Expired

Average cost of putting wooden floors in a 2 bed flat?

Found 19th Jan 2014
We're currently renting a 2 bedroom flat. The carpet we have is disgusting (always has been). I want to call the landlord and ask whether they would agree to have wooden panels fitted? I would like to offer to share the cost but need an estimate how much it would be using average priced materials and labour? The area to be covered would include a living room and 2 double bedrooms. Thanks guys.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Bed
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Bed
14 Comments
You'd need to measure up the square meter-age to be able to get a rough estimate
Original Poster
I was trying to avoid that right, let me get a measuring tape
Original Poster
Living room is 305 inches (775cm) long and 105 inches (267cm) wide. If anyone can tell me more or less how much this room would cost to put panels in that would be very helpful.
Edited by: "MissyTrouble" 19th Jan 2014
MissyTrouble

Living room is 305 inches (775cm) long and 105 inches (267cm) wide. If … Living room is 305 inches (775cm) long and 105 inches (267cm) wide. If anyone can tell me more or less how much this room would cost to put panels in that would be very helpful.

I'm sure there will be calculators available online?
Wickes/b&q etc will tell you what each pack will cover so working out a cost should not be too hard I think.
It depends on what flooring you want
here is a calculator

http://www.thefloorshop.co.uk/online_floor_calculator.html

in laminate about £450

in engineered wood about £800

in solid wood about £900

descriptions below

Laminate

Laminate flooring has now become a popular choice in homes. It combines the warm effect of wooden flooring with strength and durability.

It succeeds where real wood, vinyl and carpet fail with exceptional resistance to impact as well as high resistance to shoe heels, scuffs, spillages, dirt and staining.

As such, it is ideal for kitchens, children’s bedrooms and hallways.

Laminate flooring is maintenance free and does not need polishing, sanding or sealing.

Almost all laminate floors can now be fitted without glue using a 'click' system. This makes it fast, clean and simple to lay and can be dismantled and re-installed if necessary.

Engineered

Engineered floors are also sometimes known as veneered floors or real wood laminates.

They provide a softer, more natural look than laminate floors using a real wood veneer but are not as resistant to abrasion or impact.

A number of engineered floors are also now being manufactured with a 'click' system.

A huge benefit of engineered floors is stability, which makes them the preferred choice in rooms with underfloor heating.

Solid

Commonly referred to as hardwood floors, solid floors are made from real wood throughout and are seen by many people as an investment rather than an expense.

Solid floors are generally 18-20mm thick and can be re-sanded, re-stained and re-sealed many times over.

Solid floors are genuinely floors for life.

hth

EliTom
Original Poster
takethatfan1978

I'm sure there will be calculators available online?Wickes/b&q etc will … I'm sure there will be calculators available online?Wickes/b&q etc will tell you what each pack will cover so working out a cost should not be too hard I think.It depends on what flooring you want

I used a B&Q calculator which says around £300 for materials but I still have no clue how much labour. I was hoping to get an answer from someone who deals in wooden flooring as my expertise in this subject is non-existent :O
MissyTrouble

I used a B&Q calculator which says around £300 for materials but I still … I used a B&Q calculator which says around £300 for materials but I still have no clue how much labour. I was hoping to get an answer from someone who deals in wooden flooring as my expertise in this subject is non-existent :O

the examples I quoted above include labour - and the number kind of fit - £300 plus a days labour (about £150)

EliTom
MissyTrouble

I used a B&Q calculator which says around £300 for materials but I still … I used a B&Q calculator which says around £300 for materials but I still have no clue how much labour. I was hoping to get an answer from someone who deals in wooden flooring as my expertise in this subject is non-existent :O

I run a small carpentry buissness and at a blind guess your looking around £150 labour give or take a little for awkward cuts ect.

djc
Just make sure that there isn't a clause in the actual property lease stating that hardwood flooring may not be used as this is a common clause where flats are concerned as the sound impacts on the property below.
Original Poster
Thank you all for your help
If you are upstairs, laminate is a bad idea. It is very noisy for neighbours. It isn't very warm either! We have a type of vinyl flooring that looks exactly like wooden floor, and is non-slip & easy to clean as well as being warmer than laminate. Check it out online, any good carpet shops should have samples too.
Laminate floor isn't hard to do I done mine and I'm useless with anything like that
Hire a belt sander and clean up your floor boards and then varnish. Much cheaper.
im sure topps tiles do some laminate for about £5m2. last time i fitted some it was click together and very simple to do yourself (a few years ago)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants