Awful aftersales help from IKEA - anyone else suffered at the hands of their 'Customer Service'?

Found 26th Jan 2009
Bought a whole load of furniture from them recently (a whole house full in fact). Great design, reasonable quality, reasonable prices, as usual. No problems there (except that their internet ordering system is so rubbish that you have to visit the store anyway because a lot of the stuff - even furniture - isn't available online).

But when one of the items is faulty it's ****** unreasonable to expect customers to dissassemble it and take it back to the store (a couple of hours drive) for a replacement, rather than just sending a replacement for the part which was delivered damaged.

Can't shift them. Rules are rules, after all. Let the customer go hang - why should they bother?

I know there are legal remedies we can use, but for goodness sake, don't these so-called 'customer service' people have any commonsense? You spend several thousand with them, and they don't give a damn.

Anyone else had this sort of attitude from them?

10 Comments

its like any other company - magnet etc - be worth your while writing a letter to head office (neasdon branch) - requesting a compensatory apology - (£200 worth) for your inconvenience

one thing i will say when you do go to store customer service are usually pretty good (try asking one of the guys in bargain corner as they have all spare bits there

good luck

holly100;4192761

its like any other company - magnet etc - be worth your while writing a … its like any other company - magnet etc - be worth your while writing a letter to head office (neasdon branch) - requesting a compensatory apology - (£200 worth) for your inconvenienceone thing i will say when you do go to store customer service are usually pretty good (try asking one of the guys in bargain corner as they have all spare bits theregood luck

same thing here-we needed one piece and didnt want to disassemble and leave in bits while returning-as it was a big job-would have been good to just get the part and replace all in one..

we bought a wardrobe that had the hinges missing from the box, we managed to get the hinges by hubby going instore with the instructions (he didn't even have the receipt with him)

cheerleader;4192892

we bought a wardrobe that had the hinges missing from the box, we managed … we bought a wardrobe that had the hinges missing from the box, we managed to get the hinges by hubby going instore with the instructions (he didn't even have the receipt with him)

oh small items are no problem-try getting a piece of flatpack? it was the side of an entertainment centre-anyway we still havent got it replaced as its just too much hassle...

we picked up a shelf unit that had been put in the wrong place, expecting it to be white... it was beech, took it back and customer services said tough... no refund or replacement as no receipt and as the box was open they would have taken 30 % off! i threw a wobbly and demanded a supervisor who came over and said just give her a refund!!! so the moral of the story... have a hissy fit and get ur own way!! especially as they were really really busy!

Sloth/Mod

IKEA = The all new spanking MFI for this generation :-D

Well to be honest. I am shock by your experiances. Because i bought some furniture last year. When i opened the box i realised 2 parts were missing so i phoned the store (about 15 miles away) to enquire what to do, they asked for receipt number and item and then sent out the replacement parts and extras just in case. They sent it the next day, sadly they wrote the wrong address down but the courier company did manage to deliver it after a few days. Excellent service i recieved. Also i have bought things and changed my mind and took them back without the receipt and got it put on a giftcard, no problems. To be fair, i have never had a bad experience with either of the 2 stores i visit which is thurrock lakeside and edmonton.

We had a problem a few years ago when we bought a kitchen from them but the made to measure worktop was bashed, it took some sorting out as they wanted us to take it back to the store but bearing in mind that a) the worktop was VERY big and VERY heavy and b) the store is over an hour away from us we refused. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing though we got it sorted and they ended up just ordering us a replacement top and told us to keep the original so as said above, don't take first response as the end, keep fighting your corner and they'll probably back down, keep polite though as the minute you loose your temper you've had it!!

Original Poster

Thanks, all. They've changed their minds now and decided to deliver a replacement, probably after seeing how much we spent with them.

The store sorted it, but the 'central' customer service people were useless, difficult and totally unhelpful.

As somebody above said, if they don't get their act together and remember who pays their wages, this could well be the next MFI.

I bought a wardrobe and chest of drawers from them last year.

When I got home, I realised I'd picked up the clothes rail for a 0.8m wide wardrobe rather than a 1m wide one.

Phoned them up, and they sent one by courier, and it arrived the next day. No need to send the other one back, no postage cost.

Personally, I can't fault them.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without saying how old you are, Name one thing from your childhood someone …1829
    2. How to send Items back to deal extreme?76
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771808
    4. Battered women won't be chased for TV licence fees: Vulnerable victims at r…88

See more discussions