Avoiding being scammed on eBay

Found 2nd Nov 2017
Hi all, I'm looking for some opinions on what I should do to avoid being scammed with the iPhone I bought this morning...

So what happened was I bought an iPhone on eBay and right after I bought it eBay shows me their "other items for sale"...
I had a look and saw about 10 iPhones for sale, nothing else and the pictures were all taken in different locations, looks as if they've just googled for used iPhone pictures...

So I messaged them saying I want to cancel the order saying I ordered the wrong one, attempting to get my money back and I got no reply, of course. Then a few hours later it was sent by Hermes

I guess I'm going to end up with a brick in a box

Anyway... What would you advise me to do?
Should I refuse the parcel when it comes so it gets sent back and will show on the tracking number?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Link?
Looks ok. Already has feedback for 2 iPhones.
Top tip, never buy expensive used phones on these sites. Use a retailer always.

Since you have, wait till you examine the item before you panic at least. Do the prices seem cheap for what it is?
MR11233 m ago

Top tip, never buy expensive used phones on these sites. Use a retailer …Top tip, never buy expensive used phones on these sites. Use a retailer always. Since you have, wait till you examine the item before you panic at least. Do the prices seem cheap for what it is?

Yeah the price was reasonable, it's why I went for it. I should of known better

Since they decided to ignore my messages I'll just refuse delivery without opening it so they can't accuse me of anything and I'll buy one from elsewhere
Will you not be covered by PayPal
RandomUsername1 h, 12 m ago

Yeah the price was reasonable, it's why I went for it. I should of known …Yeah the price was reasonable, it's why I went for it. I should of known betterSince they decided to ignore my messages I'll just refuse delivery without opening it so they can't accuse me of anything and I'll buy one from elsewhere

The seller was better off cancelling it if you requested it. I've cancelled an item off ebay and seller cancelled it as they would rather do that then me returning the item . I would refuse the parcel as well since you requested the cancellation or you will be charged to send it back.
ceres27 m ago

Doesn't look like a scammer to me. Has a number of iPhones for sale, has …Doesn't look like a scammer to me. Has a number of iPhones for sale, has already sold a few with good feedback. Why would you refuse the parcel? That just messes the seller around which is a rubbish thing to do with absolutely no evidence that he's done anything wrong.

Well said
Edited by: "ipswich78" 2nd Nov 2017
It might have been sent by Hermes before it was marked as sent. I often will post things off but not mark it as sent until later or even the next day if I've been busy
Doesnt look like a scammer to me. Sold a few iphones - he has 96 positive feedback all 100%
If you get a brick just open a case for item not as described.
I don't see the issue with this. You are protected by eBay and PayPal.
Op you don't need to worry.

You are protected by eBay and Paypal.

If the item arrives and isn't as described you have 30 days to raise a case with eBay - you will get a prepaid label to return the item and get a full refund. Alternatively you can raise a case with Paypal who give 180 days to claim. They don't pay the return but there is a scheme to get £15 help to return an item (google Paypal returns on us).

So there is no need to panic. I can't see the listing so cannot say if it looks dodgy or not.

Come back here for more help BEFORE you do anything.
windym29 m ago

Op you don't need to worry.You are protected by eBay and Paypal.If the …Op you don't need to worry.You are protected by eBay and Paypal.If the item arrives and isn't as described you have 30 days to raise a case with eBay - you will get a prepaid label to return the item and get a full refund. Alternatively you can raise a case with Paypal who give 180 days to claim. They don't pay the return but there is a scheme to get £15 help to return an item (google Paypal returns on us).So there is no need to panic. I can't see the listing so cannot say if it looks dodgy or not.Come back here for more help BEFORE you do anything.

As if Paypal and Ebay are a reassurance. I'd refuse the parcel myself. How do you know the phone wouldn't be reported stolen? In which case it takes weeks for the phone to be blocked.
I would make a video of yourself opening the parcel, this can then be sent to ebay/paypal if needed. Just make sure you record absolutely everything in the video including sellers details.
cossy353 m ago

As if Paypal and Ebay are a reassurance. I'd refuse the parcel myself. How …As if Paypal and Ebay are a reassurance. I'd refuse the parcel myself. How do you know the phone wouldn't be reported stolen? In which case it takes weeks for the phone to be blocked.

Paypal and eBay are not only a reassurance but they are protection. 180 days in the case of Paypal. That's six months, so enough time for the phone to be reported stolen I would hope.

I wouldn't buy a phone from eBay though, purely because I like the back-up of a bricks and mortar store for such purchases.
cossy353 m ago

As if Paypal and Ebay are a reassurance. I'd refuse the parcel myself. How …As if Paypal and Ebay are a reassurance. I'd refuse the parcel myself. How do you know the phone wouldn't be reported stolen? In which case it takes weeks for the phone to be blocked.

Then no one would buy used phones on eBay if that was a certainty.
What if it stops working the day after then... What ifs.
I sold several phones and never scammed anyone and bought a couple of used ones myself again with no issue and so does the majority of people.

If it gets reported as stolen by the seller as a scam then the buyer has a name and proof that they purchased it legally.
Contact the network with a crime number (as it's a fraud), and they should help unblock it.
hearts222 m ago

f it gets reported as stolen by the seller as a scam then the buyer has a …f it gets reported as stolen by the seller as a scam then the buyer has a name and proof that they purchased it legally. Contact the network with a crime number (as it's a fraud), and they should help unblock it.

Ha, good luck with that, I can only assume you've never been in that situation. Everything is good until it happens to you and by buying on eBay, it will happen to you sooner or later.
windym5 m ago

Paypal and eBay are not only a reassurance but they are protection. 180 …Paypal and eBay are not only a reassurance but they are protection. 180 days in the case of Paypal. That's six months, so enough time for the phone to be reported stolen I would hope.I wouldn't buy a phone from eBay though, purely because I like the back-up of a bricks and mortar store for such purchases.

When their protection is inconsistent and flawed, those words are empty.
cossy324 m ago

Ha, good luck with that, I can only assume you've never been in that …Ha, good luck with that, I can only assume you've never been in that situation. Everything is good until it happens to you and by buying on eBay, it will happen to you sooner or later.

I just outlined the rational and sensible course of action I would take in that unfortunate case.

Of course there are risks...but the majority of times people don't have problems and transactions go smoothly.
Assuming blindly that if you buy a phone on eBay then it will be blacklisted is stupid.
It's basically assuming every private phone seller on there is a scammer.
This seller has been accused of being a scammer without any evidence in the feedbacks whatsoever, which are positive instead.
The issue wasn't the blacklisting anyway but whether OP will receive a phone or something else.
In that case they should just open a SNAD. Aren't you all convinced, in general, anyway that eBay always sides with the buyer? Then no worries if it turns out to be a brick. Ebay will refund and you won't even have to pay for any return if you win the case.
BTW the locations in the pics don't even seem to be ALL different... OP, I think you're being a little paranoid maybe.
The wooden-looking table appears twice and so does the greyish cloth (looks like a sheet or something like that with a floral pattern).

Prices look fairly normal to me as well. Nothing too good to be true.
Edited by: "hearts22" 3rd Nov 2017
cossy32 h, 0 m ago

When their protection is inconsistent and flawed, those words are empty.

Their protection is fully explained and clear. The OP is covered if the item doesn't arrive. They are also covered if it arrives and isn't as described.

As I said, with Paypal that protection extends to 180 days from purchase.
I have bought an iphone off fleabay once. Sorted phones by Nearest to me, went round saw it working and paid cash. There are so many for sale you don't have to wait long before a local sale is available.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants