AV Receiver - How to get 2 optical outputs into 1 optical input

Found 16th FebEdited by:"steevieboy4u"
Recently my Sony Surround Sound system went into protect mode and wouldn’t come out of it. So purchased another system (ONKYO HT-R518)

It has got 2 optical inputs, I’ve used one for my Xbox One, the other is used on my Skybox, I also have an Android box which has an optical output so I was wondering would I be able to use this or similar:

ebay.co.uk/itm…649

Then connect both my Xbox and Android box to the same optical input (they will never be used at the same time)

I know the Ebay adapter states 1 input 2 outputs (splitter) but just wondered if there was a way to do it the other way round or would this also work the opposite way?

Hope all this makes senses?

Cheers for any pointers
Community Updates
AskElectronics
16 Comments
Your linked item won't work for this - you need a switch, not a splitter. I can't recommend any particular model, but from a quick search, it's this sort of thing that you'd need: amazon.co.uk/Por…EUY
Illusionary6 m ago

Your linked item won't work for this - you need a switch, not a splitter. …Your linked item won't work for this - you need a switch, not a splitter. I can't recommend any particular model, but from a quick search, it's this sort of thing that you'd need: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Toslink-Digital-Optical-Switcher/dp/B01A89OEUY

Thanks for that. That looks like it has to be manually switched, are there ones that switch automatically but don't cost the earth?
steevieboy4u7 m ago

Thanks for that. That looks like it has to be manually switched, are there …Thanks for that. That looks like it has to be manually switched, are there ones that switch automatically but don't cost the earth?

Your best bet is just to try searching. I don't have any personal experience wiith these so that's all that I could do anyway. I'd suggest not trying to go too cheap with these, though, or you may well end up with something that doesn't work reliably or gives a poor signal.
Illusionary17th Feb

Your best bet is just to try searching. I don't have any personal …Your best bet is just to try searching. I don't have any personal experience wiith these so that's all that I could do anyway. I'd suggest not trying to go too cheap with these, though, or you may well end up with something that doesn't work reliably or gives a poor signal.

Ok cheers for the way a head
Can you not use the HDMI output from one of the devices instead? If not does the skybox not have digital coax out as well (some do)
I'm not sure what you're trying to do using optical instead of HDMI for audio but wouldnt it be better directly plugging into the TV and using the TV optical output to the Amp as would give you stereo and a few sets now offer dts/dd/lpcm 5.1 pass through.
Those SPDIF cables always pop out of those switches etc I gave up in my attempt to do what you wanted to do. They really need to remake the connectors and start again with something better.
MadeDixonsCry11 m ago

Here's a link to start you off …Here's a link to start you off https://www.amazon.co.uk/C2G-27027-Toslink-Digital-Splitter/dp/B0002344GG

That's not going to help at all here - steevieboy4needs a switch, not a splitter (and if you re-read his post you'll see that he's already found something similar). The two devices are fundamentally different in function.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 17th Feb
Illusionary3 h, 40 m ago

That's not going to help at all here - steevieboy4needs a switch, not a …That's not going to help at all here - steevieboy4needs a switch, not a splitter (and if you re-read his post you'll see that he's already found something similar). The two devices are fundamentally different in function.

Your problem solving skills suck. And if you read his item it's one in two out whereas he wants two in one out.

Edit: I have to apologise for not reading the Amazon listing correctly. I'm an idiot
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 17th Feb
kester766 h, 30 m ago

I'm not sure what you're trying to do using optical instead of HDMI for …I'm not sure what you're trying to do using optical instead of HDMI for audio but wouldnt it be better directly plugging into the TV and using the TV optical output to the Amp as would give you stereo and a few sets now offer dts/dd/lpcm 5.1 pass through.

Would be even simpler to connect the devices straight to the AVR with HDMI and use the HDMI out from the AVR to the TV but for some unknown reason (OP hasn't told us why) he wants to use Optical cables rather than HDMI

why aren't you using HDMI?
splatsplatsplat6 h, 10 m ago

Those SPDIF cables always pop out of those switches etc I gave up in my …Those SPDIF cables always pop out of those switches etc I gave up in my attempt to do what you wanted to do. They really need to remake the connectors and start again with something better.

They did. They move don to Digital CoAX and then the world moved even further forward with HDMI
Uridium1 h, 45 m ago

Would be even simpler to connect the devices straight to the AVR with HDMI …Would be even simpler to connect the devices straight to the AVR with HDMI and use the HDMI out from the AVR to the TV but for some unknown reason (OP hasn't told us why) he wants to use Optical cables rather than HDMIwhy aren't you using HDMI?

I think the AVR supports HDMI 1.3 or maybe lower so probably loses deep colour and 4K/HDR.
Uridium1 h, 47 m ago

They did. They move don to Digital CoAX and then the world moved even …They did. They move don to Digital CoAX and then the world moved even further forward with HDMI

Both are SPDIF so it doesn't really matter. Optical is just thinner so easier to use than the Digital coax version.
Hi all. Sorry not replied earlier been at work.
The AV receiver is an older model so the HDMI for some reason don't route the audio like my old Sony did (I never realised this until after connecting up and reading the instruction manual).
The reason I wanted to use the SPDIF was they're smaller so less conspicuous and neater.
Think I may just use the coax option or standard audio cables for the Skybox as the optical switches are quite expensive just for the sake of abit of tidiness.

Cheers all for the suggestions
steevieboy4u15 m ago

Hi all. Sorry not replied earlier been at work.The AV receiver is an older …Hi all. Sorry not replied earlier been at work.The AV receiver is an older model so the HDMI for some reason don't route the audio like my old Sony did (I never realised this until after connecting up and reading the instruction manual).The reason I wanted to use the SPDIF was they're smaller so less conspicuous and neater.Think I may just use the coax option or standard audio cables for the Skybox as the optical switches are quite expensive just for the sake of abit of tidiness.Cheers all for the suggestions

Not sure what you mean, are you talking about the lack of HDMI audio ARC return support ?
33285681-021sM.jpgAs stated from the instruction manual if using a HDMI cable the audio for the speakers has to be routed via separate analogue or digital connections
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants