Avoid Tenda NOVA WiFi Mesh Network If Gaming

Posted 24th May 2020
Hi everyone. Let me explain my story/situation to
you.

I'm with Virgin Media on a 500Mb speed line. The router is located downstairs and my PC is upstairs. I originally used a "TP-Link AC600 Dual-Band Wi-Fi USB Adapter - Archer T2U" to connect to the WiFi, and I was getting around 80Mb/s speeds. I wanted to download games quicker and get the speeds I pay for.

After looking online for a fix (that didn't include a long Ethernet cable) I came across the Tenda NOVA Mw5 wifi mesh network, and decided to buy it and set it up.

My WiFi speeds jumped to 120Mb/s. "Great!" I thought to myself.
But I still wasn't happy with those speeds since I pay for 500Mb.

Now here's the strange part...after I installed this WiFi mesh network I noticed when gaming on my consoles and PC, I was hitting a lot of problems more often... packet loss, prediction errors, sometimes kicking me out of games all the time, weird ping problems etc etc. (and I know some of these are supposed to be 'server sided' but it's weird it only started happening a lot more frequent after I installed this mesh network). This didn't happen before I installed the mesh network, and I know these issues are not speed related but likely device related.

Anyway, after researching more about my own WiFi technology that I use, I noticed that AC600 isn't all that up to date anymore, and although there is 'nothing wrong' with it, you'll need a better one if you're wanting to get such high speeds over wifi. So I invested in a "TP-Link Archer T9UH AC1900 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB".

After plugging this in, my speeds went from 120Mb/s to 250Mb/s. "Amazing!" I thought to myself. But my gaming issues were still happening (of course, since my console's WiFi technology hadn't improved, only my PC side).

So tonight, I decided to unplug my WiFi mesh network and go back to the Virgin Superhub 3.0 with split 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels. And guess what? My speeds on my PC have now gone to 400Mb/s, and I no longer have the weird gaming issues.

So... I'm not entirely sure what has happened. I'm not fully into how it all works, but it seems the wifi mesh network was actually worse for me. I'm sure it's great for households with thick walls that don't do any sort of gaming, though.

All in all, I reccomend the TP-Link Archer T9UH AC1900 massively for anyone that has a fast fibre line and has a device with a USB 3.0 slot available to plug it into. Huuuuge increase in speeds.

Anyone else had any similar experiences?
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment
32 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Had a somewhat experience a few years ago when I was at home (before mesh was an affordable option), where I went through so many USB adapters but nothing worked well until I switched to basic power line plugs. Over the years these have been a lifesaver as the house started to have more Ethernet-ready devices - I ended up buying more adapters with multi-Ethernet ports in the plugs. I’ve definitely gotten the value out of them. We have an Orbi setup in my flat since moving out, and thick walls have made it a not so great experience in using. It’s also running off a 5G mobile broadband, so it’s really lacking in a constant and steady stream of data. I’m suggesting the home plug setup to my landlord which will hopefully fix all issues (fingers crossed basic is better than advanced haha).

Out of curiosity, did you try homeplug/Powerline adapters yourself, if you’re having a wired connection straight into your PC? (Unless your upstairs room and downstairs rooms are not connected to the same electric circuit, as that would be the only reason I could think of not going this route)?
  2. Avatar
    Anything can knock WiFi, batteries getting low in a wireless mouse or keyboard for example. If you wanted a good connection home plugs would of been best bet...

but for gaming it doesn’t matter if you have a 50mb or 500mb connection as long as it’s stable no packet loss and low latency. It’s not like dial up back in the day what really affected the game with ping. The only thing about higher speed is the file downloads not the actual playing..
  3. Avatar
    You usually get what you pay for, your not going to get high performance from tenda.
  4. Avatar
    when you try to argue but use completely irrelevant points....

kid... you could have perfect online games on 1mbit connection.
    Edited by: "mtsk" 24th May 2020
  5. Avatar
    Author
    mtsk24/05/2020 08:58

when you try to argue a point but use completely irrelevant …when you try to argue a point but use completely irrelevant points....kid... you could have perfect online games on 1mbit connection.

