Backing up / archive photos

Posted 8th Jan
Over the years I have amassed a large collection of personal photos and videos that are of value to me.
I have then stored in Google photos which is free to store in the cloud but also wondering how is the best way to make a back up just in case there's ever a problem. I've thought about external HDD or USB sticks but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?? I have approximately 60gb to back up.
Any help would be appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Do you have Amazon prime then use free full resolution image backup (video is free up to 5gb). I personally use 100gb deal from Amazon Prime. Pc/Mac/Phone/Tablet easy to backup and easy to download.
I use a NAS with two RAID WD Green drives. After 5? Years not one issue. Both discs reporting 100% health still.
yeah you need local (and maybe offsite backup also)
A 1 or 2 TB external usb drive should be fine. Have 2 and you can keep 1 fairly local but away from the house.
key questions are
what would you do if your hard disk crashed?
what would you do if the house caught fire/burgled/bombed/flooded/etc?
what would you do if the internet was down for a long period/google went out of business/google servers failed and their own backups?
all 3 scenarios happening at once would be very unlucky, 2 just unlucky and 1 - well its gonna happen sometime

I would also recommend you rationalise your collection. without knowing what your interests and subjects are I would bet there are some overlaps and not every single one is 100% unique.
I have always thought a local copy & offsite copy is plenty TBH - What is the chance of your laptop/PC failing at the same time as Google going out of business (I personally use OneDrive too mind you).
alcot33uk08/01/2020 15:13

I use a NAS with two RAID WD Green drives. After 5? Years not one issue. …I use a NAS with two RAID WD Green drives. After 5? Years not one issue. Both discs reporting 100% health still.

That sounds safe If any data is important to you invest in a cloud storage solution.
powerbrick08/01/2020 19:35

That sounds safe If any data is important to you invest in …That sounds safe If any data is important to you invest in a cloud storage solution.

Cloud storage = someone else’s computer that’s all. At least mine is handy and,hey, after all these years not one issue.
alcot33uk08/01/2020 20:03

Cloud storage = someone else’s computer that’s all. At least mine is handy …Cloud storage = someone else’s computer that’s all. At least mine is handy and,hey, after all these years not one issue.

Cloud storage = server farms with high levels of redundancy.

A fire or power surge and you data is gone.
powerbrick08/01/2020 20:22

Cloud storage = server farms with high levels of redundancy. A … Cloud storage = server farms with high levels of redundancy. A fire or power surge and you data is gone.

Ok - You're 100% right and I'm clearly wrong, happy?
Thanks for the comments - I don't have Amazon Prime and I don't think there's any other cloud based services that are as generous as google photos (free for unlimited photo upload).
I'm probably going to go down the HDD route. If I back them up on there then it's very unlikely google cloud will fail and the HDD will fail at the same time. As far as I'm aware there's no large company cloud product has completely failed before??
Heard Amazon is a nightmare to retrieve files if you decide to close account. No idea if true but what I heard. Anyway with only 60 gig buy a couple of usb sticks and load up. Password protect and hide one away from home if you can.
Edited by: "wayners" 9th Jan
georgeb09/01/2020 14:54

Thanks for the comments - I don't have Amazon Prime and I don't think …Thanks for the comments - I don't have Amazon Prime and I don't think there's any other cloud based services that are as generous as google photos (free for unlimited photo upload).I'm probably going to go down the HDD route. If I back them up on there then it's very unlikely google cloud will fail and the HDD will fail at the same time. As far as I'm aware there's no large company cloud product has completely failed before??

If I remember correctly it is free for certain amount of GB, them it is unlimited but stores photos in high quality (not original quality). Not sure how much worse high quality from Google would be Vs your originals but something worth bearing in mind
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions