EXPIRED

awful smell in our fridge

SuperEd
my OH switched our fridge/freezer off by accident for about 2 hours , then started smelling the next day,cleaned it out ,checked all food ,emptied the drip tray at the back , thought it went yesterday after all that but opened it just now and bloody hell it stinks! any ideas? or am i going to have to buy a new one ?

thanks in advance

17 Comments

What did you clean it out with ?

You're not supposed to use some products in fridges.

if you put baking soda in a bowl at bottom of fridge for a day it should absorb all the nasty smells. Also washing out the fridge walls/shleves with some vinegar in water seems to work as well. Shouldn't need a new fridge if its still working okay.

Original Poster SuperEd

deb8z

What did you clean it out with ?You're not supposed to use some products … What did you clean it out with ?You're not supposed to use some products in fridges.

just soapy water no harsh chemicals

Original Poster SuperEd

kaks26

if you put baking soda in a bowl at bottom of fridge for a day it should … if you put baking soda in a bowl at bottom of fridge for a day it should absorb all the nasty smells. Also washing out the fridge walls/shleves with some vinegar in water seems to work as well. Shouldn't need a new fridge if its still working okay.

was thinking that but no baking soda in the cupboard - have to get some tomorrow

It does work so definitely try it. I remember you used get little penguins which you filled with the baking soda and it sat on a shelf in your fridge permanently, you just had to change the soda every month. It was really effective and about £1 or something. Don't know if you can still get something like that. Good luck!

its not the mother-in-law thawing out is it ? (_;)

dead squirrell in the ice box??

Original Poster SuperEd

kaks26

It does work so definitely try it. I remember you used get little … It does work so definitely try it. I remember you used get little penguins which you filled with the baking soda and it sat on a shelf in your fridge permanently, you just had to change the soda every month. It was really effective and about £1 or something. Don't know if you can still get something like that. Good luck!

cheers mate ill have a look!

Original Poster SuperEd

richp

its not the mother-in-law thawing out is it ? (_;)

nah she wouldnt fit in it LOL

Original Poster SuperEd

barky

dead squirrell in the ice box??

hmmm ill check

if you have a smell in your fridge there are probably bacteria or moulds growing that are causing it. Baking Soda will not cure this, but simply obscure the odour a little - it's kinda like using Febreeze on material.

A decent kitchen cleaner that works on all surfaces should do it - take out the trays etc and give them all a good clean.

Oh he's here,the bug guy lol

moob

if you have a smell in your fridge there are probably bacteria or moulds … if you have a smell in your fridge there are probably bacteria or moulds growing that are causing it. Baking Soda will not cure this, but simply obscure the odour a little - it's kinda like using Febreeze on material.A decent kitchen cleaner that works on all surfaces should do it - take out the trays etc and give them all a good clean.

sound advice,but in my extensive experience,its usually a dead squirrel.

deb8z

Oh he's here,the bug guy lol

Crazy idea, but I thought I'd lend a hand in an area I know about. The shear stupidity of me trying to help someone out - mental!:{

moob

Crazy idea, but I thought I'd lend a hand in an area I know about. The … Crazy idea, but I thought I'd lend a hand in an area I know about. The shear stupidity of me trying to help someone out - mental!:{

I take your advice seriously,i was just jesting (_;)

Original Poster SuperEd

moob

if you have a smell in your fridge there are probably bacteria or moulds … if you have a smell in your fridge there are probably bacteria or moulds growing that are causing it. Baking Soda will not cure this, but simply obscure the odour a little - it's kinda like using Febreeze on material.A decent kitchen cleaner that works on all surfaces should do it - take out the trays etc and give them all a good clean.

cheers for the advice moob

Cut a lemon in half and leave it in the fridge.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2025
    2. Sad news about Barcelona1857
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764049
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846099

See more discussions