Errrmm I didn't say the slow speeds affected me. I clearly said I was getting weird problems when I was gaming online when using the WiFi mesh network.
  6. Avatar
    Author
    Bargainhead24/05/2020 07:02

Anything can knock WiFi, batteries getting low in a wireless mouse or …Anything can knock WiFi, batteries getting low in a wireless mouse or keyboard for example. If you wanted a good connection home plugs would of been best bet... but for gaming it doesn’t matter if you have a 50mb or 500mb connection as long as it’s stable no packet loss and low latency. It’s not like dial up back in the day what really affected the game with ping. The only thing about higher speed is the file downloads not the actual playing..

I know that doesn't matter. I never said the speeds affected the gameplay. I said the wifi mesh network seemed to give me weird problems when gaming online, like the devices themselves not the speeds.
  7. Avatar
    ExZero24/05/2020 10:31

Errrmm I didn't say the slow speeds affected me. I clearly said I was …Errrmm I didn't say the slow speeds affected me. I clearly said I was getting weird problems when I was gaming online when using the WiFi mesh network.

All you talked about was speed like it's relevant... And it isn't

You mentioned speeds over 6 times , mentioned nova twice ....
    Edited by: "mtsk" 24th May 2020
  8. Avatar
    Author
    mtsk24/05/2020 10:32

All you talked about was speed like it's relevant... And it isn'tYou …All you talked about was speed like it's relevant... And it isn'tYou mentioned speeds over 6 times , mentioned nova twice ....

Because my situation started because I was getting 80Mb speeds when downloading games and i wanted faster speeds. Not because I was getting weird problems when gaming, that just happened when I created a WiFi mesh network.

You know, reading helps.
    Edited by: "ExZero" 24th May 2020
  9. Avatar
    ExZero24/05/2020 10:34

Because my situation started because I was getting 80Mb speeds when …Because my situation started because I was getting 80Mb speeds when downloading games and i wanted faster speeds. Not because I was getting weird problems when gaming, that just happened when I created a WiFi mesh network.You know, reading helps.

Yes reading helps.... Especially when you don't know what your own subject title says
  10. Avatar
    Author
    mtsk24/05/2020 10:38

Yes reading helps.... Especially when you don't know what your own subject …Yes reading helps.... Especially when you don't know what your own subject title says

What are you even going on about anymore? My title makes perfect sense.

I'm not saying avoid it due to speeds, I'm saying avoid it to get rid of weird connection errors, latency problems, high ping, prediction errors etc.

Just stop now, silly troll.
  11. Avatar
    ExZero24/05/2020 10:34

Because my situation started because I was getting 80Mb speeds when …Because my situation started because I was getting 80Mb speeds when downloading games and i wanted faster speeds. Not because I was getting weird problems when gaming, that just happened when I created a WiFi mesh network.You know, reading helps.

So you were going on about speed like I said...
  12. Avatar
    Author
    Bargainhead24/05/2020 10:41

So you were going on about speed like I said...

*sigh* yes for DOWNLOAD SPEEDS ONLY.

Is that clear enough now?
  13. Avatar
    ExZero24/05/2020 10:43

*sigh* yes for DOWNLOAD SPEEDS ONLY.Is that clear enough now?

Lol try anger management you come across quite aggressive I also explained what can cause problems with WiFi. The way you wrote came across as a problem with speed as well which at 80mb wouldn’t make any difference to online game play. The only online gamers who go on about speed are the ones what are no good at games to begin with...
  14. Avatar
    Author
    Bargainhead24/05/2020 10:48

Lol try anger management you come across quite aggressive I also explained …Lol try anger management you come across quite aggressive I also explained what can cause problems with WiFi. The way you wrote came across as a problem with speed as well which at 80mb wouldn’t make any difference to online game play. The only online gamers who go on about speed are the ones what are no good at games to begin with...

I've said it multiple times this morning already but here I'll say it again:

I haven't once said my download speed was the problem causing the weird gaming connection errors. I clearly write in the original post AFTER i installed the mesh network i was getting these problems, so its likely device related not speed related.

Is that clear enough for you now?

I wasn't getting these problems on my 80Mb speeds before I put the wifi mesh network in and before I upgraded my adapter.

Now I'm getting 400Mb WiFi speeds upstairs using the default Virgin Superhub 3.0 router (with no WiFi mesh netwotk) with no weird connection issues when gaming and life is good.
  15. Avatar
    Your mistake is thinking of it 'mesh' as something entirely different - an understandable mistake as it's often pushed like that.

In reality cheap wi-fi extenders have always been disappointing. Giving them ability to communicate via each other when you install at least three - which is the mesh bit - doesn't solve the underlying issues.

Try a single high end one instead of three cheap ones.
  16. Avatar
    Author
    EndlessWaves24/05/2020 10:57

Your mistake is thinking of it 'mesh' as something entirely different - an …Your mistake is thinking of it 'mesh' as something entirely different - an understandable mistake as it's often pushed like that.In reality cheap wi-fi extenders have always been disappointing. Giving them ability to communicate via each other when you install at least three - which is the mesh bit - doesn't solve the underlying issues.Try a single high end one instead of three cheap ones.

I was thinking of getting a Mw6 just as a base unit but it seems I don't need one now, but yeah I agree it seems they don't work as great as what they should.

But like I mention at the end of my original post, people who live in buildings with thick walls etc that get no WiFi signal upstairs etc will probably benefit greatly from these things.
  17. Avatar
    Author
    mtsk24/05/2020 11:05

Comment deleted

My post doesn't purely talk about speeds, again reading is helpful.

You're clearly a troll btw.
  18. Avatar
    Author
    mtsk24/05/2020 11:09

Comment deleted

I would learn to spell before calling someone stupid - also change your avatar from a troll face if you want anybody to take you seriously.
  19. Avatar
    ExZero24/05/2020 11:10

I would learn to spell before calling someone stupid - also change your …I would learn to spell before calling someone stupid - also change your avatar from a troll face if you want anybody to take you seriously.

Picking on spelling mistakes is something you do when you cannot defend your position.... Bravo
  20. Avatar
    ExZero24/05/2020 10:49

I've said it multiple times this morning already but here I'll say it …I've said it multiple times this morning already but here I'll say it again: I haven't once said my download speed was the problem causing the weird gaming connection errors. I clearly write in the original post AFTER i installed the mesh network i was getting these problems, so its likely device related not speed related.Is that clear enough for you now?I wasn't getting these problems on my 80Mb speeds before I put the wifi mesh network in and before I upgraded my adapter.Now I'm getting 400Mb WiFi speeds upstairs using the default Virgin Superhub 3.0 router (with no WiFi mesh netwotk) with no weird connection issues when gaming and life is good.

I read your first statement but the first few paragraphs are about speed which sets the tone, I understand the mesh caused you more problems,

example “My WiFi speeds jumped to 120Mb/s. "Great!" I thought to myself.
    But I still wasn't happy with those speeds since I pay for 500Mb.“

thats is why people comment about speed. Try. Decent homeplugs to your pc if you want full speed assuming your wiring in the house is up to scratch.
  21. Avatar
    ExZero24/05/2020 11:10

I would learn to spell before calling someone stupid - also change your …I would learn to spell before calling someone stupid - also change your avatar from a troll face if you want anybody to take you seriously.

