Found 21st Jun 2009
Hi all, I've been using my 360 to watch avi. files on for ages now, it works flawlessly.
However a few files recently have been showing up as significantly shorter than they actually are.
For instance out of a 6 episode series of 25 minute each, 3 of them show up as being 25 minutes, while the other 3 show up as being anywhere from 9-15 minutes each.
When the displayed time ends the episode continues to play with just a black screen, so just audio.
I have redownloaded the said files numerous times, even using different computers, and even different torrents, but no matter where I download them from, they play fine on computers (the full 25 minutes) but on my 360 only have audio from about halfway onwards.
Rep for any using help.

9 Comments

When that happens to me I just restart the xbox and it seems to sort itself out, i've never had to re-download anything

Original Poster

Restarting my 360 does nothing to the video files at all.

how are you playing them? USB stick or streaming from your pc? If usb try streaming them using tversity its a doddle to set up and plays just about anything you throw at it!

the video files might have been encoded with segmenting - basically where each part between ad breaks is ripped and encoded separately - meaning slightly different bit rates for different parts which could make the 360 trip up. or perhaps they're just slightly corrupt. try googling "avi repair index" find an appropriate tool and give that a shot. might fix it.

Original Poster

harlzter;5551472

how are you playing them? USB stick or streaming from your pc? If usb try … how are you playing them? USB stick or streaming from your pc? If usb try streaming them using tversity its a doddle to set up and plays just about anything you throw at it!

Thanks for the advice, but I have no intention of streaming videos, simply because I don't want to.

Original Poster

bruffterman;5551621

the video files might have been encoded with segmenting - basically where … the video files might have been encoded with segmenting - basically where each part between ad breaks is ripped and encoded separately - meaning slightly different bit rates for different parts which could make the 360 trip up. or perhaps they're just slightly corrupt. try googling "avi repair index" find an appropriate tool and give that a shot. might fix it.

I'll have a little google around and see if it comes to anytihn, will report back here.

the dandy p;5551668

Thanks for the advice, but I have no intention of streaming videos, … Thanks for the advice, but I have no intention of streaming videos, simply because I don't want to.

Why wouldn't you want to? Way easier than having to load everything you want to watch onto a USB stick if you can access your entire PC library (or whatever you want to add to it) directly from your xbox.

Original Poster

autolesbona;5551843

Why wouldn't you want to? Way easier than having to load everything you … Why wouldn't you want to? Way easier than having to load everything you want to watch onto a USB stick if you can access your entire PC library (or whatever you want to add to it) directly from your xbox.

Because I don't leave my pc on all the time...

Original Poster

Rep left for Bruffterman, downloaded an avi fixer and everything works like a charm now, cheers.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941398
    2. Add one, leave one game54415434
    3. What do you see?3138
    4. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…48107

See more discussions