Awful fixed line broadband, What about 4G?

Found 29th May
Hi guys,

Im moving into a new build house that doesnt have Fibre and is a max of 4MB.

I dont do illegal p2p downloads i just basically download the odd patch from Steam and PSN and the odd PC game. Stream Netflix 4k and Youtube, id imagine my usage per month must easily be in the 250GB+ range.

I realllllly despise have to pay for a landline for only 4mb, would not have an issue if it was Fibre,

I was thinking about buying a 4g Router and sticking in a 4G sim card, however none of the 4g operators give enough data, 100Gb is the most and i would blow through it, So i thought about maybe getting one of the All you can eat data mobile sims with Three.

So i talked to them online and the representative basically tells me the only reason they cant offer unlimited on the "home broadband" sims is due to Ofcom telling them unlimited cant be offered, and he basically hints (without directly saying yes) that chucking that mobile sim in a 4g Router will be fine.

Does anyone do this? the more i read up some people say you are better buying a cheap phone connecting that to a normal Router and using PDAnet app as Three cant detect it as some people have reported Three blocking the sim?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
If be interested in this too. What /where is PDAnet please?
Buddy has a 3 PAYG handset SIM in an unlocked EE Osprey mifi and has no issues paying £35 / month for genuinely unlimited 4G via the £35 AIO add-on. Don't expect any assistance from 3 cos such use is not supported in its t&c but does physically function. You can also achieve similar via an old pre-Marshmallow Android handset tethering via the FoxFi app and FoxFi key or PDAnet. In all instances, do not use the 3 SIM in a 3-branded device.
Builders should be held accountable for ensuring decent utilities are supplied to new builds.

A friend went with a WiFi Max style solution. He has the hub for the 8 home development. He gets a decent deal, could see if similar is an option for you.
I'm pretty sure all new builds are dirty now, when my friend moved in a new build it showed as slow Adsl only but then later on it changed to fibre
AndyRoyd16 m ago

Buddy has a 3 PAYG handset SIM in an unlocked EE Osprey mifi and has no …Buddy has a 3 PAYG handset SIM in an unlocked EE Osprey mifi and has no issues paying £35 / month for genuinely unlimited 4G via the £35 AIO add-on. Don't expect any assistance from 3 cos such use is not supported in its t&c but does physically function. You can also achieve similar via an old pre-Marshmallow Android handset tethering via the FoxFi app and FoxFi key or PDAnet. In all instances, do not use the 3 SIM in a 3-branded device.

How long has he used it for? I just read a few sites saying Three block the sim card.
mrty26 m ago

If be interested in this too. What /where is PDAnet please?

AFAIK the ancient standalone PDAnet requires software on the client, so unlikely to be available for a router, but the USB tethering function of FoxFi should be fine & I've seen 4G 3 PAYG SIM + non-3 unlocked Android Lollipop handset + FoxFi USB + Asus router working OK.
steveie3 m ago

How long has he used it for? I just read a few sites saying Three block …How long has he used it for? I just read a few sites saying Three block the sim card.

Years & still functional. Re-read the sources of the undefined "block". The 3 "block" is usually implemented when using the 3 simcard in a 3-branded device, so don't use it in a 3-branded device.
steveie8 m ago

How long has he used it for? I just read a few sites saying Three block …How long has he used it for? I just read a few sites saying Three block the sim card.

Ask OP from another thread if any issues. Info from this post onwards: hotukdeals.com/com…767
AndyRoyd20 m ago

Years & still functional. Re-read the sources of the undefined "block". …Years & still functional. Re-read the sources of the undefined "block". The 3 "block" is usually implemented when using the 3 simcard in a 3-branded device, so don't use it in a 3-branded device.

So you think buying this,

amazon.co.uk/TP-…ter

Then buying an all you can eat data package will work ok? Or is it more advisible to go down the old phone connected to a router way?

Also is it easier to get a 30 day rolling contract rather than PAYG so you dont have to keep rmembering to top up?
steveie21 m ago

So you think buying …So you think buying this,https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unlocked-Router-Configuration-Required/dp/B016ZWXYXG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527619191&sr=8-3&keywords=4g+routerThen buying an all you can eat data package will work ok? Or is it more advisible to go down the old phone connected to a router way?Also is it easier to get a 30 day rolling contract rather than PAYG so you dont have to keep rmembering to top up?

Any answers to those Q's would be based on assumptions, not recent experience. You are intending to use an unsupported service that may change at any time, so an extended contractual commitment may carry risk. Similarly I would be wary of spending £90 on kit for what may be an experiment, but obvsly if you can borrow same/similar kit to confirm function (or otherwise): OK.
Have you looked at wireless broadband, I'm in the peak district and could only get 1.5mbps with BT now on wireless no line rental and only paying £25pm for 20mbps unlimited and its been brill
Edited by: "as262" 29th May
as2626 m ago

Have you looked at wireless broadband, I'm in the peak district and could …Have you looked at wireless broadband, I'm in the peak district and could only get 1.5mbps with BT now on wireless no line rental and only paying £25pm for 20mbps unlimited and its been brill

yes i have, im not too far from the peaks in Chesterfield but i cant seem to find a supplir who reaches me in Chesterfield.
4Mbps isn't that slow. That's just under 2GB an hour so even the largest games are downloaded within a day.

The main limitation would be that you'd have to drop down a couple of quality levels on Netflix to something like DVD quality. That'd also save you money per month.
EndlessWaves7 m ago

4Mbps isn't that slow. That's just under 2GB an hour so even the largest …4Mbps isn't that slow. That's just under 2GB an hour so even the largest games are downloaded within a day. The main limitation would be that you'd have to drop down a couple of quality levels on Netflix to something like DVD quality. That'd also save you money per month.

The days of putting a disk in a console and being able to play are over, PSN is painful even now on 60mb internet with day 1 patches, i may as well not bother on 4mb, i also have a 4k TV so would really hate not being able to use Netflix 4K
steveie1 h, 1 m ago

...Stream Netflix 4k...

...and maybe confirm that the minimum bandwidth requirements (both speed and consistency) for 4k Netflix could be achieved via cellular connection at your location prior to throwing any chunky wedge at airtime or kit: "...A steady internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher..." help.netflix.com/en/…444
Anyone know if PdaNet can be used on xbox2?
AndyRoyd32 m ago

...and maybe confirm that the minimum bandwidth requirements (both speed …...and maybe confirm that the minimum bandwidth requirements (both speed and consistency) for 4k Netflix could be achieved via cellular connection at your location prior to throwing any chunky wedge at airtime or kit: "...A steady internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher..." https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

yeah im going to do some speed tests tomorrow.

I think im going to take the risk and buy third party router and just use the mobile AUCE sim in it, if it gets blocked im only on a 30 day contract, i could always just sell the router one and go on Three's 100GB (in store) if all else fails
as2621 h, 23 m ago

Have you looked at wireless broadband, I'm in the peak district and could …Have you looked at wireless broadband, I'm in the peak district and could only get 1.5mbps with BT now on wireless no line rental and only paying £25pm for 20mbps unlimited and its been brill

Not sure what the unlimited product is that you mention. Can you provide URL or more info? Thanks.
AndyRoyd7 m ago

Not sure what the unlimited product is that you mention. Can you provide …Not sure what the unlimited product is that you mention. Can you provide URL or more info? Thanks.

derbyshirebroadband.co.uk/pri…es/

It will be that, i called them earlier today and the signal doesnt reach Chesterfield
Edited by: "steveie" 29th May
steveie10 m ago

https://derbyshirebroadband.co.uk/prices/It will be that, i called them …https://derbyshirebroadband.co.uk/prices/It will be that, i called them earlier today and the signal doesnt reach Chesterfield

Thanks, think I was aware of that service but marketed under different brand name(?). Yes: sounds like it would have been ideal.
steveie58 m ago

yeah im going to do some speed tests tomorrow.I think im going to take the …yeah im going to do some speed tests tomorrow.I think im going to take the risk and buy third party router and just use the mobile AUCE sim in it, if it gets blocked im only on a 30 day contract, i could always just sell the router one and go on Three's 100GB (in store) if all else fails

Buddy suggests use 3internet as APN, rather than three.co.uk APN (apparently 3internet APN bypasses content filtering, so reducing some hops). The 3internet APN settings can be viewed at earlier HUKD post here: hotukdeals.com/com…831
AndyRoyd9 m ago

Buddy suggests use 3internet as APN, rather than three.co.uk APN …Buddy suggests use 3internet as APN, rather than three.co.uk APN (apparently 3internet APN bypasses content filtering, so reducing some hops). The 3internet APN settings can be viewed at earlier HUKD post here: https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/22830831

Thanks a lot man! I take it this will be configurable from any Router i buy
Edited by: "steveie" 29th May
steveie6 m ago

Thanks a lot man! I take it this will be configurable from any Router i buy

Beyond my knowledge how a router will auto-allocate APN settings but if configuration capability is similar to smartphone then it should(?) be straightforward to alter settings after a shufty at the router manual.
Why not put the SIM in a spare phone and tether from the phone, that is what I do. Was great when three only used to charge £15 for pay as you go unlimited, I used it for 2 years at that price, now I have to pay £35 for there unlimited
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 29th May
SOUTHWALES20 h, 12 m ago

Why not put the SIM in a spare phone and tether from the phone, that is …Why not put the SIM in a spare phone and tether from the phone, that is what I do. Was great when three only used to charge £15 for pay as you go unlimited, I used it for 2 years at that price, now I have to pay £35 for there unlimited

Are using any special app to tether? I dont own a Router that will work anyway as right now im using a BT homehub which im guessing only works with BT?
No, using my Lenovo P2 mobile phone, my Acer also tetherd, I thought most android phones tether, my wife's Samsung also tethers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants