Found 1st Jun 2010
Basically I'm looking into buying a desktop hdd to back up my portables and due to a pricing budget, have decided on either the :
1TB WD Elements Desktop Drive
or
1TB WD MyBook Desktop Essential Drive ( £2.50 more, and do these work with mac??)

Which will probably be more reliable?
Also can the my book be put on it's side?
Thanks
Jack

10 Comments

Original Poster

Bump

Original Poster

anyone?

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8737275

All hard drives will work with a mac.

That's what I thought!
any knowledge on the above hard drives?
Jack

dont use the WD mybook ones anymore they have the stupid power save option which is crap....

how much data are we talking about?

will it be powered up all the time

you are on a mac?

Can use any hard drive with a mac.

Can lie it on its side if you want.

They will both have similar reliablity. Should really buy two though to back all the data up.

Original Poster

boothy;8737304

dont use the WD mybook ones anymore they have the stupid power save … dont use the WD mybook ones anymore they have the stupid power save option which is crap....how much data are we talking about?will it be powered up all the timeyou are on a mac?

Nope only powered on to back up data probably and occasionally connected to my ps3 to watch a film off it..
Yeah Macbook pro :thumbsup:

And probably 600gb at the moment..
Jack

spikeyjacko;8737343

Nope only powered on to back up data probably and occasionally connected … Nope only powered on to back up data probably and occasionally connected to my ps3 to watch a film off it..Yeah Macbook pro :thumbsup:And probably 600gb at the moment..Jack

would be better to buy 2x 1TB drives for extra security

I have a 2tb version of this and its pretty good but looks crap
amazon.co.uk/Sea…8-2

Also I have 2X 2TB inside these macally cases not cheap but are top quality and are the bees knees
amazon.co.uk/Mac…8-2

These are also supposed to be good
amazon.co.uk/Iom…1-1

Personally I use a 500gb portable passport drive to back up my mac and keep everything(movies)else separate

Original Poster

Problem is my budget at the moment :-(
Here's my set up at the moment
320gb portable - movies
640gb portable - tv shows
160gb portable - back up mac
120gb portable - music

I can only really afford another 1tb at the moment, I would upgrade eventually but I'm abit strapped for cash at the moment!
All the 1tb would be used for is backing up my portables really..

I really appreciate your time and effort posting the links And I like the look of the minimax, but again, I'm on a budget :-(
What do you reckon?
I'll probably be powering it up 2-3 times a week?
Jack

get those movies and Tv shows backed up pronto

not sure on the numbers cash wise but I would do the following unless you really need the portables

sell all the portables except one for time machine usage

bang the lot on 2x 1or 1.5 TB drives

much much safer

any reason why you have the music on a portable and not on your mac?

if you did them TM would automatically back all this up

your collection is only going to get bigger.....only my opinions of course

Original Poster

boothy;8737529

get those movies and Tv shows backed up prontonot sure on the numbers … get those movies and Tv shows backed up prontonot sure on the numbers cash wise but I would do the following unless you really need the portablessell all the portables except one for time machine usagebang the lot on 2x 1or 1.5 TB drivesmuch much saferany reason why you have the music on a portable and not on your mac?if you did them TM would automatically back all this upyour collection is only going to get bigger.....only my opinions of course

I often alternate between friends house and travel abit.. Portables are much easier imo :-D
No I mean I've got my music backed up onto a portable as well as my mac..
Think I'm gonna buy the 1tb one for now ( I'll be working alot over summer so hopefully have a bit more disposable income before I go to uni!)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    2. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    3. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065
    4. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21125

See more discussions