Bacon, smoked or unsmoked and why?

Found 29th Dec 2011
The OH wont let me buy unsmoked, but theyre the same price, what is the actual difference?
Community Updates
MiscBacon
30 Comments
The taste is different lol
Smoked is supposed to have more flavour but I find it saltier.
I always buy unsmoked
Smoked is the only way to go unless you're following a specific recipe asking for unsmoked for some reason.
I was brought up on unsmoked but when I moved out and started making my own 'hangover' bacon sandwiches I bought smoked. Much tastier IMHO and I'd agree, slightly saltier. Lovely though! Try and get rindless, back bacon.
Smoked!! I find unsmoked bland and unappetising!
Smoked but only if its smoked in the traditional way not just flavoured like most are now. Taste is completely different.
One is smoked the other is not

Smoked all the way
Unsmoked bacon from the butchers and not the rubbish from supermarkets.
donaldduck2

Supermarket stuff is rubbish
Has to be smoked ,unsmoked was known as green bacon.
Jamie Oliver insists on smoked bacon. Not sure why I've retained that memory

I have no preference, both are tasty.
smoked all the way
Quorn.
funny.onion

Quorn.

Why is there no 'dislike' button on here? lol
unsmoked, smoked gives me heartburn
Smoked all the way, all the time.
Definately unsmoked as smoked is so salty.
Toasthduk

Supermarket stuff is rubbish

Totally agree.Not only is it tasteless the slices are as thin as tracing paper. I always buy it from my local butcher and his is cheaper too.
donaldduck2

Find me a Local butchers open when i am able to do my shopping then i might agree with with you.
The difference? The clue is in the name
i only buy smoked but disagree with the people saying supermarket stuff is crap. agreed the value or cheap stuff is, but some supermarkets sell pretty decent stuff. as long as your willing to pay the extra

i buy it also from the butchers, when i can get there. as their opening times are not as good as the supermarkets

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Mallinersha

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look … Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

What does that mean when translated to English?
Some supermarket stuff is rubbish, some isn't. They stock more than one type of bacon you know guys. Some butchers round here are awful too...
Either is perfectly beaut with uncut bread drizzled in Hp brown sauce! Nom nom.
harlzter

What does that mean when translated to English?

Bacon is for pigs.
newbie1001

Find me a Local butchers open when i am able to do my shopping then i … Find me a Local butchers open when i am able to do my shopping then i might agree with with you.

If your butcher is not open when you go shopping then obviously you have to buy from the supermarket. If you get a chance to get some from the butchers then give it a try because when I did I was very pleasantly surprised how good it was.
Smoked tastes like eating the remnants of a bonfire. Filthy.
Try not to eat bacon too often but when i do it has to be Simon Howie smoked. Lovely on a new york begal.
My preferences are.....
Smoked for using in recipes, pies, carbornara, etc.
Unsmoked (green) for bacon sarnies, thick sliced and not filled with water and chemicals preferably !

Now I'm hungry and there's 6 hours until brekky !
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants