Back to School - School Uniform for all Budgets plus details on the School Uniform Grant

Deal editor23
Posted 12th Aug
The start of a new school year is fast approaching, and so comes the inevitable buying of new school uniforms. This can be a costly time for us parents, however Supermarkets and High Street stores are offering some great school uniform deals, and prices on a whole range of back-to-school items.

Hopefully some of this info will be useful for anyone starting their back to school shopping

3522871.jpg
ALDI - Full School Uniform For £4

Aldi have a range of school uniform on offer and the prices are incredibly cheap! Just £4.00 bundle for their complete school uniform, including two polo shirts, one round neck jumper and either trousers or a skirt, and is suitable for ages 3-11 years.

Online now, and in stores from Thursday 13th August 2020.

3522871.jpg

Sainsbury's Tu Clothing School Uniform

Sainsbury's School clothing range is really good value - with 3 Packs of School Polo Shirts from £3.50, 3 Packs on Non Iron school shirts from £4.50, a 5 pack of School shirts from £6.00 (one for every day of the week!)

They also run regular promotions, and hopefully we will see a 25% discount on the Tu range coming very soon for even greater school uniform discounts

3522871.jpg

Argos School Uniforms

Argos stock a smaller range of Tu school uniform, and is a great place to grab your school uniform on a budget with prices from £3.00. It's a nice bonus to be able to make use of their free next day collection from a local Argos store

3522871.jpg

M&S / Marks and Spencer School Uniform

M&S school uniforms feature “repellent finishes for added durability, crease-resistant fabrics – including non-iron shirts – and scuff-resistant shoes” to make life as easy as possible! Prices start from just £3.50, and they are known for their excellent quality.

I love that Marks & Spencer offer an Easy dressing range for children with disabilities, this includes some school uniform items “The range includes hip dysplasia clothes, feeding tube clothing and zip-up bodysuits. With thoughtfully placed poppers and super-soft materials“

3522871.jpg

Morrisons Nutmeg School Uniform

Morrisons have a small selection of School Uniform items including school trousers, cardigans, skirts, school jumpers, polo shirts and more, with prices from £2.00

3522871.jpg

Lidl - School Uniform Bundle for £4.00

Instore only - The Lidl £4.00 school uniform bundle includes 2 pack of polo shirts (£1.75) , a school sweatshirt (50p), and a choice of either trousers, shorts or skirt for £1.75. Items can be bought separately too, and will sell out fast.

3522871.jpg

Matalan School Uniform

School wear from just £3.00 in the Matalan School Shop. Stain resistant trousers from £5.00, skirts from £3.00, jumpers from £4,00 and 5 packs of easy-care shirts from £5.00. They also have some generous fit options

Matalan are also running a £5 & Under School Uniform Event

3522871.jpg

Next School Uniform

Stylish school uniform? Next is definitely not the cheapest place to go for school uniform , but they are known for their quality, and they do have some nice little touches

3522871.jpg

John Lewis School Uniform

Their range includes great value easy care shirts and hardwearing trousers that are made to last.

They also have a selection of School Uniform Discountsin their Reduced to Clear section

Some hefty discounts of up to 70% Off school bags, school blazers, skirts, shirts, jumpers and more

3522871.jpg
3522871.jpg
School Logos on High Street Uniforms - If your child’s school insists on having their logo on the uniform then check out Our School Badge.

They offer embroidered badges that you can then iron on, no sewing skills needed! They claim that their badges will stick to ‘virtually any fabric’. They offer no set-up charges, a fast turnaround time and free delivery too.

3522871.jpg
  • Look for stain-resistant fabrics – Children are messy! Stain resistant fabrics are often coated in teflon, or similar products, so the stains will come out easier in the wash.

• Label EVERYTHING – Really, who wants to have to shop for replacements a month in to the school year? Invest in some writeable or ready printed labels, so your childs clothing can be easily identified even if it ends up in lost property.

• Does you school (or the PTA) have a second-hand uniform sale or swap. A great way to recycle old uniforms and save money.

• Hate ironing? I know I do! Look out for non-iron, or crease resistant options.

3522871.jpg
The school uniform grant is designed to help UK families on low incomes with with school uniform costs. The amount varies depending where you live, and in some areas it's not available at all, so the best way to check if you are eligible is through the government’s website.

Typically you can apply if you qualify for Free School Meals or receive certain benefits, e.g

• Income Support;
  • Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance;
  • Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit;
  • Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit with an annual taxable income of £16,190 or less;
  • Universal credit and have net household earnings not exceeding £14,000 per year.

Grants vary depending on location, and could be anything up to £250

Over the years many local councils in England have pulled out of the School Uniform Grant Scheme - Enter your postcode to see if your council area is one of the few that remain and still offer grants

3522871.jpg
Community Updates
Megathread
23 Comments
School’s whack.
Great post @millarcat
Tesco uniform section missed off there? Lol or
Would be nice if all the English based retailers realised that schools are already back in parts of the UK. Scottish schools started going back yesterday, and apart from being a few days earlier than normal this year, it's been this way for decades.
Edited by: "alg" 12th Aug
alg12/08/2020 13:08

Would be nice if all the English based retailers realised that schools are …Would be nice if all the English based retailers realised that schools are already back in parts of the UK. Scottish schools started going back yesterday, and apart from being a few days earlier than normal this year, it's been this way for decades.

Half the back to school was launched before the Scottish schools went back?
Where is the school uniform grant for people in England? Obviously another benefit funded by the English they are not entitled to though.
Cbear8112/08/2020 14:42

Half the back to school was launched before the Scottish schools went back?

Yes, but I got an email from a company (Argos/Tu clothing?) this morning saying "the schools are back in a few weeks time - time to get the new uniform" or something along those lines.

No, some of them went back yesterday. They need to realise that sending out an email like that can annoy people.
Yeah Scottish schools went back yesterday. I agree bit late on emails. But we have lauched bts well ahead of time lol at Tesco
666FU12/08/2020 15:38

Where is the school uniform grant for people in England? Obviously another …Where is the school uniform grant for people in England? Obviously another benefit funded by the English they are not entitled to though.

I did a very quick read up on this, so I don't have all the details, but the scheme was initially introduced in the 1980's to help parents cover back to school costs. It was available in England, but it seems that over the years a lot of local councils in England pulled out of this scheme due to funding rows between local authorities and the government.

There are, apparently a few local council areas in England that do still offer some help - but not many (I've added the info to the OP) You can enter your postcode to see if your council area is one of the few that remain and still offer grants
Edited by: "millarcat" 12th Aug
millarcat12/08/2020 19:52

I did a very quick read up on this, so I don't have all the details, but …I did a very quick read up on this, so I don't have all the details, but the scheme was initially introduced in the 1980's to help parents cover back to school costs. It was available in England, but it seems that over the years a lot of local councils in England pulled out of this scheme due to funding rows between local authorities and the government.There are, apparently a few local council areas that do still offer some help - but no many (I've added the info to the OP) You can enter your postcode to see if your council area is one of the few that remain and still offer grants

Some local council areas where ever you live will exempt you from it if you get working tax credits!
Cbear8112/08/2020 19:56

Some local council areas where ever you live will exempt you from it if …Some local council areas where ever you live will exempt you from it if you get working tax credits!

Nightmare, so much red tape, nothing is ever clear cut. I'd say each council area may have their own criteria.
My area was always like this if u claim working tax credit it won’t allow you for anything so working class lose out yet again . Universal credit is different kettle of fish even though is near enough the same thing.
Cbear8112/08/2020 13:00

Tesco uniform section missed off there? Lol or

Haha no real reason for this, other than I found it annoying that there's no links to click in to, to get individual prices, for individual sizes etc... So just 'from' prices.

I've left off a few retailers, and just did a quick round up of some of the offers available
millarcat12/08/2020 20:02

Haha no real reason for this, other than I found it annoying that there's …Haha no real reason for this, other than I found it annoying that there's no links to click in to, to get individual prices, for individual sizes etc... So just 'from' prices. I've left off a few retailers, and just did a quick round up of some of the offers available

Think once they got rid of F&f website itself they made it one page I think that’s it lol
Cbear8112/08/2020 19:59

My area was always like this if u claim working tax credit it won’t allow y …My area was always like this if u claim working tax credit it won’t allow you for anything so working class lose out yet again . Universal credit is different kettle of fish even though is near enough the same thing.

Yeah it's quite annoying, I help out at a local food bank, and more and more we are seeing the 'working poor' make use of it. Retailers aren't paying amazing wages as the market is saturated, and once someone start working, they now pay for everything, so may well have less disposable income than someone who is not working. No real middle ground.

Northern Ireland insn't too bad with the school uniform grant in that you can still get it if you receive working tax credit, but you do still need to be earning less than £16,190
millarcat12/08/2020 20:06

Yeah it's quite annoying, I help out at a local food bank, and more and …Yeah it's quite annoying, I help out at a local food bank, and more and more we are seeing the 'working poor' make use of it. More people looking for jobs, so retailers aren't paying amazing wages as the market is saturated, and once someone start working, they now pay for everything, so may well have less disposable income than someone who is not working. No real middle ground.

That’s nice of you ...I help do that at my current role also . Yeah lower wages folk are using it. Sometimes you’re better off not working
Would be a big help not having to have their logos on. Makes cheap jumpers way more expensive
squeakybot12/08/2020 20:53

Would be a big help not having to have their logos on. Makes cheap jumpers …Would be a big help not having to have their logos on. Makes cheap jumpers way more expensive

Absolutely! No need for them on school jumpers / polo shirts for primary school aged children - would make life a lot simpler, and cheaper!
millarcat12/08/2020 21:06

Absolutely! No need for them on school jumpers / polo shirts for primary …Absolutely! No need for them on school jumpers / polo shirts for primary school aged children - would make life a lot simpler, and cheaper!

I don't understand why they don't just make patches!
The same patches, minus a few lost jumpers and thread falling apart over the years, would last throughout a child's education there.
Just unpick and resew next year, I'm sure a local business would take on that job if it was needed.
A grey jumper is a grey jumper, so long as plain and unbranded so it makes no difference.
@millarcat I've just received an email from John Lewis for 20% off school uniform. I don’t know if it will work for everyone but thought I would share, it might help someone out

ONLINE REWARD: 20% OFF SCHOOLWEAR
Get them ready for a new school day with 20% off our leading Back to School shop. Simply use the code MYJLSCHOOL at checkout when you shop on our app or online until Monday 31 August.
Birmingham City Council is useless, as usual.
Post a comment
@
    Text