Found 24th Nov 2009
Hi All,

Are there any BackupExec gurus out there?

I need to set up a backup for my company with rotating weekly backups onto removable hard drives. (There are 2 drives)

I have the jobs setup but can't figure out how to schedule them properly. What I want is for every Monday someone to swap the backup drive and take the other drive home. So basically there is a week 1 drive and a week 2 drive. As there are 5 week options within BackupExec I'm struggling to find the best way to set this up. (1st week, 2nd week, 3rd week, 4th week and last week)

Hope this makes sense to someone.

FYI I'm using BackupExec 11d

Thanks in advance!!

Dave

5 Comments

Are you going to backup every night ? Using what, a full and then daily diffs? Eg Full backup Monday and then diff tue-fri?
And then replace the backup drive the following Monday and repeat?

If so, set the Mon full to overwrite media and the daily diffs to append and set the schedule accordingly using the "Week Days" option, ticking the relevent days.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6987763

Are you going to backup every night ? Using what, a full and then daily … Are you going to backup every night ? Using what, a full and then daily diffs? Eg Full backup Monday and then diff tue-fri?And then replace the backup drive the following Monday and repeat?If so, set the Mon full to overwrite media and the daily diffs to append and set the schedule accordingly using the "Week Days" option, ticking the relevent days.

"Ticking the relevant days" is where I'm getting stuck. For example, I have 2 data backup jobs, 1 for Week 1 and one for week 2 and I need to set each job to backup alternate weeks, i.e Week 1 to backup the first week and 3rd week and Week 2 to backup the 2nd week and 4th week, but this doesn't cover all days in a month as there is still the "last" week option.

But aren't the backup jobs for week 1 and 2 the same? Or are you getting them to backup different things? Backupexec doesn't care that you will be swapping over the drive every week.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6988158

But aren't the backup jobs for week 1 and 2 the same? Or are you getting … But aren't the backup jobs for week 1 and 2 the same? Or are you getting them to backup different things? Backupexec doesn't care that you will be swapping over the drive every week.

Yep they are the same, but yes it does care that you swap the drive out. It recognises that it's not the same drive and therefore fails.

It fails even when you are setting it to overwrite for the first backup on the drive?
That's wierd, as it will still map to the same place that you assigned it to under the removable disk folder.

Another option if you can't get it to work is to get it backed up onto a regular folder somewhere and then manually (or schedule it) copy it over to the USB drive, that way you would only need the one backup job in BE.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Stock informer36
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247672
    3. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz810
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314662

See more discussions