Automatic or Quartz Watch Movement?

Posted 27th Jun
I’m currently looking to buy a decent watch. I’ve not purchased a watch over £100 before (excluding Apple Watch) so I’m a bit inexperienced.

I like the look of tissots, in particularly the Tissot T-Sport Seastar 1000.

However, there are two version: quartz for £450 or automatic for £620. What are the true benefits of an automatic watch? Will it require more maintenance in the future? Is it worth the extra £170?

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts. Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
I have a quartz Tissot and an invictus automatic. My Tissot is a lovely watch but you do have to get the battery replaced, though it'll be years between changes. If you have more than one watch quartz should keep time well when not worn. Automatic is nice as there isn't a battery to worry about and however if you don't wear it for a day or two it'll stop and you'll have to set the time again.

As for maintenance I'm not too sure. I'd imagine quartz would be easier to service and repair in the future.

There's a good for and against here
linjer.co/blo…ose
Edited by: "RadiantDuck" 27th Jun
Worth reading the comments at the end of the review

Nice looking watch with blue dial.

Quartz v movement, just my opinion. There's no soul in a quartz watch, but don't expect the accuracy from a movement watch that you get from a quartz.
Thanks for your replies. Do you think a dive watch is suitable for formal wear? I know it’s generally frowned upon, wearing it with a suit but I would want a watch that’s I can wear for different occasions. I wear smart casual to work but a suit occasionally for meetings.
vivian26527/06/2020 08:28

Thanks for your replies. Do you think a dive watch is suitable for formal …Thanks for your replies. Do you think a dive watch is suitable for formal wear? I know it’s generally frowned upon, wearing it with a suit but I would want a watch that’s I can wear for different occasions. I wear smart casual to work but a suit occasionally for meetings.

Get the watch that's pleasing to you and don't worry about what's frowned upon. I just can't imagine a scenario where someone is going to say to you nice watch but what the heck are you doing wearing it in that attire

I would also suggest looking at Orient watches. Others here will be more able to help you on which models to look at. Good value movement watches and can be found for less than the Tissot
Edited by: "OllieSt" 27th Jun
Thanks for the advice!

At the moment, I quite like these:

41221589-C0Xta.jpg
41221589-L6Jk4.jpg

Not sure whether to go for something a bit bigger like a dive watch or a bit simpler.
It's all a matter of taste, I prefer the Seastar. One thing I can add from experience is that 2nd watch will be more difficult to just glance to see the time, admittedly my experience is with a white face and silver hands, but the more complex a watch face is the more difficult it is to just glance

What about something like this (although you need to make sure glass is sapphire instead of mineral) - this one is mineral and it will scratch too easily

This one has sapphire glass

I make mention of Orient because they are good value for money.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 27th Jun
It depends on what you want from your watch. With a quartz it’s battery operated, you can pick it up after a week of not wearing and the time and date will be correct. Autos are powered by a self winding rotor, ie the movement on your wrist is what keeps the watch running and wound, usually up to a max of 40 hours or so depending on the movement.
Nothing at all with a quartz watch, one of my favourite watches of all time is quartz, it’s really person dependant. I would say though that if you choose the auto route, for just a little north of the £620 Tissot you put up you can get some MUCH better options.
If you’re comfortable saying a budget as such, I’d be more that happy to give my 2c on a few watches.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 27th Jun
Even though I only own automatics, based on what you have said I would suggest quartz

Quartz can run for 10+ years without the need of a service (other than a battery change), where as auto with daily use should be serviced every few years

Quartz are more accurate. Even the high end auto that have been regulated will gain/lose seconds per day. You also don’t have to worry about a winder, keeping charge and adjusting the time like you do with auto

Don’t get me wrong there are reasons to go for an auto.

I think your choice of watch is a good one, Tissot are really well made and good bang for buck.
vivian26527/06/2020 08:59

Thanks for the advice!At the moment, I quite like these:[Image] [Image] …Thanks for the advice!At the moment, I quite like these:[Image] [Image] Not sure whether to go for something a bit bigger like a dive watch or a bit simpler.

Try them on (or at least a similar shape/size) beforehand. You want it to be comfortable and the right size for you.

Also don’t worry about the straps - if you preferred the bracelet on one there are always options. Check out different types of straps - bracelet (bottom), Milanese (top), rubber, nato etc to find what you prefer
vivian26527/06/2020 08:28

Thanks for your replies. Do you think a dive watch is suitable for formal …Thanks for your replies. Do you think a dive watch is suitable for formal wear? I know it’s generally frowned upon, wearing it with a suit but I would want a watch that’s I can wear for different occasions. I wear smart casual to work but a suit occasionally for meetings.

100% they can be wore formally depending on the watch/strap combo.
Sub £200
firstclasswatches.co.uk/lum…88/

Sub £400
pleasanceandharper.co.uk/pro…31/

From about £500-800 you’re kind of in no mans land with watches, you’d either be better off going for one of the cheaper ones or in my opinion, it would be worth paying the extra £200-300 and getting a proper watch from a serious watchmaker.

fraserhart.co.uk/nom…tch

mrporter.com/en-…424

hotukdeals.com/dea…230

If you’re dead set on keeping it a lower price, I’d go with the Hamilton 10 times out of 10.
Appreciate the advice and suggestions guys, a lot of watches I haven’t heard of before. Judging by your comments, I think quartz might be better for me - I can see myself going a couple days without wearing a watch at all and I wouldn’t want the hassle of adjusting the time too frequently.

In terms of price, I don’t really want to go above £500. I do like the look of some of the ‘cheaper’ models of high-end brands but I don’t think I can justify it as a first ‘luxury’ (in my eyes) watch.

I have clubcard points to the value of a £180 Goldsmiths voucher so the Seastar would only cost me £270. But why do I feel guilty spending on a watch? Is it because it’s a luxury item?
vivian26527/06/2020 09:51

Appreciate the advice and suggestions guys, a lot of watches I haven’t h …Appreciate the advice and suggestions guys, a lot of watches I haven’t heard of before. Judging by your comments, I think quartz might be better for me - I can see myself going a couple days without wearing a watch at all and I wouldn’t want the hassle of adjusting the time too frequently.In terms of price, I don’t really want to go above £500. I do like the look of some of the ‘cheaper’ models of high-end brands but I don’t think I can justify it as a first ‘luxury’ (in my eyes) watch.I have clubcard points to the value of a £180 Goldsmiths voucher so the Seastar would only cost me £270. But why do I feel guilty spending on a watch? Is it because it’s a luxury item?

The most important thing is going with what you like. Never feel guilty about spending money on yourself, my guess is you work hard, you’re looking at watches, they’re on your radar, life’s about living, it’s nice to treat yourself once in a while! Watch some YouTube vids, read some reviews, figure if it’s the right watch for whatever occasions you want it for and pull the trigger
vivian26527/06/2020 08:59

Thanks for the advice!At the moment, I quite like these:[Image] [Image] …Thanks for the advice!At the moment, I quite like these:[Image] [Image] Not sure whether to go for something a bit bigger like a dive watch or a bit simpler.

I have the 2nd one in my collections, although, the first piece is quite handsome with the milanese mesh watch. Reminds me of my breitling superocean breitling heritage superocean ii chrono.

In my collection four a quartz while convenient hassle to have to send off for a new battery and service. With the auto's a little more forethought need to go especially if you have to wind it. My longines hydro conquest annoyingly doesn't let you wind the date independently of the time.
Edited by: "Sammy86" 27th Jun
My solar powered radio-controlled watch cost me 50 quid. Never needs a battery and always accurate. I can use the watch night light to find the toilet at night which I do about 4am. Age! Guess I'm not a watch lover and just want to know correct time and not mess with batteries
Edited by: "wayners" 27th Jun
Kratos6927/06/2020 10:01

The most important thing is going with what you like. Never feel guilty …The most important thing is going with what you like. Never feel guilty about spending money on yourself, my guess is you work hard, you’re looking at watches, they’re on your radar, life’s about living, it’s nice to treat yourself once in a while! Watch some YouTube vids, read some reviews, figure if it’s the right watch for whatever occasions you want it for and pull the trigger

Thanks for the help, definitely makes me feel a lot better about buying a watch!
vivian26527/06/2020 09:51

Appreciate the advice and suggestions guys, a lot of watches I haven’t h …Appreciate the advice and suggestions guys, a lot of watches I haven’t heard of before. Judging by your comments, I think quartz might be better for me - I can see myself going a couple days without wearing a watch at all and I wouldn’t want the hassle of adjusting the time too frequently.In terms of price, I don’t really want to go above £500. I do like the look of some of the ‘cheaper’ models of high-end brands but I don’t think I can justify it as a first ‘luxury’ (in my eyes) watch.I have clubcard points to the value of a £180 Goldsmiths voucher so the Seastar would only cost me £270. But why do I feel guilty spending on a watch? Is it because it’s a luxury item?

I think of it this way. A pretty nice watch, like the sort you're looking at will work indefinitely and something you could give to your kids in the future. My dad loves watches and he's given me a nice Swiss made watch from the 1940's and a USSR pocket watch from the 1960's and they work great and always make me think of him and something I will cherish when he's gone (hopefully not for a long while!) Also I wouldn't worry about the style and what's acceptable. Wear what you like, to hell with what people think!
I have both types, but mainly wear a quartz. I, and I suspect many watch fans, tend to prefer mechanical watches because you know that someone has spent time, skill and probably a little love into the design and execution of creating the watch. Even though most of the time only you will know it, it is a quiet satisfaction of owning a machine, rather than another computer. If this resonates with you, then the Hamilton is a great watch and if you do a bit of research there are other under the radar brands producing lovely machines for not a lot of money. Christopher Ward, for example. Also, consider buying used, lots of bargains out there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants