Bad boiler install

Posted 23rd May
These jokers came and installed a boiler as part of govt. grant and charged us £300 extra for no apparent reason apart from the fact we couldn't have underfloor heating stuff put in

This was in Feb 2020
I noticed a few weeks later the pressure dropped to 0 and now having to top every 2 days on a brand new boiler
Theres even an extra pressure chamber from the old install as it was dropping but I don;t know if that's even connected to the new boiler

The installer doesn't want to come out without charging a fee
The grant company aren't answering!
I do have the gas safe engineers details

Please do note the bad wiring and stuff was already like that!

3470020-Idb9h.jpg
3470020-TPRPX.jpg

What would you do?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
You might be able to get more advise if you post on

reddit.com/r/L…eUK
Obviously you have a leak somewhere and it isn't forced to be from the New Boiler. You'd have to establish where the leak is before deciding what action to take.
Contact gassafe make a complaint. They may send an inspector round and if it is a dodgy install they have the means to rectify it
the pipework isn't new, so are you sure the leak is the boiler and not some of the old pipework?
This is purely an observation on the pictures, I'm not electrician by any means, just curious. But should that electrical switch not be so close to the boiler/pipes? Seems a bit dodgy if you get a leak.
Edited by: "richp" 23rd May
Could well be a pre existing radiator leak. We had a valve leaking that only became apparent after a new boiler was installed and the pressure kept dropping.
adamspencer9523/05/2020 16:57

the pipework isn't new, so are you sure the leak is the boiler and not …the pipework isn't new, so are you sure the leak is the boiler and not some of the old pipework?

There was no leak prior so can only assume not. We did get some water coming under the unit but we couldn't trace it
Anyone know if these two items should have been replaced and what they are? I think one is a filter?

THey also reused the same vertical flue!!

40849943-yL4xA.jpg
Edited by: "MakeItHotinHere" 23rd May
A government grant to replace an A rated boiler with another A rated boiler (if they re-used the flue it must have been A rated).

Turn the boiler off, top up the heating via the filling loop, isolate flow and return with the valves underneath and leave overnight. If the pressure drops it's the boiler leaking, if it doesn't it's your system. Your installer has every right to charge a fee if the leak is not on the parts he fitted.
MakeItHotinHere23/05/2020 17:09

Anyone know if these two items should have been replaced and what they …Anyone know if these two items should have been replaced and what they are? I think one is a filter?THey also reused the same vertical flue!![Image]

Report to gas safe and keep trying grant people. Call another unrelated engineer. If there is no visible
water leak around rads or in house, check the pipe that goes outside from boiler (not white one). That will show if the boiler is dumping the water out. If no leak inside house, it will be the internal or external expansion vessel has low charge (will be this if pressure rises high when using then goes to zero).

the right arrow is a filter and left arrow is just non return valve on one end of the filling loop that you use to repressurise the system
Edited by: "Sam223" 23rd May
adamspencer9523/05/2020 16:57

the pipework isn't new, so are you sure the leak is the boiler and not …the pipework isn't new, so are you sure the leak is the boiler and not some of the old pipework?

A new boiler can blow old joints from your old pipe work because the new boiler may have I higher pressure than the last , maybe you have a small leak leading to a drop in pressure , can you check all the joints
ashmac23/05/2020 17:40

A new boiler can blow old joints from your old pipe work because the new …A new boiler can blow old joints from your old pipe work because the new boiler may have I higher pressure than the last , maybe you have a small leak leading to a drop in pressure , can you check all the joints

While probably true, that scenario would still be a system problem and not the boiler installer.
adamspencer9523/05/2020 17:42

While probably true, that scenario would still be a system problem and not …While probably true, that scenario would still be a system problem and not the boiler installer.

What about old flue being used and not changing filter?
richp23/05/2020 16:58

This is purely an observation on the pictures, I'm not electrician by any …This is purely an observation on the pictures, I'm not electrician by any means, just curious. But should that electrical switch not be so close to the boiler/pipes? Seems a bit dodgy if you get a leak.

25mm away from electrical socket gas pipe must be, but gas pipework isn’t near the socket.
MakeItHotinHere23/05/2020 17:49

Was the boiler a straight swap? Eg: same brand swapped from existing? Eg: Ideal to ideal?
fannychmelar23/05/2020 18:00

Was the boiler a straight swap? Eg: same brand swapped from existing? Eg: …Was the boiler a straight swap? Eg: same brand swapped from existing? Eg: Ideal to ideal?

Yes same bosch but old one was a Greenstar 24i this is 30i
MakeItHotinHere23/05/2020 17:49

nothing in the regs which says it all has to be new
fannychmelar23/05/2020 17:58

25mm away from electrical socket gas pipe must be, but gas pipework isn’t n …25mm away from electrical socket gas pipe must be, but gas pipework isn’t near the socket.

Even though & I'm assuming it's a water pipe joint by the socket, could leak all over the socket?
when did you contact the gas engineer? if you only did that recently then it may explain why they want to charge for coming back as it has been 3 months since the boiler was installed.
richp23/05/2020 18:23

Even though & I'm assuming it's a water pipe joint by the socket, could …Even though & I'm assuming it's a water pipe joint by the socket, could leak all over the socket?

Im just talking about gas mate, could cause an explosive ignition. Unsure about water near electric
adamspencer9523/05/2020 18:11

nothing in the regs which says it all has to be new

Not regs but manufacturers instructions over rule gas regs, if manufacturer has stated that an old flue can be used then thats okay.
MakeItHotinHere23/05/2020 18:02

Yes same bosch but old one was a Greenstar 24i this is 30i

Possible that old flue could be compatible with the new boiler as its the same make just a higher kw
When you get a boiler / central heating under these grants do they not give you 12 month aftercare too?
ran123ran23/05/2020 22:02

When you get a boiler / central heating under these grants do they not …When you get a boiler / central heating under these grants do they not give you 12 month aftercare too?

Anyone know if these two items should have been replaced and what they are? I think one is a filter?

One is a descaler!
12178212201590250165.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions