Avoiding a hosepipe ban

Found 1st Jul
Received this email today from United Utilities:

The hot weather means we're seeing a massive increase in water consumption across our area. Yesterday an additional half a billion litres was used and it has been the same today. We urgently need your help and support to avoid a hosepipe ban. You can help us by turning off your garden sprinklers, not using your hosepipes and taking shorter showers and not baths this weekend. The demand is so high, particularly during peak times, that we are struggling to get enough water around the system quick enough. If we can all do our bit this will reduce the risk of lower water pressure or no water at all.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
wayners11 m ago

To many people in to small of area. Moving water about is not easy as it's …To many people in to small of area. Moving water about is not easy as it's heavy. I've got no answer to the problem as just can't pump it to where its needed.

Seems you may be part of the problem..
hotukdeals.com/dis…233
Problems moving water but no problems moving huge sums of cash to Directors and Shareholders. These firms, along with the power utilities and rail franchises, should never ever have been allowed to squander our money on CEO vanity projects.
50 Comments
Hope you'll start thinking about your long baths and other people's needs now, I didn't get an email like that.
The best way to avoid a (future) hosepipe ban, would be to introduce a maximum 2 child limit per family.
Fewer people equals less demand.

But feel free to ignore the advice and just use watering cans instead.
The wettest part in England, how do we end up with the "wrong" sort of the best CEO to channel the "wrong" type of water in the wettest region.

For best problem solving solution experts, the universities churn out ~800,000 students a year now. Surely there must be a long queue of technical experts competent if if I assume 1 able person per 1,000 of the undergrad and postgrad since 1960.
A cull that’s what we need, too many people on the planet and this is causing serious distress to hosepipe users nationwide
To many people in to small of area. Moving water about is not easy as it's heavy. I've got no answer to the problem as just can't pump it to where its needed.
Edited by: "wayners" 1st Jul
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell30 m ago

The best way to avoid a (future) hosepipe ban, would be to introduce a …The best way to avoid a (future) hosepipe ban, would be to introduce a maximum 2 child limit per family.Fewer people equals less demand.But feel free to ignore the advice and just use watering cans instead.

What's scary is I can't tell if you're joking, I've seen people online who would say something like that
Edited by: "Norseg" 1st Jul
wayners11 m ago

To many people in to small of area. Moving water about is not easy as it's …To many people in to small of area. Moving water about is not easy as it's heavy. I've got no answer to the problem as just can't pump it to where its needed.

Seems you may be part of the problem..
hotukdeals.com/dis…233
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 h, 5 m ago

The best way to avoid a (future) hosepipe ban, would be to introduce a …The best way to avoid a (future) hosepipe ban, would be to introduce a maximum 2 child limit per family.Fewer people equals less demand.But feel free to ignore the advice and just use watering cans instead.

watering cans definitely have a higher capacity than children for watering the garden
Problems moving water but no problems moving huge sums of cash to Directors and Shareholders. These firms, along with the power utilities and rail franchises, should never ever have been allowed to squander our money on CEO vanity projects.
There’s no shortage of water in this country, especially in the north - it’s the profit first infrastructure later nature of all the utility companies as ccnp suggests that’s crippling this country. Look at BT and British gas for example, both laying off thousands just so they can make a bigger profit for their shareholders, just one example.
ccnp40 m ago

Problems moving water but no problems moving huge sums of cash to …Problems moving water but no problems moving huge sums of cash to Directors and Shareholders. These firms, along with the power utilities and rail franchises, should never ever have been allowed to squander our money on CEO vanity projects.

Water companies ?
Scrap em.

wayners1 h, 26 m ago

Surely we could have some sort of national 'grid' moving water water from high to low ground at least ?

It is just a case of being aware and doing your bit

No your car doesn't need to be spotless

Yes grey water is fine for your garden
Been doing mine with it for weeks now
freakstyler40 m ago

There’s no shortage of water in this country, especially in the north - i …There’s no shortage of water in this country, especially in the north - it’s the profit first infrastructure later nature of all the utility companies as ccnp suggests that’s crippling this country. Look at BT and British gas for example, both laying off thousands just so they can make a bigger profit for their shareholders, just one example.

Realistically there is not really a viable solution to a lack of rain for two weeks during peak demand in the system, the leakage rate is pretty much constant. What does everybody think the solution is renationalisation
Dannyrobbo24 m ago

Realistically there is not really a viable solution to a lack of rain for …Realistically there is not really a viable solution to a lack of rain for two weeks during peak demand in the system, the leakage rate is pretty much constant. What does everybody think the solution is renationalisation

Leakage is where the regulator should have forced revenue money to be spent before dividends and bonuses. But we have regulators who are too soft to make it happen.

