Baby Scan - 21 Weeks - Bilateral Choroid Plexus Cysts found - Update on Rescan 3rd July - 28wks tomorrow...

31 replies
Found 19th May 2009
I had my 21 week scan this morning,didn't ask if boy or girl as never asked before with other two. Anyway the found the baby to have Choroid Plexus Cysts on the brain there is 1 either side so is Bilateral. They can't find any other abnormalities so say they probably nothing,I'm due to be scanned again at 28wks time.
Anyone else had these found on their baby? I could tell there was something wrong when she checked the brain and could see myself and I'm no expert,but know these were not on my other 2,also the scan took much longer than the other 2.

i'm 29 and had combined blood screening tests and nuchal scan at 12 wks and my Trisomy 21 ( Downs syndrome ) result was 1:19940 and Trisomy 13+18 ( Edwards syndrome ) was 1:165171 so very low results my midwife said.

Based on my screening tests I've had done,I've decided against having an amnio if this is suggested to me,also because at moment they can't find any other abnormalities on ultrascan. I would rather nature takes it's course,abortion is not for me,so don't see the point of having an amnio done,specially wiht other investigations coming up low.

Baby is breech at moment but I guessed that myself as been really high up and I was certain upright and not transverse, and can feel it's feet kicking some little flutters lower down. I'm totally amazed by it just like the other 2 and hope he/she is ok in there.

30 Comments

I believe the cysts are not harmful. My downs results came back high and i did have an amnio. I would personally have an amnio again if the need arises, as to have 20 weeks of constant worry and not knowing, would result in i myself being ill which would not be good for the baby.

Sending you all the luck in the world.......I'm sure that he/she will be okay in there

I'm sure he/she will be ok, and hopefull cysts are nothing to worry about, as LLM said, 20 weeks of worrying is a long time, and may cause you or the baby just stress and making you both unwell.

I keep my fingers crossed for you that all goes well

I dont personally have any experience of this but just wanted to send you big hugs.

If it were me personally I would have the amnio due to the fact that I need to know what I am up against and need to plan for everything.

I also want to applaud you for not considering abortion. My son has special needs and there is no way I would ever be without him. He may be hard work but he is so worth it.

Good luck for your next scan xxxxxxxx

Original Poster

i'm not really worried and stressing about it at moment and hope it clears up on it's own,I go to see my midwife next week so see what she says about it all.
Amnio not for me as I wouldn't consider abortion so for me I can wait and would rather not dabble,I'm hoping they gone time 7 wks comes by and there is no after effects once born.

hope all goes well x

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5257386

i'm not really worried and stressing about it at moment and hope it … i'm not really worried and stressing about it at moment and hope it clears up on it's own,I go to see my midwife next week so see what she says about it all.Amnio not for me as I wouldn't consider abortion so for me I can wait and would rather not dabble,I'm hoping they gone time 7 wks comes by and there is no after effects once born.

You keep connecting amnio with an abortion? Its not that at all, its a definite answer which gives you time to prepare both mentally and physically.....at least you would have the choice to prepare, some mothers don't have this option.

i had amnio with my second two in fact went to one hospital was 40 mins with needle in stomach but they couldn't get any fluid due to position of baby and the placenta. A week later i went to another hosptial had it done again in 10 mins and three days later got the results. He's now a lively 5 year old.

It isn't as bad as people make out and it is only a slight risk of miscarriage if you take it easy afterwards you should be ok. Hugs & well wishes coming your way bless you xxx

I don't think she is meaning the amnio risks, i believe the amnio results wouldn't affect her decision on keeping the baby. I think thats what she is trying to say.

fingers crossed for you xx

hope everything is okay

thinking of you hope everything be ok xxx

good luck hun. my friend had something similar..she is 32 weeks now and goes in every month for a scan... they said it was fine on its own but if anywhere else its a concern. her baby has one on kidney as well...or something like that...but they think it shouldnt lead to abnormality. baby will need antibiotics and be ok.

fingers crossed the cysts on their own should be no worries..alhtough as a mother its terryfing. :friends:

hope everything will be ok mum2 :friends:

Banned

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5257386

i'm not really worried and stressing about it at moment and hope it … i'm not really worried and stressing about it at moment and hope it clears up on it's own,I go to see my midwife next week so see what she says about it all.Amnio not for me as I wouldn't consider abortion so for me I can wait and would rather not dabble,I'm hoping they gone time 7 wks comes by and there is no after effects once born.

fingers crosses for ya and hope eveything turns out ok xxx

Can't say I've been through the same thing so thought I'd just post the link to a forum I use for baby/pregnancy related issues....[url]www.babyexpert.com.[/url] maybe someone there might be going through the same thing xx

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;5257578

You keep connecting amnio with an abortion? Its not that at all, its a … You keep connecting amnio with an abortion? Its not that at all, its a definite answer which gives you time to prepare both mentally and physically.....at least you would have the choice to prepare, some mothers don't have this option.

I know what the amnio is for and I know it would come with a risk of miscarriage and I'm not willing to take that risk to find out if something is wrong. If something is wrong,then I wouldn't choose abortion anyway so for me personally it's not an option I want to take advantage of.
Just need to prepare for what will come if something is wrong and deal with it at the time.

Banned

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5258295

I know what the amnio is for and I know it would come with a risk of … I know what the amnio is for and I know it would come with a risk of miscarriage and I'm not willing to take that risk to find out if something is wrong. If something is wrong,then I wouldn't choose abortion anyway so for me personally it's not an option I want to take advantage of.Just need to prepare for what will come if something is wrong and deal with it at the time.

great atttiude to have and wish you well xx

Original Poster

sassie;5258304

great atttiude to have and wish you well xx

Thanks,I will update when I know more in next 7wks or so.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5258332

Thanks,I will update when I know more in next 7wks or so.

You will be fine, you are already thinkIng positive which is good Good luck.

Original Poster

Had to chase up my appointment today as I thought a letter should come by now,called up and for some reason it's not down for a rescan at 28weeks,they said I needed to contact maternity and get them to action a 28wk scan request so got that sorted over phone and appointment should be here soon.
Just aswell I chased it up now or it might been delayed without the 3 wks or so notice now.

fingers crossed for you

and just typical that you have been overlooked, hope all goes well x x x

Original Poster

Had rescan today,cysts have gone,so that's good and baby gone head down,thought it had other week as there was a lot of shuffling about 1 day,hopefully stays that way down!
Everything else spot on with scan,got some pics,just to show the children really,had to look away when measuring the baby legs,must been obvious to sonographer if boy or girl.

Brilliant news!!! great for your family to hear im sure

im going to put my wager on a boy :thumbsup:

Great news for you - wow - you must be feeling so relieved - now you can relax a little and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

aww glad all is well, i had a scare with my little boy. My 12 week scan was fine but then had a scan at 23weeks and his nuchal fold was measuring big, the lady who scanned me scared me so much and was really rude. I had to go and be scanned at a big hospital with better machines. To cut a long story short my little boy was fine and has nothing wrong with him but it cause extreme worry and stress and really made me hate my pregnancy. Glad all was ok for you to x

Original Poster

Could be boy or girl really,I have reasons that it could be either.

Yeh this is the thing,the scans are nice to have,get a pic and all,but they can worry us a lot too.

Big relief it's turned too butterflies!

Banned

oh so pleased for you hun, and hopefully everything will be straight forward from now on xxxx

awesome news!!!!

ah, bless great news xxx
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which wall design do you like best?89
    2. word association Game74244939
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522901
    4. Add one, leave one game54415485

See more discussions