Avoid Very.co.uk

Found 23rd Sep 2013
I ordered a laptop (Lenovo) from Very.co.uk recently.

It arrived faulty, screen was flickering… No big worry, I’ll return it to the retail for a replacement or refund… Those good old consumer rights come in handy…

Not so simple..

Upon ringing they asked me to ring Lenovo. Slightly puzzled I asked why and insist they simply replace the faulty item, as they’re obliged to do so. They refused until I had a reference code from Lenovo. After a quite heated argument, then an email to Very they again refused.. Despite my contract being with them, not the manufacturer (Sales of Goods Act)

So I ring Lenovo.. What I found out from the agent is they’re actually forcing customers to get the DOA reference from the manufacturer first, allowing Very to credit back for the faulty item..

Essentially, they’re getting customers to do the leg work of contacting Lenovo, scanning and emailing proof of purchase and waiting for the DOA code. So Very don't have to do it themselves when the returned item arrives back.

I think it takes the mick that they're getting the customers to do their job.

Won't be buying electrical goods from them again that's for sure.

They should, like other retailers... Take back the faulty goods and sort out with their supplier the return to manufacturer..

I've spent several thousand pounds with Very over the years, this last order i did was £1300 alone... I won't be spending a penny with that company again.

What frustrates me most is customer agents ignored me, one even hung up. After countless times trying to explain to them my contract of sale is with them, not the manufacturer as per the sales of goods act. Repeatedly i was told i was wrong, despite pointing them towards Which or any other consumer site who points this very clear fact out.

This company seems to take great pleasure in either not training the staff in consumer rights or just point blank denying them.
Community Updates
Misc
32 Comments
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn361/predikuesi123/40515565043d2adf6cf34f70a6e8faa2.jpg
for the record a lot of retailers do this on spite of it being illegal.
Tesco direct did (not sure if they still do)
ebuyer tried to pull the stunt on me too recently but backed down pretty easily when I pushed the issue.
oh...pc world did it with a canon camera about 4 years ago too. to be honest I was relieved about that - canon have really outstanding service.
Banned
Predikuesi

VERY CRAP MORE LIKE
Getting peeved with buying things online altogether, I'm now just paying the extra money and buying instore, at places like John Lewis at least they have a good customer service
Original Poster
Does seem completely out of order that despite the sales of goods act and consumer rules being pretty much as clear as they can be, people like Very seem not to care. Forcing you to do their admin for them in order to return your item.

I did push the issue on the phone and then followed up with an email pointing it out, still replied with a refusal to return / refund the item unless i contacted Lenovo.

onthelook - Think you've got a good point, i've always been impressed with the likes of John Lewis and their customer service.
Edited by: "spritey" 23rd Sep 2013
spritey

Does seem completely out of order that despite the sales of goods act and … Does seem completely out of order that despite the sales of goods act and consumer rules being pretty much as clear as they can be, people like Very seem not to care. Forcing you to do their admin for them in order to return your item.I did push the issue on the phone and then followed up with an email pointing it out, still replied with a refusal to return / refund the item unless i contacted Lenovo.onthelook - Think you've got a good point, i've always been impressed with the likes of John Lewis and their customer service.

Contact trading standards. They're usually quick to respond. I had a response within a few days last time i used them. Once Trading Standards are involved, Very will back down very quickly. Send them you're emails as proof too.
Banned
A PC World manager told me not too long ago that RIM/BlackBerry products supplied through them also require the customer to do it like this, but this is at the request of RIM/BlackBerry and that they're the only company that 'make' PC World do this (or not, which would be more applicable).
Original Poster
biddilybah

Contact trading standards. They're usually quick to respond. I had a … Contact trading standards. They're usually quick to respond. I had a response within a few days last time i used them. Once Trading Standards are involved, Very will back down very quickly. Send them you're emails as proof too.

Cheers matey, have done now.

Reported to Citizens Advice Bureau.

They're passing on the details to Trading Standards.

Quite amusing that they agree with me, it is upto Very to sort out the issue and not me to go contacting the manufacturer Lenovo. They also stating the Sales of Goods Act supports this.

While i already knew this, nice of them to confirm that.. Why Very prefer to ignore it, ive no idea.
Original Poster
Spoke to Very to inform them i had contacted Citizens Advice...

Low and below, now willing to accept a return without a code from Lenovo...

I've decided to wait for the DOA number from Lenovo, as the women is now stating if it arrives not faulty to them they can return it to me and charge me.

Frankly i want no further dealings with them, so despite having an obviously flickering screen i don't want to run any form of risk.

What is also assuming is she stated their terms were still in line with the Sales of Goods Act - yet didn't even know the basic contents of the act when i explained to her why it wasn't...

This brings me back to the time when they had mis-priced keyboards - then tried to cancel everyone's order saying their terms state the order is only valid at point of dispatch.. Yet had billed / deducted money from everyone's account, so had formed the contract of sale and were forced to honor it.
Tesco did this to me with a hoover a few months back. Told me to ring Vax... Vax told me they were unsure why I was having to call them, as I'd only had the hoover 3 days. Sometimes easier to just do it yourself though. The phonecalls I mean, not the hoovering. That's the wife's job.
spritey

Cheers matey, have done now.Reported to Citizens Advice Bureau.They're … Cheers matey, have done now.Reported to Citizens Advice Bureau.They're passing on the details to Trading Standards.Quite amusing that they agree with me, it is upto Very to sort out the issue and not me to go contacting the manufacturer Lenovo. They also stating the Sales of Goods Act supports this.While i already knew this, nice of them to confirm that.. Why Very prefer to ignore it, ive no idea.

Nobody likes a tell tale.
Good on you mate you pushed it all the way.

Its awfully bad that you had to
go through all that nonsense.
Banned

yeah jo

onthelook

Getting peeved with buying things online altogether, I'm now just paying … Getting peeved with buying things online altogether, I'm now just paying the extra money and buying instore, at places like John Lewis at least they have a good customer service

yep, can vouch for john lewis ,had a three year old sony bravia die on me ,they replaced it with a newer model and even offered me a replacement tv while i waited and then told me my new five year warranty starts from the date i recieved the new tv ...... john lewis are the mutts.
Shop Direct

Alex Baldock Chief Executive

Email alex.baldock@shopdirect.com

I would start at the top! Demand some action
Banned
bunny_boiler

Shop DirectAlex Baldock Chief ExecutiveEmail alex.baldock@shopdirect.comI … Shop DirectAlex Baldock Chief ExecutiveEmail alex.baldock@shopdirect.comI would start at the top! Demand some action

YAWN
butlers1982

YAWN

Bit tired?
It's worked for me on numerous occasions with other companies! I received a free fisher price baby/toddler chair, a trolley insert activity thing for a baby, gift vouchers and my complaint dealt with swiftly!
hmm was thinking of buying a 850 quid tv from very next month this worries me .

u only find out how good a company's when something goes wrong

thx for heads up
butlers1982

YAWN

Mr Baldock? Is that you?
Banned
ashmac

hmm was thinking of buying a 850 quid tv from very next month this … hmm was thinking of buying a 850 quid tv from very next month this worries me .u only find out how good a company's when something goes wrongthx for heads up

dont touch them with a barge pole
At the end of the day, Very is a retail catalogue which makes money by charging massive interest rates on already inflated prices, not as bad as Littlewoods, but they are the same company. The people who work there will be told to refuse refunds at all costs, and they only arrange returns as a last resort, if the customer knows his/her stuff. Happened to me a long time ago, I bought a washing machine from them, didn't like it, I actually managed to get them to collect it under the distance selling act, even though they completely refused beforehand, just gotta know whos boss.
spritey

Does seem completely out of order that despite the sales of goods act and … Does seem completely out of order that despite the sales of goods act and consumer rules being pretty much as clear as they can be, people like Very seem not to care. Forcing you to do their admin for them in order to return your item.I did push the issue on the phone and then followed up with an email pointing it out, still replied with a refusal to return / refund the item unless i contacted Lenovo.onthelook - Think you've got a good point, i've always been impressed with the likes of John Lewis and their customer service.

you really should have played harder ball than that. In the first instance its not your duty to do their dog work for them. You report, they rma it. In fact you should ahve jsut sent it back within the first 7 days as an unwanted item for a full refund as per the Distance selling regulations...

had it been me - the moment they sent the email saying they would not refund unless i did their work for them - i would have given them 24 hrs notice that i would do a chargeback on the credit card i used to pay and that you will ake the item available for pickup.

Bad customer service = loss of sales in my book.

There is no such thing as company loyalty either... **** stick a big two fingers up at them and tell em where to go!
bunny_boiler

Shop DirectAlex Baldock Chief … Shop DirectAlex Baldock Chief Executive   Email alex.baldock@shopdirect.comI would start at the top! Demand some action

Contacted this exec and a few others I found on the net and complained about getting a refund and their appalling customer service. I got a response the next day from customer service and my refund.

It does work.
wee_paul

Contacted this exec and a few others I found on the net and complained … Contacted this exec and a few others I found on the net and complained about getting a refund and their appalling customer service. I got a response the next day from customer service and my refund.It does work.

When I contact ceo's I always also state I belong to a large online consumer forum, that helps too ;-)
bunny_boiler

Bit tired?It's worked for me on numerous occasions with other companies! … Bit tired?It's worked for me on numerous occasions with other companies! I received a free fisher price baby/toddler chair, a trolley insert activity thing for a baby, gift vouchers and my complaint dealt with swiftly!

you obviously complain too much, perhaps the problem is you and not the item
Banned
rick77

A PC World manager told me not too long ago that RIM/BlackBerry products … A PC World manager told me not too long ago that RIM/BlackBerry products supplied through them also require the customer to do it like this, but this is at the request of RIM/BlackBerry and that they're the only company that 'make' PC World do this (or not, which would be more applicable).

Your right, RIM do like the customer to phone them. I telephoned PC world when my playbook fried and they were very helpful. RIM were too. They sent a courier around the same day to pick up the playbook. They then sent me a brand new playbook a week later!
Banned
rick77

A PC World manager told me not too long ago that RIM/BlackBerry products … A PC World manager told me not too long ago that RIM/BlackBerry products supplied through them also require the customer to do it like this, but this is at the request of RIM/BlackBerry and that they're the only company that 'make' PC World do this (or not, which would be more applicable).

tis true

currys made me sort out two playbook returns myself

mind you. bb support was amazing. playbooks picked up, taken to holland, tested, replaced and returned within 3 days.

currys would have taken much longer ime
Banned
2 things....

1st go to trading standards,

2nd why by out of substandard over priced catalogue.

I can never understand why people use these the same as the shop brighthouse the stuff is over priced to begin with and the interest they charge is stupid
Banned
sumo999

2 things.... 1st go to trading standards, 2nd why by out of substandard … 2 things.... 1st go to trading standards, 2nd why by out of substandard over priced catalogue.I can never understand why people use these the same as the shop brighthouse the stuff is over priced to begin with and the interest they charge is stupid

They have had some good deals on adidas trainers in the past.
Banned
andy8

They have had some good deals on adidas trainers in the past.

i'll keep my eye out for them
Banned
I'm more concerned with the op saying they have spent thousands with them over the years

why?

their prices are extortionate!
Out of curiosity, what Lenovo laptop was it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants