Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)

Found 18th Aug 2017
Does anyone have any experience booking a car in Tenerife?

I am looking some some advice before proceeding with a rental. Doing a general search and spotted a few suitable cars with big name companies.

Most of these include quite a high excess, over €1000 in most cases, and this is held against your credit card. With almost no way to avoid things like stone chips or people hitting the car in parking bays etc, these companies can basically charge you for minor damages and you have no real way of refusing to pay.

I've only ever booked with Avis in the USA and this was included with my flight booking and there was a collision damage waiver included with no excess. They don't bother inspecting the car on return as you're not liable for any damages.

When booking, is there an option to lower the excess in most cases? Down to €zero preferably.

Any info would help, thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Try holidayautos holiday autos
There is also 8% topcashback

If you add the damage insurance you don't pay the excess
Hope this helps
Edited by: "englands28" 18th Aug 2017
I got my own and had confirmation off car hire provider this was ok in writing to show upon arrival -moneysavingexpert.com/tra…ire
Just to add, if you buy excess insurance from a car hire broker such as holiday autos or car hire excess insurance website you still need your credit card to give to the hire company. Should you be unfortunate and any damage is done to the vehicle it will be taken out your credit card and you claim that back from the above.
Original Poster
That's what I'm worried about. Don't want the hassle of claiming and it possibly being rejected Thanks for the advice though folks, I'll have a look.
I've used carhireexcess.com this year and for the first time ever, damaged the bumper and wing. SIXT took the amount for damage off the credit card and I claimed it back from carhireexcess.com I was refunded quickly and without hassle. Excess insurance was about £16 total for 10 days rental.

Unless you pay the car hire company direct (usually costly) to waiver your excess, this is how it works.
Original Poster
Anyone had any experience with a company called CICAR? Car hire company specific to the Canaries. Seems to have a lot of decent reviews, fully insured with no excess and free car seat for the baby
Almost all car hire companies should have an option for no excess policies.. They should have an add on they try to sell at the end that'll be something like £30 a day. If you get it direct with the hire company you won't need to pay it or give a hold on the credit card and then claim it back, but it is much more expensive than getting your own excess insurance..

i.e. i've just been to iceland, the hire company offered £0 excess for £25 a day. I instead bought excess insurance from admiral for £50 in total but that meant the car hire company put a hold for £1500.
ScubaDudes30 m ago

I've used carhireexcess.com this year and for the first time ever, damaged …I've used carhireexcess.com this year and for the first time ever, damaged the bumper and wing. SIXT took the amount for damage off the credit card and I claimed it back from carhireexcess.com I was refunded quickly and without hassle. Excess insurance was about £16 total for 10 days rental. Unless you pay the car hire company direct (usually costly) to waiver your excess, this is how it works.

Was this for car hire in the UK or abroad?

TIA
I always use autoreisen.com in the canaries. Zero excesses and good quality cars and very cheap. Just paid £65 for a week in lanzarote! Tenerife is £49 for a week in september

Items included in the reservation price of your vehicle: The final price of the reservation of the vehicle includes the following items:

1. Taxes (IGIC/IVA included).
2. Unlimited mileage.
3. Second driver free of charge.
4. Service in our office at the airport.
5. Cancellation of the free reservation.
6. Seats for babies and booster cushions for children free of charge. (CHILD SEATS)
7. The following insurances (without excess):
o Collision Damage Waiver (CDW).
o Theft Protection (TP).
o Personal Accident Insurance (PAI).
o Damage to third parties.
Edited by: "chocci" 18th Aug 2017
Try these guys - you buy in advance and it covers you for much less than hire companies. I got 8 days cover for £14.
I'm of the impression now (as mentioned above by @winifer ) that you can take out insurance with your own can insurer and use that when abroad. That should help reduce the costs for you.
In Tenerife I always use AutoReisen and book direct with them. They are not the cheapest but include all inclusive cover and don't muck you about like some of the other companies (avoid GoldCar at all costs). You also return the car with the same fuel as you took it. You can also take out excess cover if you are really worried.

Just seen as mentioned above as well.
Edited by: "paul123edwards" 18th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions