Expired

Average Idle I7 4790K Temps

Found 29th Oct 2014
What are peoples average idle temps for an intel I7 4790K, just compleated my build during the weekend haven't overclocked yet as still need some info on how to do so. but im not to happy personally with the temps hovering around 30 degrees c on idle
Community Updates
17 Comments
Average temps are completely useless. Unless you're running hot idle, as soon as you put some load on the cores the temp will shoot up. It all depends on the average temp of your room too. 20-30c is perfectly normal for an Intel CPU.
Overclocking also won't have an affect on idle temps unless you disable the power saving which stops the CPU from downclocking when idle.

Edited by: "rev6" 29th Oct 2014
5 mins after boot up no activity but desktop, 27 to 32 degrees depending on ambient temperature.
Should mention what you are using to cool the cpu stock fan or water cooled etc
Original Poster
Using a h100i
waaqii

Using a h100i

What are your load temps using something like prime95 or IntelBurnTest? Idle at 30c is still normal with the h100i.

Original Poster
rev6

What are your load temps using something like prime95 or IntelBurnTest? … What are your load temps using something like prime95 or IntelBurnTest? Idle at 30c is still normal with the h100i.

Not really familiar with prime 95 but I ran it for an hour and asus ai suite said a cpu temp of 67 degrees which is ok I suppose
Original Poster
However I would say that using the computer now temperatures remain at around 42 degrees under normal internet browsing
67c does seem quite high for that cooler. I run a slightly undervolted 3770k and don't reach 60c with a evo 212.
What are the temps for your harddrive/s?
Original Poster
rev6

67c does seem quite high for that cooler. I run a slightly undervolted … 67c does seem quite high for that cooler. I run a slightly undervolted 3770k and don't reach 60c with a evo 212.

any recomendations? to be honest helled out quite alot of money on this build and would want it to be right
waaqii

any recomendations? to be honest helled out quite alot of money on this … any recomendations? to be honest helled out quite alot of money on this build and would want it to be right

Well it could be case ventilation, or a poor thermal paste application before applying the cooler. Both you can fix.
Original Poster
rev6

What are the temps for your harddrive/s?

Temp for samsung evo ssd is 28 degrees and WD black hdd is 29 degrees
waaqii

Temp for samsung evo ssd is 28 degrees and WD black hdd is 29 degrees

SSD temp is a good way of getting an ambient temp for your system, and 28c is decent enough.
What fan speed are you running the h100i at?
And is the radiator set up to pull air from outside or vent interior air out?
dcx_badass

4670k, only on an air cooler (Freezer 13), idle and full load for 30 mins … 4670k, only on an air cooler (Freezer 13), idle and full load for 30 mins using Aida64 stress test, your temps seem very high for water.

I agree. Your temps look about right.
Remember that the temperature sensors you're reading are the sensors to detect overheating and control throttling and they're only calibrated to be accurate close to maximum values. That's why you've get such big temperature difference between cores, it's the readings wandering rather than a temperature gradient so extreme there's a 6°C difference a few millimetres apart.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants