Average Speed Cameras

Found 2nd Apr 2012
I was wondering if these average speed cameras actually work.
I am specifically on about the 20 or so mile stretch on the M62 from about Leeds to where that house is in the middle of the motorway.

I set my cruise control at 54mph and have had no problems but see so many people overtaking me and going much faster.

Does anyone know how they actually work? Do they monitor your speed from one camera to another or just average speed when you are going over the cameras?
Community Updates
39 Comments
I'm sure I heard once if you change lanes on entry and exit you can't be logged?
danmc

I'm sure I heard once if you change lanes on entry and exit you can't be … I'm sure I heard once if you change lanes on entry and exit you can't be logged?

Pretty sure this isn't true as the cameras constantly monitor all lanes. It's true whenever I'm on the M25 doing around 52mph all other cars seem to zoom past me at speed.
The threshold is set quite high at about 57mph in the 50 zone, so keep pushing it and you will get caught.
Those ones in question do work (mate of mine got done by them not long ago).

I went through the other week, but stayed at 50 & get your point - people flying past me ??

The lane changing USED to work, but doesnt work anymore since they fixed this flaw when it became public knowledge.
My ma got done for doing 54. My brother gone done for a little bit over that. I know loads that have got done for these types have cameras.
Ahh good old house in the middle of the motorway.
Well thats me in the shtuck then as I repeatedly follow the flow of traffic on that stretch and often reach the dizzy heights of 70 when over cautios drivers let me! stupid system, roll on the tickets....
during the day they work. general rule is 10% over plus 2mph.

At night have a look there only a few that have lights pointing into the road, they are the ones that can catch you.

do what I do an play chicken behind trucks.
Check the number plates of those speeding. Are they all latvian or from some other country?
MinstrelMan

during the day they work. general rule is 10% over plus 2mph.At night … during the day they work. general rule is 10% over plus 2mph.At night have a look there only a few that have lights pointing into the road, they are the ones that can catch you.do what I do an play chicken behind trucks.

Lol I have tried this too! genius
a mate i work with got done on the m62 last week not sure how fast he had been going
clarkeyboy170

Theyve started to combat this with rear facing SPECS cameras
simonturner69

Theyve started to combat this with rear facing SPECS cameras

Play chicken both ways then (that sounds like an innuendo, but I assure you, it aint.)
the trick is to keep your bumper tucked behind the car in front then you'll never get caught.

Also if you pass the camera then pull over to the hard shoulder for an hour you should be able to top a ton after that.
gmdlogan

My ma got done for doing 54. My brother gone done for a little bit over … My ma got done for doing 54. My brother gone done for a little bit over that. I know loads that have got done for these types have cameras.

Your usually allowed to 55 in a 50 on the 10% rule.

33 in a 30, 44 in a 40, 55 in a 50 etc..
Remember the first time travelling down to Ayr in my sister's car and it had average speed cameras on some of the roads. She had no idea that they actually measured your average speed, she thought they were just "average" speed cameras and not as good as the usual ones - true story X)
if u do 75 for 1st half mile then 25 for second shud b ok
mm mayb not maths not my strong point lol..
shauneco

Your usually allowed to 55 in a 50 on the 10% rule.33 in a 30, 44 in a … Your usually allowed to 55 in a 50 on the 10% rule.33 in a 30, 44 in a 40, 55 in a 50 etc..

Thats to account for your spedo being off.... if you're going 55 and you're spedo is off then you may be going faster than you think.
lumoruk

the trick is to keep your bumper tucked behind the car in front then … the trick is to keep your bumper tucked behind the car in front then you'll never get caught. .

The trick is to drive within the limits the no getting caught, hard I know but its the simplest option. Move your chair back a notch and then your leg / foot won't be so heavy on the throttle

I set my cruise control at 54mph and have had no problems but see so many … I set my cruise control at 54mph and have had no problems but see so many people overtaking me and going much faster.

Could be that your speedometer is not accurate, many speedos are 10% out and they read 50mph when you are in fact only doing 45mph....if you sat nav has a GPS get a true reading from that.
slamdunkin

Could be that your speedometer is not accurate, many speedos are 10% out … Could be that your speedometer is not accurate, many speedos are 10% out and they read 50mph when you are in fact only doing 45mph....if you sat nav has a GPS get a true reading from that.

or you can use the gps in your smartphone by downloading the road angel app.
MinstrelMan

Thats to account for your spedo being off.... if you're going 55 and … Thats to account for your spedo being off.... if you're going 55 and you're spedo is off then you may be going faster than you think.

