BA cancels incorrectly cheap tickets

Found 20th Jun
British Airways cancels ‘incorrectly’ cheap tickets bbc.co.uk/new…400

This is ridiculous how can BA do this especially as people have booked accommodation etc. I am hoping other airlines don not follow suit. What do people think?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
As ever, its all in the T+C's!

They reserve the right to do it and people don't bother to read then feel sad.
groenleader34 m ago

As ever, its all in the T+C's! They reserve the right to do it and people …As ever, its all in the T+C's! They reserve the right to do it and people don't bother to read then feel sad.

Yes but no one will be able to book hotels, car hire etc until the boarding pass is issued even then the airlines could cancel the flight.
20 Comments
As ever, its all in the T+C's!

They reserve the right to do it and people don't bother to read then feel sad.
groenleader34 m ago

As ever, its all in the T+C's! They reserve the right to do it and people …As ever, its all in the T+C's! They reserve the right to do it and people don't bother to read then feel sad.

Yes but no one will be able to book hotels, car hire etc until the boarding pass is issued even then the airlines could cancel the flight.
got a free upgrade from BA couple of weeks ago cant complain
IMO it depends on the timescale between booking the flight and BA cancelling it. Regardless of what the t&cs say as there is all sorts of mumbo jumbo in there.

less than 12hrs then perhaps i can see their point.

more than 12hrs then i think BA are being obtuse

edit - it also depends how far off the 'normal' price the ticket is.
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 20th Jun
I think BA should refund all the accommodation/car hire/any other associated costs if they can't honour the tickets as it's annoying for the people who already paid it and cannot get their money back.
I realised recently (after I had a flight time changed two days before I was due to fly back from holiday) that the airline is not liable for anything other than a refund unless the cancellation or (significant) change happens last minute.

On the other hand, after an airline (Vueling) changed my flight time to an earlier flight only to have me wait at the airport for a delayed flight (they managed to stay under the minimum delay for compensation - of course ) I will seriously hesitate to travel again with them.

So yes, technically and legally they can do it and not offer any compensation, but it will be bad for business because customers do not forget this sort of thing.
Best advice for anyone facing this; Join Which and Which Legal (c. £90 pa). Call their lawyers. They will love to fight this.

I believe there is a defence in consumer law against this kind of breach action towards consumers by a company. It extends to cover your liability for additional costs (ie hotel etc bookings) under certain conditoins.

BA can happily cancel flights via the Ts&Cs. However, this is not cancelling a flight. This is agreeing a contract by taking the booking AND TAKING THE MONEY. A company cannot then decide the price was too cheap once they have contracted the deal and their taking the money confirms the contract is agreed. John Lewis or similar can say the consumer knew the price was too cheap. BA cant do that. The consumer has been led to expect crazy fares by BA and other carriers so a low cost is not something that BA can say a consumer knew about and took advantage of.

I suspect these folk will get money and compensation. Sadly, as with Ryanair, people will still use them.
ccnp47 m ago

Best advice for anyone facing this; Join Which and Which Legal (c. £90 …Best advice for anyone facing this; Join Which and Which Legal (c. £90 pa). Call their lawyers. They will love to fight this.I believe there is a defence in consumer law against this kind of breach action towards consumers by a company. It extends to cover your liability for additional costs (ie hotel etc bookings) under certain conditoins. BA can happily cancel flights via the Ts&Cs. However, this is not cancelling a flight. This is agreeing a contract by taking the booking AND TAKING THE MONEY. A company cannot then decide the price was too cheap once they have contracted the deal and their taking the money confirms the contract is agreed. John Lewis or similar can say the consumer knew the price was too cheap. BA cant do that. The consumer has been led to expect crazy fares by BA and other carriers so a low cost is not something that BA can say a consumer knew about and took advantage of. I suspect these folk will get money and compensation. Sadly, as with Ryanair, people will still use them.

Obvious pricing error, so no comeback.
This is on TV now and most experts agree that this isn’t an obvious pricing error. Big companies, as usual, try to wriggleout of it. Still, im sure BA will be pleased with the bad publicity.
I believe some of the tickets were booked through travel agents. Therefore they cannot be deemed to be too cheap as the agents would have picked that up.
chimp14uk20th Jun

Obvious pricing error, so no comeback.

It wasn't an obvious pricing error though. Prices were still £195+ and not everyone would know that £194 of that was taxes.
chocci4 h, 34 m ago

It wasn't an obvious pricing error though. Prices were still £195+ and not …It wasn't an obvious pricing error though. Prices were still £195+ and not everyone would know that £194 of that was taxes.

Surely it states the cost of the flight and then the taxes etc before you commit to book?
chimp14uk50 m ago

Surely it states the cost of the flight and then the taxes etc before you …Surely it states the cost of the flight and then the taxes etc before you commit to book?

Not sure if ba do but I wouldn't automatically think it's an obvious error if it did break it down as other airlines do flights for £1 plus taxes on odd occasions. They are offering £100 to every customer affected in the form of a flight discount voucher so its not all bad.

Edit: you'll only see the taxes etc on ba if you click on price breakdown

34098309-bdHWj.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 22nd Jun
IMO BA should honour the original price as it is not an obvious glitch and as it could be booked through a travel agent as well.
sydney87120th Jun

Yes but no one will be able to book hotels, car hire etc until the …Yes but no one will be able to book hotels, car hire etc until the boarding pass is issued even then the airlines could cancel the flight.

Exactly - so many trolls on here roll out the old “if you don’t read T&Cs” but most of them don’t realise that many T&Cs allow for all sorts and you would do anything ever if you allowed for all the situations listed in them.

I think If people knew it was a glitch - it’s on them - but those that didn’t and booked through agents or on comparison sites and it look reasonable - they can rightly feel some injustice.

large companies run roughshod over their customers all the time mind you.

law is a donkey (the other word is probably censored)
joanddan71 h, 54 m ago

Exactly - so many trolls on here roll out the old “if you don’t read T&Cs” …Exactly - so many trolls on here roll out the old “if you don’t read T&Cs” but most of them don’t realise that many T&Cs allow for all sorts and you would do anything ever if you allowed for all the situations listed in them. I think If people knew it was a glitch - it’s on them - but those that didn’t and booked through agents or on comparison sites and it look reasonable - they can rightly feel some injustice.large companies run roughshod over their customers all the time mind you.law is a donkey (the other word is probably censored)

T&C's are there for a reason, and people who say that you should have read them are not trolls, they're just more sensible than you.
chimp14uk3 m ago

T&C's are there for a reason, and people who say that you should have read …T&C's are there for a reason, and people who say that you should have read them are not trolls, they're just more sensible than you.

You clearly didn’t read my comment.

Perhaps i should have made it 8 pages and not legally enforceable and you would have read it.

So many companies list things in T&Cs that when they try to enforce and legally made to change.

All flights are subject to cancellation in T&Cs but to suggest people shouldn’t book hotels because of T&Cs is lunacy and trolling.
joanddan71 h, 55 m ago

You clearly didn’t read my comment. Perhaps i should have made it 8 pages a …You clearly didn’t read my comment. Perhaps i should have made it 8 pages and not legally enforceable and you would have read it. So many companies list things in T&Cs that when they try to enforce and legally made to change. All flights are subject to cancellation in T&Cs but to suggest people shouldn’t book hotels because of T&Cs is lunacy and trolling.

I read your comment perfectly.
I don't think that you understand what trolls/trolling are/is.
chimp14uk42 m ago

I read your comment perfectly.I don't think that you understand what …I read your comment perfectly.I don't think that you understand what trolls/trolling are/is.

Ok. Thanks for the education. Well done.
joanddan734 m ago

Ok. Thanks for the education. Well done.

You're welcome
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants