Groups

Back up discs: Which do I use?

Hi,
    I've not long purchased an Acer Revo and its prompting me to make back up discs.
    Not being technically minded I don't know which type of disc I should use to do this, CD? DVD? then there's -R, +R, RW etc the list is endless.
    Any help would be appreciated.

6 Comments

Banned

dvd -r is the best bet (single layer)
    buy a packet not just one or two!

make sure to store the backup dvd's in a dark cupboard, and where they wont get scratched about, this will be your windows and computer backup!
    and find a plastic case to store the dvd's in, they can get damaged easily, and it will be an important disc once burnt

As above.

Although it's likely there is also a recovery partition, but it's best to have both just in case.

I personally would rebuild it from scratch, but that would be to eliminate the bloatware

>I've not long purchased an Acer Revo and its prompting me to make back up discs.

My guess is the backup program (or documentation) will tell which backup disks to use.

DONT buy R/W (these are read/write so the data could be deleted afterwards).

Most DVD drives do both DVD -R and DVD +R so you can chose either. Check your DVD drive will work with both -R and +R.

Original Poster

jubbyme;8766903

dvd -r is the best bet (single layer)buy a packet not just one or … dvd -r is the best bet (single layer)buy a packet not just one or two!make sure to store the backup dvd's in a dark cupboard, and where they wont get scratched about, this will be your windows and computer backup!and find a plastic case to store the dvd's in, they can get damaged easily, and it will be an important disc once burnt

Thank you so much for the excellent help.Repped.

Original Poster

DragonChris;8766942

As above.Although it's likely there is also a recovery partition, but … As above.Although it's likely there is also a recovery partition, but it's best to have both just in case.I personally would rebuild it from scratch, but that would be to eliminate the bloatware

Thanks for your help.Repped.
    I can't believe how much rubbish comes pre-insatlled on the Revo.
    As I'm a bit of a novice I've deleted a few 'safe' things (ie. the games etc) but I haven't risked deleting much else due to my inexperience.
    Installing from scatch would be much better.I need to take a computer course
    I've also found that the wi-fi connection is pretty rubbish unless that just my machine.

Original Poster

guilbert53;8767788

I've not long purchased an Acer Revo and its prompting me to make back up … >I've not long purchased an Acer Revo and its prompting me to make back up discs.My guess is the backup program (or documentation) will tell which backup disks to use.DONT buy R/W (these are read/write so the data could be deleted afterwards). Most DVD drives do both DVD -R and DVD +R so you can chose either. Check your DVD drive will work with both -R and +R.

Many thanks.Repped.I've got some DVD-R so I'll buy some more and see how I get on.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764309
      2. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism11
      3. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63219
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917266

See more discussions