Avoid Tenda NOVA WiFi Mesh Network If Gaming

Posted 24th May 2020
Hi everyone. Let me explain my story/situation to
you.

I'm with Virgin Media on a 500Mb speed line. The router is located downstairs and my PC is upstairs. I originally used a "TP-Link AC600 Dual-Band Wi-Fi USB Adapter - Archer T2U" to connect to the WiFi, and I was getting around 80Mb/s speeds. I wanted to download games quicker and get the speeds I pay for.

After looking online for a fix (that didn't include a long Ethernet cable) I came across the Tenda NOVA Mw5 wifi mesh network, and decided to buy it and set it up.

My WiFi speeds jumped to 120Mb/s. "Great!" I thought to myself.
But I still wasn't happy with those speeds since I pay for 500Mb.

Now here's the strange part...after I installed this WiFi mesh network I noticed when gaming on my consoles and PC, I was hitting a lot of problems more often... packet loss, prediction errors, sometimes kicking me out of games all the time, weird ping problems etc etc. (and I know some of these are supposed to be 'server sided' but it's weird it only started happening a lot more frequent after I installed this mesh network). This didn't happen before I installed the mesh network, and I know these issues are not speed related but likely device related.

Anyway, after researching more about my own WiFi technology that I use, I noticed that AC600 isn't all that up to date anymore, and although there is 'nothing wrong' with it, you'll need a better one if you're wanting to get such high speeds over wifi. So I invested in a "TP-Link Archer T9UH AC1900 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB".

After plugging this in, my speeds went from 120Mb/s to 250Mb/s. "Amazing!" I thought to myself. But my gaming issues were still happening (of course, since my console's WiFi technology hadn't improved, only my PC side).

So tonight, I decided to unplug my WiFi mesh network and go back to the Virgin Superhub 3.0 with split 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels. And guess what? My speeds on my PC have now gone to 400Mb/s, and I no longer have the weird gaming issues.

So... I'm not entirely sure what has happened. I'm not fully into how it all works, but it seems the wifi mesh network was actually worse for me. I'm sure it's great for households with thick walls that don't do any sort of gaming, though.

All in all, I reccomend the TP-Link Archer T9UH AC1900 massively for anyone that has a fast fibre line and has a device with a USB 3.0 slot available to plug it into. Huuuuge increase in speeds.

Anyone else had any similar experiences?
Community Updates
Misc
Discussions
31 Comments
Post a comment