I understand that and that is one of the reasons for the rule if their is a rule, However I'm referring to a factual accurate speed etc.. Most speedo's exaggerate speed, Mine is fairly accurate, Probably 1% out at most going by the GPS.
The faster you go, the less accurate your speedo is.

Also forces have different policies, so going 55 in a 50 may land you in trouble.

It just depends and there is no way of knowing as they can change their policy whenever they like X)
Quote from the manufactures of SPECS system. "The SPECS system is so efficient and user friendly that Manchester CTO processed 2,500 offences in 6 man-hours".

That's a lot of money they're making!
ladiesman589

Quote from the manufactures of SPECS system. "The SPECS system is so … Quote from the manufactures of SPECS system. "The SPECS system is so efficient and user friendly that Manchester CTO processed 2,500 offences in 6 man-hours".That's a lot of money they're making!

Folk don't still think the cameras are about road safety, do they ?
Anyone who tells you they are anything but a cash cow is either a liar, a politician or a copper - or more likely, a combination of the aforementioned.
Only around a third of the boxes act have actual cameras in them. They are supposed to act as deterrents regardless of what people say. If they really wanted to catch people they would simply have put up more cameras instead of all the flashing "reduce your speed" signs.
clarkeyboy170

Yeah, and just hope you have a truck to hide behind at *every* average speed camera. And you don't cause an accident by ducking in desperately to avoid getting caught.

Genius.
My sat nav is always about 5mph out, I'm definitely doing 20mph because of the engine sound in 3rd gear, but the sat nav thinks its 15. Shame really.
you do 54mph on a motorway and wonder why everyone is overtaking you? oO

Is this a restricted 20 mile motorway section then? Seems weird.
csiman

you do 54mph on a motorway and wonder why everyone is overtaking you? … you do 54mph on a motorway and wonder why everyone is overtaking you? oOIs this a restricted 20 mile motorway section then? Seems weird.

Its down to 50 until summer 2013 for road works for 20 miles past leeds to about Hudderfield.

Lucky I dont go that way anymore.
MinstrelMan

Its down to 50 until summer 2013 for road works for 20 miles past leeds … Its down to 50 until summer 2013 for road works for 20 miles past leeds to about Hudderfield.Lucky I dont go that way anymore.

Lucky I never have to go North of Watford
The cameras use "infrared" lights so "looking for a camera with a light shining" will NOT work oh and i forgot to mention All specs cameras have infrared lights. So the best way to "Beat" them is not speed
Badders256

My sat nav is always about 5mph out, I'm definitely doing 20mph because … My sat nav is always about 5mph out, I'm definitely doing 20mph because of the engine sound in 3rd gear, but the sat nav thinks its 15. Shame really.

Your sat nav is more accurate than your speedo.
Edited by: "Peegy" 26th May 2012
marty111

The cameras use "infrared" lights so "looking for a camera with a light … The cameras use "infrared" lights so "looking for a camera with a light shining" will NOT work oh and i forgot to mention All specs cameras have infrared lights. So the best way to "Beat" them is not speed

At night you can see what ones are working though
Most of them are fake. I live near a stretch of road which was the first in the country to have them. out of about 12 gantries, only one pair contain real cameras and the rest are empty. Shortly after they were introduced, they added a 'test' camera which was slightly different as they previously had been hopeless at night.
This may not be the case any more but initially, they simply didnt work at night.

As for all the comments about sticking to the limit, most of the limits nowadays around speed cameras are due to the legislation geverning in the installation of the cameras. It is easier to place a camera in a 50 zone than a 60 zone so many revenue-chasing authorities simply dropped the speed limits in areas where they felt the cameras would offer the best return on investment.

Edited by: "cynikill" 27th May 2012
fk the police fk the police
marty111

The cameras use "infrared" lights so "looking for a camera with a light … The cameras use "infrared" lights so "looking for a camera with a light shining" will NOT work oh and i forgot to mention All specs cameras have infrared lights. So the best way to "Beat" them is not speed

If you have a camera and a passenger, get them to point it at the camera.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants