Groups

Average Speed Cameras

Anyone know how these work? Read a description online, but got confused, something about taking ur average speed so u can be caught out by either of the 2 cameras,... do they flash if uve been caught speeding like a standard speed camera does?

I think I might have been caught by one but I dont think i was speeding at the first set of cameras but def was speeding at the 2nd set,..the cameras have been set up on a normal 70mph road, and limiting now at 40mph. When I was travelling the roads were quiet, and I completley forgot....I actually thought they might have been a statistical thing as id never heard of it before - untilI got home and googled it

49 Comments

for average speed cams to work, you need at least 2 sets of cams, as they wotk out the time it takes you to travel between the cameras, which is then compared to the time it would take to cover the distance at a set speed - the speed limit - for that particular stretch of road

The yellow vultures... yep pain in the butt coz we had them on our local motorway for around 9 months. They calculate your average speed from point a (first cam) to point b (second cam) based on time it takes you. Quite clever actually... but a right nightmare and no getting away from them.

Banned

I don't believe they flash, although I could be wrong.

JayIce;6796064

for average speed cams to work, you need at least 2 sets of cams, as they … for average speed cams to work, you need at least 2 sets of cams, as they wotk out the time it takes you to travel between the cameras, which is then compared to the time it would take to cover the distance at a set speed - the speed limit - for that particular stretch of road

Exactly that.

Camera A will see you and calculate how long it should take you to get to camera B doing the speed limit.

If you get to Camera B too quick it will know youve gone over limit.

We had one of these near my old house and they arent very accurate, dont quote me on that though

colinsunderland;6796079

I don't believe they flash, although I could be wrong.

I have never heard of the,m flashing either, but then mebbe they only need flash in poor light?

Original Poster

Im in so much trouble! I hope these ones dont send out fines as im sure I was going about 60 so thats like 20mph over the speed limit- id therefore be in pretty big trouble I imagine??

carol123;6796094

Im in so much trouble! I hope these ones dont send out fines as im sure I … Im in so much trouble! I hope these ones dont send out fines as im sure I was going about 60 so thats like 20mph over the speed limit- id therefore be in pretty big trouble I imagine??

Standard 3 points and fine you will get if they recorded it. :thumbsup:

nothing worse than the wait to see if they got ya or not :((

JayIce;6796093

I have never heard of the,m flashing either, but then mebbe they only … I have never heard of the,m flashing either, but then mebbe they only need flash in poor light?

They don't need to flash. That is only for cameras that are measuring your speed at any one point. These cameras read the number plate and calculate the time between the two cameras.

Chuck U;6796119

They don't need to flash. That is only for cameras that are measuring … They don't need to flash. That is only for cameras that are measuring your speed at any one point. These cameras read the number plate and calculate the time between the two cameras.

Yeah I don't think they require to flash either.

My little sister recently got caught on these near cardiff (74 in a 50, about 1 in the morning roadworks where there are like no works going on sort of thing). They cant be massivly accurate i dont think, and you will prop only get done on them if you are going substantially over the limit.

Chuck U;6796119

They don't need to flash. That is only for cameras that are measuring … They don't need to flash. That is only for cameras that are measuring your speed at any one point. These cameras read the number plate and calculate the time between the two cameras.

Thats what i did think, but with the old speed limiter, I havnt had to worry about them, just figured they mebbe "flashed" in poor light to pick up plate

With postal strikes lots of fines are being delayed, so if you dont get it within 2 weeks you get off

Just hope there are more postal strikes as you have to receive the letter within a certain amount of time or its invalid. Sorry cant remember how long it is or where I read it but it was in the last month.

carol123;6796094

Im in so much trouble! I hope these ones dont send out fines as im sure I … Im in so much trouble! I hope these ones dont send out fines as im sure I was going about 60 so thats like 20mph over the speed limit- id therefore be in pretty big trouble I imagine??

Thats quite a bit over the limit, dont be surprised if something comes through.

Hope it doesnt as long as youve learnt your lesson though

Simpso;6796136

With postal strikes lots of fines are being delayed, so if you dont get … With postal strikes lots of fines are being delayed, so if you dont get it within 2 weeks you get off

No such luck now...........strikes are over. lol

They are according to most sources very accurate, we have them on the tunnel after the tamar bridge, and they say that they are more accurate than standard gatso and laser cameras, because of which they do not need the "10% for error" calibration

They don't flash.

As others have said, they calculate your speed from the time it takes you to pass 2, 3, or 4 sets of cameras.

Yes, I'm afraid you are in so much trouble.

Sorry.

Once a speed head always a speed head, of course until you have no drivers licence anymore

bit harsh and unfair praxx, EVERYONE breaks the limits now and then either intentionally or unintentionally

lumoruk;6796175

If you change lanes from the camera A you are okay

untrue im afraid, it is even possible for average speed cams to pick you up from the opposite carriage way

Banned

JayIce;6796179

untrue im afraid, it is even possible for average speed cams to pick you … untrue im afraid, it is even possible for average speed cams to pick you up from the opposite carriage way

read the numerous articles on the nets :thumbsup:

thisislondon.co.uk/new….do

Original Poster

I technically wasnt speeding as its a70mph road but I thought the 40mph was temporary during the hours of road works- I definetly have learned my lesson and wont do it again and have since been on the same road and crawled through it lol. I dont know if it will only be 3 points because of the speed I was driving at, wouldnt that be a court hearing and 6points? Ouufff how bad - wish me luck guys !!

JayIce;6796174

bit harsh and unfair praxx, EVERYONE breaks the limits now and then … bit harsh and unfair praxx, EVERYONE breaks the limits now and then either intentionally or unintentionally

Not really, honestly we are all sorry when we do it, yet we continue to do it. especially if we end up getting away with it.

Things is if the cameras are spaced out at say 2 miles apart... if you were doing 60 in a 40 limit for the first mile you could of then slowed down to 20 for the second mile.. thus equaling out your 2 mile stint to 40 in a 40 LOL ;-)

lumoruk;6796175

If you change lanes from the camera A you are … If you change lanes from the camera A you are okayhttp://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23370879-drivers-can-avoid-speeding-ticketsby-changing-lanes.do

+1 You can just swap lanes between the cameras and they don't pick you up. :thumbsup:

lumoruk;6796175

If you change lanes from the camera A you are … If you change lanes from the camera A you are okayhttp://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23370879-drivers-can-avoid-speeding-ticketsby-changing-lanes.do

hmm interesting read tho!!

not so long ago on the a38 up from exeter, the contraflows meant that the cameras were workin upto 5 normal lanes across than the usual 3, and people were still getting caught!

mmafia;6796195

+1 You can just swap lanes between the cameras and they don't pick you … +1 You can just swap lanes between the cameras and they don't pick you up. :thumbsup:

I really doubt that.

Original Poster

I did actually change lanes, coz I rememer I was in the right lane when I saw the 2nd camera and thought OOOHHH Ohhhhhhhh ---so hopefully another wee loop hole... well its been 8days now and still no mail but as uze say with the strikes it could be delayed- so fx for more strikes or not being caught by the cams:)

mmafia;6796195

+1 You can just swap lanes between the cameras and they don't pick you … +1 You can just swap lanes between the cameras and they don't pick you up. :thumbsup:

Wrong............they do pick you up but you can try and wriggle out of it. But if you read the whole article it say's they can still penalise you and it isn't foolproof.

This sort of thing will only work for big earners like footballers who employ Mr Loophole........that's all.

PraxxtorCruel;6796206

I really doubt that.

Doubt it all you want, it's true. Big flaw that they know about but "hope the public won't abuse the knowledge"

Did anyone notice the date on that article: 15.10.06

Surely 3 years down the line they have now overcome this loophole ?

Banned

Squelds;6796192

Things is if the cameras are spaced out at say 2 miles apart... if you … Things is if the cameras are spaced out at say 2 miles apart... if you were doing 60 in a 40 limit for the first mile you could of then slowed down to 20 for the second mile.. thus equaling out your 2 mile stint to 40 in a 40 LOL ;-)

I park up for an hour, have a nap then awake and put my foot to the floor and do 120mph! easily and people are like :w00t: ticket!!! but nah I'm smarter than them 8-)

Original Poster

Ive just been reading about fines, it says u get 3-6points but if u went ovee 30mph over speed limit ur most likeley to face ban but on driving on a Motorway its says u face a ban if driving over 100mph so would that mean im not likey to face a ban then?

mmafia;6796224

Doubt it all you want, it's true. Big flaw that they know about but "hope … Doubt it all you want, it's true. Big flaw that they know about but "hope the public won't abuse the knowledge"

If you read the full article, it does state that this "may" allow you to get out of it, but that some are still getting speeding fines from it

carol123;6796315

Ive just been reading about fines, it says u get 3-6points but if u went … Ive just been reading about fines, it says u get 3-6points but if u went ovee 30mph over speed limit ur most likeley to face ban but on driving on a Motorway its says u face a ban if driving over 100mph so would that mean im not likey to face a ban then?

You won't get banned unless you already have loads of points. You will get 3 points for that. Possibly more if you contest it in court and the magistrate doesn't like you.

Original Poster

okay thanks for that, im actually a fairly new driver- passed in may so no points and dont fancy having any, my insurance is dear enough! thanks for all ur help, i have a bad feeling about getting a tkt here so i shall let yous know if i get one or if i manage to somehow get away with it (oh that would be good!) Thanks again x

carol123;6796361

okay thanks for that, im actually a fairly new driver- passed in may so … okay thanks for that, im actually a fairly new driver- passed in may so no points and dont fancy having any, my insurance is dear enough! thanks for all ur help, i have a bad feeling about getting a tkt here so i shall let yous know if i get one or if i manage to somehow get away with it (oh that would be good!) Thanks again x

Be careful then as one more speeding ticket and you will lose your licence as a new driver i think as 6 points in the first year is a suspension. Think you have to retake your test as well if that happens...........not sure as it was many moons ago when i passed. lol

Don't worry. Put it down to experience. x

Original Poster

Yeh you do have to re take ur test im sure,plus if its from a ban i believe its an extended and more difficult test plus the examiner will know uve had a ban so instantly will be against u ! Im going to be driving around at snail speed now - for the nxt few months at least
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7261377
      2. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.39
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2646
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767428

See more discussions