We don't need public ownership. That way lies disaster. We need tough regulatory control.
Edited by: "ccnp" 1st Jul
Wongy1101 h, 26 m ago

Water companies ?Scrap em.Surely we could have some sort of national …Water companies ?Scrap em.Surely we could have some sort of national 'grid' moving water water from high to low ground at least ?It is just a case of being aware and doing your bitNo your car doesn't need to be spotlessYes grey water is fine for your gardenBeen doing mine with it for weeks now

Apparently not. The energy needed to move water is massive so they use gravity as much as possible. Some pumps are used but the weight of water is incredible. Was on country file or similar program a few years back. Moving water about is a real problem
Edited by: "wayners" 1st Jul
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 54 m ago

Seems you may be part of the …Seems you may be part of the problem..https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/how-is-your-lawn-doing-in-this-hot-weather-2969233#comment-34161909

wayners3 h, 5 m ago

He is without doubt the biggest one here, a real mega user.
First post here hotukdeals.com/dea…194
I also vote cull
ccnp1 h, 14 m ago

Leakage is where the regulator should have forced revenue money to be …Leakage is where the regulator should have forced revenue money to be spent before dividends and bonuses. But we have regulators who are too soft to make it happen.We don't need public ownership. That way lies disaster. We need tough regulatory control.

It’s in the interests of a water company to repair their leaks, bills are not going to down if the leaks are repaired so if it’s economical to fix it would make no sense for a water company not to repair. It’s not up to regulators to withhold CEO bonuses it’s for the relivent stakeholders for the business to force this, regulators can onlyhand out fines.

oh I know all too well we don’t need public ownership but I feel a few in this thread would not agree.
miles1361 h, 31 m ago

I also vote cull

I'm guessing here

When you say cull do you mean a millennial cull rather than a Logan's Run type cull?

I mean the benefit to society as a whole must ensure that the educated and wise survive whilst those less advanced be removed - just imagine planet Earth with nobody over 30... it'd be THE END IS TOMORROW rather than the usual THE END IS NIGH

If it went to a referendum and they lost they'd probably want to re-run it until they won so we are doomed anyway.
philphil6118 m ago

I'm guessing hereWhen you say cull do you mean a millennial cull rather …I'm guessing hereWhen you say cull do you mean a millennial cull rather than a Logan's Run type cull?I mean the benefit to society as a whole must ensure that the educated and wise survive whilst those less advanced be removed - just imagine planet Earth with nobody over 30... it'd be THE END IS TOMORROW rather than the usual THE END IS NIGHIf it went to a referendum and they lost they'd probably want to re-run it until they won so we are doomed anyway.

If it's Logan's run you and me are doomed
miles1362 h, 56 m ago

I also vote cull

Me too but only if I alone get to decide who stays and who goes.
Like this comment if you want to be spared.
wayners4 h, 18 m ago

Apparently not. The energy needed to move water is massive so they use …Apparently not. The energy needed to move water is massive so they use gravity as much as possible. Some pumps are used but the weight of water is incredible. Was on country file or similar program a few years back. Moving water about is a real problem

I bow to your expertise on this

however we built a huge network of waterways two and a half centuries ago
just saying

how hard can it be ?
Edited by: "Wongy110" 1st Jul
philphil612 h, 17 m ago

I'm guessing hereWhen you say cull do you mean a millennial cull rather …I'm guessing hereWhen you say cull do you mean a millennial cull rather than a Logan's Run type cull?I mean the benefit to society as a whole must ensure that the educated and wise survive whilst those less advanced be removed - just imagine planet Earth with nobody over 30... it'd be THE END IS TOMORROW rather than the usual THE END IS NIGHIf it went to a referendum and they lost they'd probably want to re-run it until they won so we are doomed anyway.

psychobitchfromhell1 h, 58 m ago

If it's Logan's run you and me are doomed

I vote Logan's run

As long as I get to be Peter Ustinov.
Remember this?
yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/new…006
I remember driving to work behind these tankers. You can move water. Also, as wongy said, we have a very efficient water moving network already in existence
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 1st Jul
psychobitchfromhell35 m ago

Remember this? …Remember this? https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/remember-1995-1-2101006I remember driving to work behind these tankers. You can move water. Also, as wongy said, we have a very efficient water moving network already in existence

Don’t remember this but remember 76 just, stand pipes were used and water was rationed, they showed it in the news the other day. what a decade that was no water, power cuts, can’t talk about the politics imagine power cuts and no water now and the young ones would be able to cope.

Luckily we live in an area with quite a bit of water but this is the hardship our water company is making us do

As water use increases, the organisation has released some top tips for saving waterThese are:

• Water plants in the evening to retain moisture in the soil.

• Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth and save 6 litres of water each time.

• Shower rather than bath and save 10 litres every time.

• Take shorter showers (aim for four minutes per day) - this can save up to 17 litres per day

• Use full loads in your dishwasher and washing machine.

• Use a bucket rather than a hose to wash the car.

• Use a bowl when hand washing dishes saves 7 litres every time

• Report any leaks you spot so that we can fix them quickly - ring the leak line on 0800 393 084.

• Replace washers on dripping taps - they can waste up to 26 litres of water in 24 hours - that’s enough for a shower.

