place isn't to far apart.

ha i might pass you, driving from sydney to blue mountains on nov 1st, then hunter valley 2nd, Port Macquarie 3rd, south west rocks 4th, byron bay 5th - 6th, brisbane/australia zoo 7th - 8th, byron bay 9th-13th

Sloth/Mod

Do the Sydney Bridge climb/walk...........the views once you are up there are stunning (provided you don't mind heights as it's a long way up)

Also if you start heading out to the outback then do a balloon trip..........it's amazing.

did that last year when i was there at sunset, was def worth doing, also when in Manly do a shark dive at ocean world.

mattbisme

ha i might pass you, driving from sydney to blue mountains on nov 1st, … ha i might pass you, driving from sydney to blue mountains on nov 1st, then hunter valley 2nd, Port Macquarie 3rd, south west rocks 4th, byron bay 5th - 6th, brisbane/australia zoo 7th - 8th, byron bay 9th-13th

Ha cool, Might be in Byron Bay around that time but think you'll be quite far ahead the rest of the time.

I was thinking about doing the Bridge Climb but £120 seems quite expensive when I'm on quite a tight budget! You can't take cameras either from what I've read. Think I'll decide when I get there.

Sloth/Mod

You used to be able to take cameras.......don't know if they changed it but cameras and video cameras were allowed.

If you can stretch to it then do it as it's amazing.:)

no cameras or any thing personal is not aloud up, you get 2 photo ops while up there and you can then buy the pics when your finished. think it was $25 a pic.

Sloth/Mod

Gutted that it's changed. I've got some great video footage somewhere on an old Hi-8 tape.

even the hanky thing they give you is attached to you via a bungee cord.

do the manly - sydney ferry and also taronga zoo and visit the bats in the botanical gardens.

you could also go to visit home and away in palm beach/avalon just north of sydney.

could tell you places to go if you were going south as did the coastal drive from Sydney to Melbourne last year.

I'm going to do the sydney - manly ferry, thanks for the other pointers ill look into it.

anyone bothering with travel insurance for Oz? I did not take any - the main reason being Medicare - Australia free medical cover medicareaustralia.gov.au/pub…jsp

Although it was 12 years ago before people had iphones or light weight laptops/netbooks - my brother hates computers, so I am thinking of not getting any insurance for him.

Sloth/Mod

officegimp

anyone bothering with travel insurance for Oz? I did not take any - the … anyone bothering with travel insurance for Oz? I did not take any - the main reason being Medicare - Australia free medical cover http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp#N10092Although it was 12 years ago before people had iphones or light weight laptops/netbooks - my brother hates computers, so I am thinking of not getting any insurance for him.

The main thing with insurance though is if you are very ill or die they will cover the return costs home....it's very expensive to fly home with medical care or as a corpse. lol

Syzable

The main thing with insurance though is if you are very ill or die they … The main thing with insurance though is if you are very ill or die they will cover the return costs home....it's very expensive to fly home with medical care or as a corpse. lol

Yeah, I will mention to my mum about if he dies it will cost a lot to ship the body back! ha ha, she will love that

Pretty sure the standard of Australian hospitals is going to be the same as ours so he would not have to fly home to get treatment if he was very ill.

Sloth/Mod

officegimp

Yeah, I will mention to my mum about if he dies it will cost a lot to … Yeah, I will mention to my mum about if he dies it will cost a lot to ship the body back! ha ha, she will love thatPretty sure the standard of Australian hospitals is going to be the same as ours so he would not have to fly home to get treatment if he was very ill.

It's not that he'd need to it's that he'd probably want to after so long............unless the nurses all looked like they should be in Neighbours and he had a sea view. lol

always check the toilet before you pull your trousers down

otherwise, you may get a nasty surprise

its common to find pythens and creepy crawlies in the toilet pan- guess its the coolest place for them

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition52480
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!33
    3. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)11
    4. Win a Blink home security and monitoring system, worth £269.99 @ Netmums11

See more discussions