I wouldn’t comment about spelling

“Now here's the strange part...bafter I installed this WiFi mesh network I noticed when gaming on my consoles and PC“

see your mistake.
  22. Avatar
    Author
    mtsk24/05/2020 11:11

Picking on spelling mistakes is something you do when you cannot defend …Picking on spelling mistakes is something you do when you cannot defend your position.... Bravo

My comment about your spelling wasn't to do with my post, you called me stupid whilst you misspelled a word. It's just a daft thing to do.
  23. Avatar
    Author
    Bargainhead24/05/2020 11:16

I wouldn’t comment about spelling“Now here's the strange part...bafter I in …I wouldn’t comment about spelling“Now here's the strange part...bafter I installed this WiFi mesh network I noticed when gaming on my consoles and PC“ see your mistake.

Oh my God... my reply to him was because he was calling me stupid whilst making a spelling error!
  24. Avatar
    I Installed a 4 pack of Tenda nova mw3 in my house last week (only have 100mbps virgin) as my gaming setup is in the recently converted loft where the WIFI barely reached it. I Plugged my playstation directly into the node in the loft with the provided ethernet cable and now I get 60 down and 10 up consistently. Absolutely no issues since then and it took 10 mins to switch the virgin router into modem mode and set all the nodes up.

I will say their app sucks but after you’ve set it all up thats not much of an issue. All for £70ish. Would recommend!
  25. Avatar
    Author
    psnindo24/05/2020 11:24

I Installed a 4 pack of Tenda nova mw3 in my house last week (only have …I Installed a 4 pack of Tenda nova mw3 in my house last week (only have 100mbps virgin) as my gaming setup is in the recently converted loft where the WIFI barely reached it. I Plugged my playstation directly into the node in the loft with the provided ethernet cable and now I get 60 down and 10 up consistently. Absolutely no issues since then and it took 10 mins to switch the virgin router into modem mode and set all the nodes up. I will say their app sucks but after you’ve set it all up thats not much of an issue. All for £70ish. Would recommend!

Yep for your situation that sounds great and I'm glad it worked for you.

But the WiFi mesh network made my gaming experience worse unfortunately and I wouldn't reccomend them based on my personal experience.
  26. Avatar
    So, because you had a negative experience we should all avoid it despite WiFi is very environmental when it comes to problems?

Write your bad experience on the website and move on with it.
  27. Avatar
    Author
    Ventuxe24/05/2020 11:39

So, because you had a negative experience we should all avoid it despite …So, because you had a negative experience we should all avoid it despite WiFi is very environmental when it comes to problems? Write your bad experience on the website and move on with it.

I mean obviously nobody has to listen to my own personal experience about it, but its nice to hear and share experiences with these things.

You also didn't need to write that comment on here but you still did anyway.
  28. Avatar
    Author
    Bargainhead24/05/2020 11:13

I read your first statement but the first few paragraphs are about speed …I read your first statement but the first few paragraphs are about speed which sets the tone, I understand the mesh caused you more problems,example “My WiFi speeds jumped to 120Mb/s. "Great!" I thought to myself.But I still wasn't happy with those speeds since I pay for 500Mb.“thats is why people comment about speed. Try. Decent homeplugs to your pc if you want full speed assuming your wiring in the house is up to scratch.

I'm happy with 400Mb WiFi speeds, but thank you for the suggestion.
  29. Avatar
    If any consolation op I understand your post...
    You were advising in chronological order what you amended and for what purpose.. Together with the result.
    Some people can only take certain things in so you have to strip it bare so they don't get confused
  30. Avatar
    Author
    deleted1193324/05/2020 15:13

If any consolation op I understand your post...You were advising in …If any consolation op I understand your post...You were advising in chronological order what you amended and for what purpose.. Together with the result. Some people can only take certain things in so you have to strip it bare so they don't get confused

I'm glad I haven't gone crazy! Thanks.
  31. Avatar
    Your post made perfect sense OP and these guys are morons

I had the exact same experience with Tenda Nova and have just unplugged them all. Back to 0 lag. Just poor signal upstairs again.
  32. Avatar
    My tenda work beautifully. If there's a weak link, its nearly always the janky Virgin hub that is the turd in the kettle.
Post a comment
Top Merchants