• Get a water butt to collect rainwater. This gives you a free supply of water to use in the garden during warmer period. But our neighbour water buts are dry so even them are having to use it out of the tap.
Edited by: "eslick" 1st Jul
Wongy1101 h, 2 m ago

I bow to your expertise on thishowever we built a huge network of …I bow to your expertise on thishowever we built a huge network of waterways two and a half centuries agojust sayinghow hard can it be ?

Water flows down hill so how would you get it to go the other way? Yes you can build river and canal to move water down hill but the many millions of gallons may need to go the other way. That's the problem. As soon as the ground rises your stuffed without a pump.
wayners18 m ago

Water flows down hill so how would you get it to go the other way? Yes you …Water flows down hill so how would you get it to go the other way? Yes you can build river and canal to move water down hill but the many millions of gallons may need to go the other way. That's the problem. As soon as the ground rises your stuffed without a pump.

When did I say you could ?

Nothing is possible with small minded thinking yes ?
Wongy1109 m ago

When did I say you could ?Nothing is possible with small minded thinking …When did I say you could ?Nothing is possible with small minded thinking yes ?

Yeah. They will have to come up with something. What happened to towing a ice burg to Africa
Felicitous8 h, 7 m ago

watering cans definitely have a higher capacity than children for watering …watering cans definitely have a higher capacity than children for watering the garden

You wouldn't think that the first time you pick one up after a bath and it pees all over you.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 22 m ago

Remember this? …Remember this? https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/remember-1995-1-2101006I remember driving to work behind these tankers. You can move water. Also, as wongy said, we have a very efficient water moving network already in existence

We've survived hosepipe bans and water shortages before - it's nothing new. We knuckled down and got on with it. I think we call it Britishness a way that's sadly lacking with the newer generations/era.

As for the canals, that were built 100's of years ago to move goods around the country pre railway, most are either full of stolen bicycles, plastic bottles, shopping trolleys etc or weed that has choked the canals dry or starved them of oxygen to create death camps for fish and other wildlife.

Yes there's a few hundred miles of good navigable canals here n there but I doubt it could be used tomorrow without £billions of investment which would mean less money for the big bosses and shareholders
wayners5 m ago

Yeah. They will have to come up with something. What happened to towing a …Yeah. They will have to come up with something. What happened to towing a ice burg to Africa

Not sure don't think it ever happened

What I am thinking is a couple of giant waterslides Ben Nevis to Dover and Snowdon to Exeter
philphil614 m ago

We've survived hosepipe bans and water shortages before - it's nothing …We've survived hosepipe bans and water shortages before - it's nothing new. We knuckled down and got on with it. I think we call it Britishness a way that's sadly lacking with the newer generations/era.As for the canals, that were built 100's of years ago to move goods around the country pre railway, most are either full of stolen bicycles, plastic bottles, shopping trolleys etc or weed that has choked the canals dry or starved them of oxygen to create death camps for fish and other wildlife.Yes there's a few hundred miles of good navigable canals here n there but I doubt it could be used tomorrow without £billions of investment which would mean less money for the big bosses and shareholders

Doesn't mean it couldn't happen mate just look at cape town

And see above
So if i use less water will they reduce my bill? I pay United Utilities £53 a month and it has increased year after year. No way ill be taking their advice!
themachman4 m ago

So if i use less water will they reduce my bill? I pay United Utilities …So if i use less water will they reduce my bill? I pay United Utilities £53 a month and it has increased year after year. No way ill be taking their advice!

I only pay £26. If you are metered then you are using way too much water. If not, get a meter
Wongy11015 m ago

Not sure don't think it ever happenedWhat I am thinking is a couple of …Not sure don't think it ever happenedWhat I am thinking is a couple of giant waterslides Ben Nevis to Dover and Snowdon to Exeter

I'll have a go on them!
psychobitchfromhell13 m ago

I'll have a go on them!

that is what I am thinking practical ish and fun.

Find me an engineer and billions of your pounds
themachman26 m ago

So if i use less water will they reduce my bill? I pay United Utilities …So if i use less water will they reduce my bill? I pay United Utilities £53 a month and it has increased year after year. No way ill be taking their advice!

What pbh said only pay about 10 here
Wongy11018 m ago

that is what I am thinking practical ish and fun.Find me an engineer and …that is what I am thinking practical ish and fun.Find me an engineer and billions of your pounds

I'll chip in a couple of quid if I can have a free to when it's finished
psychobitchfromhell10 m ago

I'll chip in a couple of quid if I can have a free to when it's finished

It will all be included in the price of your water rates*

*bills may vary
Just sack the entire management and put in Chinese management, you will have so much water in the wettest part of England, it becomes the Chinese water torture at Chinese takeaway prices.

Bonus, free water chestnuts in your water.
Edited by: "splender" 1st Jul
Wongy11014 m ago

It will all be included in the price of your water rates**bills may vary

You see you could use that as an incentive to save water. The lower your usage, the more free rides you get. Win win scenario.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants