Baby boxes to be sent to new parents in Scotland from Tuesday!

Editor 19
Found 15th Aug 2017
This week, Finnish-style baby boxes will be sent out to new parents across Scotland. I just love this idea!

The boxes are packed with baby essentials for your little one and includes

• a selection of clothes fr
  • bath towel, a travel changing mat, muslin cloth squares and a bib
  • books
  • a digital ear thermometer for taking your baby's temperature and more ...

Find more details here

Inspired by Finnish baby boxes, they can also be used for babies to sleep in - and include everything you need to make this possbile!

The box is made of super thick heavy duty cardboard with a design printed on it and it contains a firm foam mattress that fits the box perfectly, a waterproof mattress cover and a cotton sheet.

2765229-kWahG.jpg
It's designed to encourage parents to have babies sleep in their rooms in these boxes for the first 6 months. It all started in Finland in 1938 and following its introduction, their rate of infant mortalty dropped sharply which was attributed to the baby box.

Source The Guardian
'All new mothers in Scotland are being offered free baby boxes including clothes, thermometers and books in an effort to improve their children’s life chances. The boxes, worth about £160 each including distribution costs, are being made available to about 58,000 mothers a year from Tuesday, in a voluntary opt-in scheme. The initiative mirrors a programme running in Finland since the 1930s.'

2765229-JE64a.jpg
Expectant mums in Scotland need to opt-in to receive the baby boxes - they can do this durin a routine appointment with their midwife
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
It's easy to offer things like this when you've got another country propping you up...
chuckiedoll1 h, 4 m ago

Best thing my friend put in my baby box!

Stop letting friends put things in your baby box, then you won't need condoms.
dcx_badass2 h, 39 m ago

It's easy to offer things like this when you've got another country …It's easy to offer things like this when you've got another country propping you up...

Scotland have been subsiding the UK for decades.

Fraser Of Allander Institute economist Brian Ashcroft a committed Unionist btw – an independent Scotland from 1980 until the present day would currently be sitting on an oil fund of tens of billions of pounds even with the blow of current low revenues.

Norway, a similar sized nation to Scotland has a sovereign wealth worth approximately £658 billion. Now imagine how much better Scotland would have been better off without the UK sucking on its teet.
Edited by: "jaybizzle" 15th Aug 2017
19 Comments
Good, its probably better then bounty packs.
It's easy to offer things like this when you've got another country propping you up...
Lol its got condoms in it
Error44026 m ago

Women are extremely fertile after the birth of child so they have been added to stop an additional unwanted child being conceived immediately after one has just been born.

A lot of people don't know this and many children are conceived in the immediate aftermath of childbirth across the country.

These, one can only imagine, are the same people that still lol at the mention of condoms.
Error44040 m ago

chuckiedoll1 h, 4 m ago

Stop letting friends put things in your baby box, then you won't need condoms.
Bo0td3 m ago

Stop letting friends put things in your baby box, then you won't need …Stop letting friends put things in your baby box, then you won't need condoms.

Re-phrase then. My baby gift box!
dcx_badass2 h, 39 m ago

It's easy to offer things like this when you've got another country …It's easy to offer things like this when you've got another country propping you up...

Scotland have been subsiding the UK for decades.

Fraser Of Allander Institute economist Brian Ashcroft a committed Unionist btw – an independent Scotland from 1980 until the present day would currently be sitting on an oil fund of tens of billions of pounds even with the blow of current low revenues.

Norway, a similar sized nation to Scotland has a sovereign wealth worth approximately £658 billion. Now imagine how much better Scotland would have been better off without the UK sucking on its teet.
Edited by: "jaybizzle" 15th Aug 2017
jaybizzle20 m ago

Scotland have been subsiding the UK for decades.Fraser Of Allander …Scotland have been subsiding the UK for decades.Fraser Of Allander Institute economist Brian Ashcroft a committed Unionist btw – an independent Scotland from 1980 until the present day would currently be sitting on an oil fund of tens of billions of pounds even with the blow of current low revenues.Norway, a similar sized nation to Scotland has a sovereign wealth worth approximately £658 billion. Now imagine how much better Scotland would have been better off without the UK sucking on its teet.

If only the Oil industry was so simple.
Banned
The English taxpayers send their regards along with the boxes they paid for!
jaybizzle3 h, 27 m ago

Scotland have been subsiding the UK for decades.Fraser Of Allander …Scotland have been subsiding the UK for decades.Fraser Of Allander Institute economist Brian Ashcroft a committed Unionist btw – an independent Scotland from 1980 until the present day would currently be sitting on an oil fund of tens of billions of pounds even with the blow of current low revenues.Norway, a similar sized nation to Scotland has a sovereign wealth worth approximately £658 billion. Now imagine how much better Scotland would have been better off without the UK sucking on its teet.

Zzzzz
Ah, once again Scotland gets yet another perk that the rest of us lose out on. Makes me wonder if it's to sweeten them to avoid the leave vote?
Banned
Error4409 h, 4 m ago

Good, its probably better then bounty packs.

You get a free Bounty bar?
Banned
jax61917 h, 23 m ago

Its a good thing though. And forgetting about weather rest of UK props up …Its a good thing though. And forgetting about weather rest of UK props up Scotland or whether oil belongs to Scotland not Britain bla bla bla. Least Scotland seem to try and help their people.

Have you seen the state of the education system? Crisis, more it has rolled over and died and is on the way to the knackers yard. Nicola "William Wallace" Sturgeon has neglected the people of Scotland in the sole aim of independence at all costs.
Edited by: "Graham1979" 16th Aug 2017
Graham197917 h, 25 m ago

The English taxpayers send their regards along with the boxes they paid …The English taxpayers send their regards along with the boxes they paid for!

Yeah ! Of course no one in Scotland pays taxes eh!
118luke16 h, 43 m ago

Ah, once again Scotland gets yet another perk that the rest of us lose out …Ah, once again Scotland gets yet another perk that the rest of us lose out on. Makes me wonder if it's to sweeten them to avoid the leave vote?

I'm in Scotland and my kids are all grown up now however I couldn't give two hoots about the free boxes.

it certainly doesn't 'sweeten' me at all
Its just another SNP ploy to win a few votes from mothers "oh look at the SNP that gave me something else for nothing while the rest pay for it"

Im in Scotland and believe I already pay too much for other peoples children - cant afford them dont have them should be the rule not breed like rabbits and everyone else will pay

I already pay more tax than colleagues doing the same job in england to pay for nonsense like this
Edited by: "jase.2" 16th Aug 2017
jase.21 h, 2 m ago

Its just another SNP ploy to win a few votes from mothers "oh look at the …Its just another SNP ploy to win a few votes from mothers "oh look at the SNP that gave me something else for nothing while the rest pay for it" Im in Scotland and believe I already pay too much for other peoples children - cant afford them dont have them should be the rule not breed like rabbits and everyone else will payI already pay more tax than colleagues doing the same job in england to pay for nonsense like this

You do realise that some mothers do actually work? Some people can afford to have children and if the government wants to waste money handing out boxes it's not really the fault of the mothers!

Your comment comes across quite bitter, my kids are grown up but I have always worked and paid for our kids as does my husband who is a higher rate tax payer. These boxes are nothing to do with people who can/can't afford kids. They go to all new mums regardless ifthey have worked hard or sat on their arses for years.

I think it's a complete waste of money but there's not much I can do about it just the same as you.
jase.22 h, 18 m ago

Its just another SNP ploy to win a few votes from mothers "oh look at the …Its just another SNP ploy to win a few votes from mothers "oh look at the SNP that gave me something else for nothing while the rest pay for it" Im in Scotland and believe I already pay too much for other peoples children - cant afford them dont have them should be the rule not breed like rabbits and everyone else will payI already pay more tax than colleagues doing the same job in england to pay for nonsense like this

My niece, an accountant and her husband,(engineer) pay a lot of tax. Their baby arrived two weeks early so they don't get one. If he had been born a few days late they would have. Not everyone in Scotland breed like rabbits and pay no tax.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants