Autoglym Polar Blast Advice

Posted 18th Jun
Some advice would be appreciated. I usually just take my car to the car wash, but I thought I'd try and save some money so I got myself a foam cannon from Chemical Guys (the one that connects to a regular hose) and bought the Autoglym Polar Blast car shampoo.

Now I used it twice. First time I rinsed the car first before applying, then I read somewhere that it's best not to do that as the foam does not grip to the dirt as well. So second time I applied the foam stright to the dirty car.

Both times the result was pretty bad. I mean I know it's a pre wash, but I've seen YouTube videos where people have used it and the cars looked pretty clean.

I am not a car detailer or expert in any way. I just want a generally clean car.
Can someone tell me what I may be doing wrong here?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Like you say Polar blast is a pre-wash, it won’t shift much. Polar wash is the one to get which once sprayed on and agitated with a wash mit it will be spotless. I use all 3 polar products and I love them
My routine - rinse, polar blast, rinse, polar wash, agitate, rinse, polar seal & finally dry
Toby_12618/06/2020 22:45

Like you say Polar blast is a pre-wash, it won’t shift much. Polar wash is …Like you say Polar blast is a pre-wash, it won’t shift much. Polar wash is the one to get which once sprayed on and agitated with a wash mit it will be spotless. I use all 3 polar products and I love them

Can I agitate the Polar Blast and get a half decent result?
mas12318/06/2020 22:47

Never tired it myself tbh, you will need some sort of agitation to shift it
I’m no expert myself, but generally I think when you’re trying to a pre-wash on a heavily dirty car you won’t see the results as you do on YouTube videos.

However on a car that’s not VERY dirty.. just the pre-wash stage can have the car looking amazing.

I’ve started washing the cars at home for about 9 months now and I was in the same boat as you as I was using Bilt Hamber auto foam (which is supposed to be one of the best snow foams) and I wasn’t really seeing amazing results. I realised my problem was I was leaving a solid 1.5 months+ in between washes so they would get very dirty. I now wash them every 3 weeks and I’m seeing much better results and it’s a lot less effort to clean them.

But if your car is quite dirty you could try to use an APC to break down some of the dirt and grime before you pre-wash (so basically a pre-pre-wash).

Also a tip I’ve found that worked wonders for me is use warm water in your buckets!!! Makes the contact wash so much easier (and keeps your hands from freezing in winter!)

Again, I’m no detailer by any means so everything I’ve just said could be a load of
Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong!
As you said, the pre washes aren't meant to clean the car, they just take the surface dirt off and give you a little help to prevent more scratches.
Some dirt is thick, others thin, some comes off with a pressure washer, others dont! Also depends how long it's been on the vehicle.
If a cars been regularly been wax it should help the dirt come off as it won't bond to the paint as much... if it's been poorly maintained itll be harder to remove.
Toby_12618/06/2020 22:47

My routine - rinse, polar blast, rinse, polar wash, agitate, rinse, polar …My routine - rinse, polar blast, rinse, polar wash, agitate, rinse, polar seal & finally dry

How have your results been with polar wash? It’s essentially a snow foam shampoo right?

Was thinking of using that stuff in winter and just having a rinse bucket (rather than a rinse AND wash bucket)

Not sure if that would work(confused)
Ray36118/06/2020 22:52

How have your results been with polar wash? It’s essentially a snow foam s …How have your results been with polar wash? It’s essentially a snow foam shampoo right?Was thinking of using that stuff in winter and just having a rinse bucket (rather than a rinse AND wash bucket)Not sure if that would work(confused)

I’ve been really happy with them. It is a foaming shampoo. It does give a fairly thick layer of foam but not quite as extreme as the polar blast. I normally coat the car with the Polar Wash give it a couple of mins to settle and rub down each panel with the mit (rinsing mit inbetween). By that point the car is looking pretty spotless
Thanks for the replies. Since I've already bought the stuff. I'm going to try: Rinse -> Polar Blast -> Agitate -> Rinse. Hopefully that should give me a clean car, as atm it's really not doing much!
mas12318/06/2020 23:19

Thanks for the replies. Since I've already bought the stuff. I'm going to …Thanks for the replies. Since I've already bought the stuff. I'm going to try: Rinse -> Polar Blast -> Agitate -> Rinse. Hopefully that should give me a clean car, as atm it's really not doing much!

I’d also recommend some sort of wax/protection. Helps a bunch for future washes and makes the car look shinyyy

41142146-1CWro.jpg

These are the results I got using AG Polar seal on my parents cars.. surprisingly good stuff!
mas12318/06/2020 22:47

Yes but with a powerful pressure washer
Just had a thought. I’ve got some Turtle Wax shampoo in the garage. Can I use that in the foam cannon?
mas12318/06/2020 23:37

Just had a thought. I’ve got some Turtle Wax shampoo in the garage. Can I u …Just had a thought. I’ve got some Turtle Wax shampoo in the garage. Can I use that in the foam cannon?

If you do try that definitely post the results.. I’d be lying if I said I’ve never thought of that before😬
Ray36119/06/2020 00:03

If you do try that definitely post the results.. I’d be lying if I said I …If you do try that definitely post the results.. I’d be lying if I said I’ve never thought of that before😬

Checked out some videos on YouTube of people that have done it. Its surprisingly foamy. Agitate with wash mitt and rinse. Leaves a nice finish. I think I’ll try it.
Post a comment
@
    Text